Author Topic: buying a house  (Read 80718 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: buying a house
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
KCFDcat, have you approached HGTV for possible inclusion on a future episode of House Hunters or Property Virgins (w/ Sandra Rinomato)?

based upon your posts here i think you'd make a great subject for the show

this is a great option. do they pay you for that kind of stuff? I'll look into it. would wear an emaw shirt for every shot of course.

did you talk to anyone when you called HGTV? 

http://www.hgtv.com/about-us/are-you-getting-ready-to-buy-a-home/index.html

sending them an email as we speak. have to attach a picture. looking for something super elite and sexy. good thing I am both of those things.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
i got an FHA loan and didn't pay anything down.

That's how studs roll, OK Cat. Studs.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »

more info please. everything I see says 3.5% which is good but if I could get away with zero i'd probably buy tomorrow.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
plus it was that year when they gave first time homebuyers 10% of the value of the house back to you at tax time.

:D

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »

more info please. everything I see says 3.5% which is good but if I could get away with zero i'd probably buy tomorrow.

i don't really know details...my bank just said i could get it.  i think she said that there is so much money that they can give away each 6 months, and its a first come first serve thing.  but i don't know the qualifying deets.  my wife was a student at the time, so we were rolling on one income so that may or may not have had something to do with it.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:54 PM »
plus it was that year when they gave first time homebuyers 10% of the value of the house back to you at tax time.

really bummed I missed out on this. really bummed.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »

really bummed I missed out on this. really bummed.

Don't be bummed. There are still all kinds of good programs for first time buyers.

The first thing you should do is pick a lender, they'll let you know everything you're eligible for, and get pre-approved.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Plan on spending twice as much time and money as you expect on your fixer upper.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
You should be able to get a nice house in decent shape in brookside for 150-170, probably wouldnt have to do anything major in regards to fixer upping.

Make sure you stay west of troost  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
unless you plan on living there forever, be careful and set a limit on how much fixing you're going to do to it.....at some point, your house is only going to get so high in value before it hits a ceiling due to neighborhood and other factors.  don't put twice as much money into it than it's worth.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »

When you buy a house, you can negotiate that the seller covers that. I did that when I bought my house 4 years ago. All I had to pay for was escrow, inspection, title company and maybe something else. That's still a couple thousand bucks.

When I refinanced last year, I had put enough into my house, my new value was high enough for me to not need an FHA loan which gets rid of mortgage insurance.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
if you're a contractor, you can clean up.  most people have no idea what they're buying - you will.  and you can renovate cheap.

a 5% down conventional loan will mean you'll be paying for private mortgage insurance.  which is expensive.  if you can put the 20% down, do it.  if you need to go with less, just pay off the principle as fast as you can till you hit 20% (you don't need pmi after 20%).  on the fha low down payment loans, i think they go as low as 3% down, but you're still paying for mortgage insurance (not private, might be a little cheaper, but you're still paying).

shop around a lot for your loan.  the terms and costs vary a lot.  i got mine through costco's screening thing, and the discount was substantially more than the membership fee.  the bank i used was in the kc area.  they were ok to deal with and (obviously) the lowest price i found for the loan i wanted.  kinda mumped me over on rate lock fees when my closing was delayed.   i expect other banks would have done the same though.  anyways, capwest mortgage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
just buy a house that doesn't need fixing up and spend your extra free time bingeing and watching the cats.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
just buy a house that doesn't need fixing up and spend your extra free time bingeing and watching the cats.

rick, please don't post my insider pro-tips on the public board going forward ok. tia.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
if you're a contractor, you can clean up.  most people have no idea what they're buying - you will.  and you can renovate cheap.

a 5% down conventional loan will mean you'll be paying for private mortgage insurance.  which is expensive.  if you can put the 20% down, do it.  if you need to go with less, just pay off the principle as fast as you can till you hit 20% (you don't need pmi after 20%).  on the fha low down payment loans, i think they go as low as 3% down, but you're still paying for mortgage insurance (not private, might be a little cheaper, but you're still paying).

shop around a lot for your loan.  the terms and costs vary a lot.  i got mine through costco's screening thing, and the discount was substantially more than the membership fee.  the bank i used was in the kc area.  they were ok to deal with and (obviously) the lowest price i found for the loan i wanted.  kinda mumped me over on rate lock fees when my closing was delayed.   i expect other banks would have done the same though.  anyways, capwest mortgage.

Thats a good point on the PMI, my buddy that only put 5% down is paying an additional $200 a month to reach the 20% level faster so he doesnt have to pay for the PMI.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
if he qualifies for an FHA he won't have to pay PMI

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »
make sure and contact the FBI about the DEA and the CIA from the whitehouse.gov and ask them about the PMI from the FHA because otherwise the VMI and the AFA will contact TMZ and you and your future bride are gonna be royally mumped. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

no nazi comment, since we're friends again, but you're still wrong.  not pmi, but still pays mi - doubt if he cares to whom he pays.  :nono:

http://www.fha.com/fha_requirements_mortgage_insurance.cfm
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

is this true? how much is pmi typically? from everything I read I do qualify for FHA. good credit, pretty much no debt, small car payment (on an elite 2012 grand cherokee I might add)

the credit union I got my auto loan from will do a 5% down for me at 3.75% still going to try to go FHA though...

also what's the deal with "closing costs" i hear on HH a lot that the seller will pay that. is that true? did not realize they run about 3k. sheesh.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »

no nazi comment, since we're friends again, but you're still wrong.  not pmi, but still pays mi - doubt if he cares to whom he pays.  :nono:

http://www.fha.com/fha_requirements_mortgage_insurance.cfm

huh, did not know that

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
KCFDCat, find a realtor. Find one you trust who has experience in the area in which you want to purchase. I would not use any of the advice garnered here -- except mine.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
KCFDCat, find a realtor. Find one you trust who has experience in the area in which you want to purchase. I would not use any of the advice garnered here -- except mine.

Yeah, if you love handing money to someone to do stuff you can easily do yourself then definitely get a buyers agent.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
The sellers typically DO pay the costs of the buyer's and seller's agents. (Most other costs are left up to the buyer unless negotiated in purchase contract.)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »

Yeah, if you love handing money to someone to do stuff you can easily do yourself then definitely get a buyers agent.

this worries me. don't want to unnecessarily pay people money, but also don't want to miss out on saving money down the road or taking advantage of some program i've never heard of. lots of decisions to make here.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
The sellers typically DO pay the costs of the buyer's and seller's agents. (Most other costs are left up to the buyer unless negotiated in purchase contract.)

I don't think you have a really solid grasp on how exchanges of money for goods work