Author Topic: Can we talk Stokes?  (Read 16550 times)

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Can we talk Stokes?
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
It seemed like the cats tried to drive early and after a couple of trips gerting grabbed / hacked with no call they backed off.

It was about the time oscar was livid (relatively, for him anyway) and was yelling "You're going to have to win it with defense guys"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »

It seemed like the cats tried to drive early and after a couple of trips gerting grabbed / hacked with no call they backed off.

It was about the time oscar was livid (relatively, for him anyway) and was yelling "You're going to have to win it with defense guys"

What a moron, if true

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »

What a moron, if true

I mean.  He was right.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »

What a moron, if true

This was my fav part of the game. You could hear him yell it several times. “We’re going to have to win it with defense guys”. “I’m all out of ideas on the other side of the ball”.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
I guess they driving tried again early in the 2nd half, picked up a couple of charge fouls, Diarra shot a layup over the backboard, then gave up again. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:43 AM »
I more wanted them to increase tempo, not necessarily drive more.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
he scored the first 7 points vs creighton, idiots

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »

It is weird they thought of UMBC as a fast paced team. I suppose oscar was scared of losing people in transition for 3s, which UMBC does like, but they didn't play particularly fast on offense, just a little bit faster than us on average.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »

It is weird they thought of UMBC as a fast paced team. I suppose oscar was scared of losing people in transition for 3s, which UMBC does like, but they didn't play particularly fast on offense, just a little bit faster than us on average.

they definitely TRY to play fast, if the initial transition opportunity isn't there they back it out and run clock. However, trying to push tempo on offense doesn't necessarily mean you are going to consequently give up transition buckets.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »

they definitely TRY to play fast, if the initial transition opportunity isn't there they back it out and run clock. However, trying to push tempo on offense doesn't necessarily mean you are going to consequently give up transition buckets.

I agree. But with us playing smaller, I'm sure the staff feared even worse rebounding and thus giving up some stuff in transition. Also, when Barry was struggling to finish on the break I was okay with slowing it down a bit. No one else on our team is really good in transition unless Sneed is dunking it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »

I agree. But with us playing smaller, I'm sure the staff feared even worse rebounding and thus giving up some stuff in transition. Also, when Barry was struggling to finish on the break I was okay with slowing it down a bit. No one else on our team is really good in transition unless Sneed is dunking it.

I'm not thinking of transition offense as just fast break layups, it's just trying to create better opportunities than you'd get in a half court set. Like the worst one was late in the second half when Myles was on the floor from a missed layup, we had a clear 5 on 4, then just walked it to the wing and let Myles recover, but there were several like that. Plus we should have been less fatigued than them and running from the start could have led to a blowout, even if we try to push every possession but pull back if it isn't there like UMBC did against UVA.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »

I'm not thinking of transition offense as just fast break layups, it's just trying to create better opportunities than you'd get in a half court set. Like the worst one was late in the second half when Myles was on the floor from a missed layup, we had a clear 5 on 4, then just walked it to the wing and let Myles recover, but there were several like that. Plus we should have been less fatigued than them and running from the start could have led to a blowout, even if we try to push every possession but pull back if it isn't there like UMBC did against UVA.

Yeah, oscar has never been a big early offense guy, at least at K-State. Our late shot clock ball screen and let Barry drive it didn't do a whole lot, especially with Barry missing more than normal on his crazy lay ups.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
Kamau is thinking too much offensively. You can see his hesitation. He wasn't always this way. He belongs on this team, I'm kind of surprised how quickly people have reacted against him. That being said, he is playing awful basketball right now.

As far as the game, we didn't make 3s, probably why we didn't win handily. You could argue that not getting to the rim and scoring prevented us from getting decent looks from 3, but I felt like we were getting looks from deep, just not making them. I think the pace of play was largely due to limited scouting time, as people have noted, plus both teams are fairly slow pace of play anyways.

Kentucky has athletes and are probably playing their best ball of the season. They'll have significant time to prepare for us. We desperately need Deanwolf to be the best player on the floor Thursday in Atlanta. Will Mawien guard Knox? Or Dean?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
Kamau is thinking too much offensively. You can see his hesitation. He wasn't always this way. He belongs on this team, I'm kind of surprised how quickly people have reacted against him. That being said, he is playing awful basketball right now.

As far as the game, we didn't make 3s, probably why we didn't win handily. You could argue that not getting to the rim and scoring prevented us from getting decent looks from 3, but I felt like we were getting looks from deep, just not making them. I think the pace of play was largely due to limited scouting time, as people have noted, plus both teams are fairly slow pace of play anyways.

Kentucky has athletes and are probably playing their best ball of the season. They'll have significant time to prepare for us. We desperately need Deanwolf to be the best player on the floor Thursday in Atlanta. Will Mawien guard Knox? Or Dean?

several players are getting bruced this year, if i'm kam, i'm pulling my head out of my ass before i'm on the list

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »

What a moron, if true

Did you not see this, the camera was directly in his face when he said it, I'm not sure the characterization of the context is fair because we have no idea what he said before that. I didn't interpret the context the same way the whale did.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »

What a moron, if true

Did you not see this, the camera was directly in his face when he said it, I'm not sure the characterization of the context is fair because we have no idea what he said before that. I didn't interpret the context the same way the whale did.

I didn't see it

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »
no, eff kam but id like to talk more about magic mike and how much of a bad ass he is

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

several players are getting bruced this year, if i'm kam, i'm pulling my head out of my ass before i'm on the list

Who do you expect to get bruced?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
I think Patrick and Sallah are pretty handsome contenders.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Kam's jumper at the 7 minute mark right after he nearly turned it over was a pretty big shot.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
I think Patrick and Sallah are pretty handsome contenders.

Yeah, and I think Shadd or Love hits the bricks as well.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »
Kam's jumper at the 7 minute mark right after he nearly turned it over was a pretty big shot.
Every made shot on a game where you score 0.75 PPP is a big shot

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
I want us to create more fast break chances too,  ur we were atrocious in transition. We had fast breaks end in zero points a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
I want us to create more fast break chances too,  ur we were atrocious in transition. We had fast breaks end in zero points a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had fast breaks end in charges a lot

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
We had half court sets end in zero points a lot