Author Topic: Video games master thread  (Read 605109 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread
« Reply #5775 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
lil sd is almost 5. is that too young to enjoy a Switch? like, can a 5 year old enjoy mario cart?

Judging by my nephews, he can enjoy it but you are a few years away from getting anywhere close to a competitive game.  My nephew mainly enjoyed open world games where he could wander about with no clear objective at that age.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
Downloaded Fortnite this weekend and I have to say for my gaming style that it is far superior of an experience to PUBG. I don't feel like I play often enough to really hone skills involved with shooting / stealth in hyper realistic shooting games.

Thoughts:

• If someone is already exceptional at most modern shooters - Call of Duty and the like - PUBG will feel more familiar.
  • Fortnite adds a fun dimension with the ability to build and destroy that adds a layer of creativity that I find appealing.
  • The rounds in FN are much quicker. For someone that has trouble finding time in their schedule to fit in gaming, I enjoy that I can knock out a few matches in a relatively short amount of time.
  • I also enjoy that my complete lack of gun knowledge doesn't come into play. In PUBG I have to understand which guns use which bullets and gather parts for guns and quickly know which will work and which wont. FN has eliminated that to give the user more time to concentrate on other things.
  • The daily challenges and point system on FN gives me things to aim for while I figure out the mechanics of the game. 
  • FN doesn't have vehicles, so you arent at the mercy of the 5 people who found cars if you are trying to get into the safe zone but have to run through a large open field. 

Both games are a lot of fun, but for now I think I'll probably be playing a lot more FN and save PUBG for when I have a weekend of time to kill.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: January 29, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
100% agree YD.  I've never played PUBG, but one of my buddies is Top 500 in NA and I've watched him play some.  It seems very fun, but very complicated -- and i imagine it would be even harder to do with a console. 

FN is action packed from the get-go if you play it right, and the building allows for a lot of creativity (like you said) and goofiness. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: January 29, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »
Update: I've played 5 games of FN. My longest game was 9 minutes (!). I killed some dude with my war hammer and some dude with a pistol gun. That's right, 2 kills. I have no idea how to build, not even gonna try to learn. Just wanna ace some greaseballs with a sniper.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: January 29, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Update: I've played 5 games of FN. My longest game was 9 minutes (!). I killed some dude with my war hammer and some dude with a pistol gun. That's right, 2 kills. I have no idea how to build, not even gonna try to learn. Just wanna ace some greaseballs with a sniper.

One of the things that actually helped me get a lot better was to watch the person who killed me as the game went on. Seeing their strategy for building allowed me to emulate it almost immediately the next time I played. I spent a few games just falling to the edges of the map and practicing building. Now it is like second nature.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »
building isn't very complex.  so long as you can build 4 walls and a ramp quickly (i.e. whenever you're being shot at), that's 90% of what you need to know about building.  the other 10% is building ramps up mountains and to get better high-ground angles on fools.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
got a top 10 finish last night, plus another kill omg.

Also, since I don't have a headset thingy it's probably stupid to do duo's or quad's right?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »

Also, since I don't have a headset thingy it's probably stupid to do duo's or quad's right?
Yeah unless you run party's and play with people you know duos and squads are very hard to play as.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »

Realtalk: a headset is a HUGE advantage.  You can hear and locate footsteps and gunshots a lot easier.  If you notice that you're in one of the Tilted Towers buildings and someone pops around a corner and shotguns you, it's because they heard you coming.

If I didn't have a headset I wouldn't play.  It would seem almost unfair.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
Red Dead 2 coming 10/26

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
 :impatient:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: February 01, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
been playing this beaut for a while now.

The Big Train

« Reply #5788 on: February 01, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: February 01, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »

Are you playing it on PC?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5790 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
I've been playing little red lie. Grim.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: February 03, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »

ANSWER THE rough ridin' QUESTION, KAT KID!

The Big Train

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: February 23, 2018, 01:04:22 AM »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
those guys should be banned for teaming up in solo.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5795 on: February 23, 2018, 09:03:55 AM »
I am pretty excited about the secret of Mana remake.
Update guys:
I bought it and it's fun.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: February 23, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »

ANSWER THE rough ridin' QUESTION, KAT KID!

macbook

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: February 23, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
everyone - I have simply wonderful news. I won my first squad game. Only had 1 kill but my squad carried me. #blest

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: February 23, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
everyone - I have simply wonderful news. I won my first squad game. Only had 1 kill but my squad carried me. #blest
Grats dude!  Great feeling.  We got a win last night too, no thanks to me.  I died just after the first circle.

I think the new update is great --  Looks 1000x better.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: February 23, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Got an NES Classic for my kids to show them what real video games were like. I forget how effing hard these games are. Or maybe the controller or emulator is laggy? My jumps in games like Mario, Metroid, and especially Megaman 2 are all over the damn place. I have decided I am finally going to beat Zelda 2, which I gave up on as a kid. But that is a hard game to like.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.