Re: jobs
« Reply #2350 on: November 30, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
I've been at my job for over six months now. I'm feeling totally comfortable with everything, so I figured it's time to do some scheming to start working from home part time. For Phase I of my plan, I told my boss that I'm setting up a workstation at my house for those winter days when kids are home sick from school or the weather is bad. He was like, "Aww, yeah, dude. I'm all about working from home." (He does himself a fair amount.) "What do you need? Docking station, monitors? I'll get those ordered." Apparently, there is neither a need for me to go to the store this time nor for any additional phases to my plan.

My job is so insanely cushy that part of the reason I want to work from home is to see if I can pull off working another job remote. Full time, part time, permanent, contract, whatever. I figure, even if I only last a couple of months, that'll be a shitload of extra money to have without much difficulty.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
  :Chirp:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2353 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
I've been at my job for over six months now. I'm feeling totally comfortable with everything, so I figured it's time to do some scheming to start working from home part time. For Phase I of my plan, I told my boss that I'm setting up a workstation at my house for those winter days when kids are home sick from school or the weather is bad. He was like, "Aww, yeah, dude. I'm all about working from home." (He does himself a fair amount.) "What do you need? Docking station, monitors? I'll get those ordered." Apparently, there is neither a need for me to go to the store this time nor for any additional phases to my plan.

My job is so insanely cushy that part of the reason I want to work from home is to see if I can pull off working another job remote. Full time, part time, permanent, contract, whatever. I figure, even if I only last a couple of months, that'll be a shitload of extra money to have without much difficulty.
I roll something like that. Consulting work a few times a month for some nice extra coin.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: December 01, 2017, 04:42:19 AM »
I no longer have one.
:frown:

Never saw this reply. I went full-time gambool. It's been great so far. Super-stressful sometimes but usually a breeze.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
@chum1 You should see if there's some sort of PT job out there for retweeting MSNBC hottakes 24/7/365 :thumbsup:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 01, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
So, last week, we had a company wide meeting regarding open enrollment. Going in, we'd been told that the owner/CEO of the company was going to give us some info on a second voluntary life insurance product available starting in 2018. Once we were in there, I started realizing that it sounded more like a sales pitch and that the owner/CEO must be getting some sales commission. THEN, I get this in my email this morning:

As a follow up to [redacted]’s conversation with everyone on Friday regarding our new whole life insurance product, we will be reaching out to each of you to schedule 30 minutes to explain exactly how the new product will work for you personally and what the cost will be for you and your family.  Thank you!
what in the world lol? is your boss selling aflac on the side?

Certainly seems that way. Like, if he was just doing a favor or quid pro quo for a friend or whatever, wouldn't the friend be the one doing the selling? Here is the follow up:

Thank you for those of you that participated in the open enrollment meeting last Friday.  I appreciated the opportunity to share with you a little bit about the new product we will be offering through Mass Mutual this year.  I would like to invite you to set up a time to meet with me one on one and learn a little bit more about the product and its potential value for you and your family.  Please reach out to myself or [redacted] via email and I will look forward to sitting down and discussing the details of the offering.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 01, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
So, last week, we had a company wide meeting regarding open enrollment. Going in, we'd been told that the owner/CEO of the company was going to give us some info on a second voluntary life insurance product available starting in 2018. Once we were in there, I started realizing that it sounded more like a sales pitch and that the owner/CEO must be getting some sales commission. THEN, I get this in my email this morning:

As a follow up to [redacted]’s conversation with everyone on Friday regarding our new whole life insurance product, we will be reaching out to each of you to schedule 30 minutes to explain exactly how the new product will work for you personally and what the cost will be for you and your family.  Thank you!
what in the world lol? is your boss selling aflac on the side?

Certainly seems that way. Like, if he was just doing a favor or quid pro quo for a friend or whatever, wouldn't the friend be the one doing the selling? Here is the follow up:

Thank you for those of you that participated in the open enrollment meeting last Friday.  I appreciated the opportunity to share with you a little bit about the new product we will be offering through Mass Mutual this year.  I would like to invite you to set up a time to meet with me one on one and learn a little bit more about the product and its potential value for you and your family.  Please reach out to myself or [redacted] via email and I will look forward to sitting down and discussing the details of the offering.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

bet when he's "working from home" he's really enrolling at other companies.

The Big Train

« Reply #2358 on: December 02, 2017, 12:09:15 AM »
  :Chirp:

So are you gonna be making decisions instead of just estimating what decisions could be made?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 02, 2017, 07:02:28 AM »
I will say this, Drumpf has mumped a lot of this type of stuff up in the last year. It's 10X harder.

Indeed, my gf got here visa renewal rejected today for insufficient evidence, whatever tf that means (haven't read the letter yet). We're hoping to get some of this sorted out tomorrow. She's been here for 4 years for fucks sake.

She's been applying to get it renewed since January, and everything was fine until you can guess what day. Got a lawyer helping her out and everything. The whole thing is stupid.

Sounds like someone is turning up the pressure for a proposal.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 02, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
I will say this, Drumpf has mumped a lot of this type of stuff up in the last year. It's 10X harder.

Indeed, my gf got here visa renewal rejected today for insufficient evidence, whatever tf that means (haven't read the letter yet). We're hoping to get some of this sorted out tomorrow. She's been here for 4 years for fucks sake.

She's been applying to get it renewed since January, and everything was fine until you can guess what day. Got a lawyer helping her out and everything. The whole thing is stupid.

Yea not to derail this thread but cfbandyman should be on high alert.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: December 04, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »

Yea not to derail this thread but cfbandyman should be on high alert.

She's had a rough go already with this sort of stuff, I won't get into details but suffice to say she's been through a marriage already, guy was a POS, she doesn't want to deal with that angle. Trust me I was the one who broached that approach.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

The Big Train

« Reply #2362 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
So you guys who work from home, do you have an “office” that you work from?  When I say “office” it could be an extra bedroom or an actual in home office.  Somewhere you go that when you walk in that area it’s just for work.

I’m currently evaluating my living situation and wanting to scale up.  I have a million ideas for applications and stuff.  My issue is I don’t have a dedicated office space to focus.  When I leave work and come home, I don’t want to intermingle watching TV with working on projects.  Right now i just leave and go to Radinas/Bluestem/Hale/etc. 

When I’m at work I am focused all day because that’s my work space.  Money calls and eventually I’ll have the opportunity to make exponentially what I make now.  In the mean time I have ideas that could be making me money, but have no space at home to be in the proper mindset.

Thoughts?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: December 07, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
So you guys who work from home, do you have an “office” that you work from?  When I say “office” it could be an extra bedroom or an actual in home office.  Somewhere you go that when you walk in that area it’s just for work.

I’m currently evaluating my living situation and wanting to scale up.  I have a million ideas for applications and stuff.  My issue is I don’t have a dedicated office space to focus.  When I leave work and come home, I don’t want to intermingle watching TV with working on projects.  Right now i just leave and go to Radinas/Bluestem/Hale/etc. 

When I’m at work I am focused all day because that’s my work space.  Money calls and eventually I’ll have the opportunity to make exponentially what I make now.  In the mean time I have ideas that could be making me money, but have no space at home to be in the proper mindset.

Thoughts?

The Big Train

« Reply #2364 on: December 07, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
:dubious:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
If you can't trust yourself around a TV, working from home is not for you.

The Big Train

« Reply #2366 on: December 07, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »
If you can't trust yourself around a TV, working from home is not for you.

I’ve worked from home before.  I don’t now it’s just development ideas that I work on for fun.  Like i said it’s more of a mindset, instead of working on stuff sitting on the couch I would like my desk to not be where I sleep or relax. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
Sounds like you need a home office dude
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
:dubious:
both my bros work from home and both have a separate office. one is in the basement and the other has an adjacent room to the living room.
they both like the flexibility but think they don't like having any office mates to chat with.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
I don't find there is anything on TV during the day that is distracting at all. I'm perfectly capable of getting work done with The People's Court going on in the background.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
I don't find there is anything on TV during the day that is distracting at all. I'm perfectly capable of getting work done with The People's Court going on in the background.
I like the background noise. Parks and rec has me lol'ing while I work from home.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
10-11 I'd be glued to price is right if I was home

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2372 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
I have an office space in my home. No TV in there. I run a box fan for white noise or stream some tunes.

Having a separate space definitely helps me with focus. I can crank through projects quite well. If I'm just monitoring email, I'll move to the couch for some ESPN noise and a focus break.

Don't miss co-worker interruptions at all. I get enough of that when I travel to one of the locations I support.

I have co-workers that will dress for the day as they would for a meeting. They claim it gets them in work mode. I'm in stretchy pants and sweatshirt when I'm home.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: December 07, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
A couple of people I work with listen to TV while they work. Like Seinfeld or whatever. They say it makes they day go by super fast.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Looking to get into the job market and maybe looking to network with some fellow tech cats. I'm a Computer Science major and currently looking for IT jobs over the summer in either MHK or Wichita. If you know any stud cats that are willing to help an undergrad out pm me! I have been looking and applied for internships one of em I won't hear back from til next week. TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023