Author Topic: The trade wars begin  (Read 114410 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: The trade wars begin
« Reply #200 on: May 31, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
I think everyone will agree economies operate most efficiently with lots of government intervention

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 31, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
So which European companies are bankrupting our steel and aluminum industries?

Apparently you haven't noticed the general trendline of the steel industry in the United States.

GM dumped Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn because they were basically the exact same cars as most other GM lines only with slightly different body styles.  Built on the same chassis and platforms, unnecessary redundancy.   To turn those lines back into viable stand alone entities with their own real design shops and ability to essentially go their own way would have cost GM money they did not have.

Any other questions?

I have noticed this. And I know something about this trend that you don't know - foreign companies may be holding the knife, but American companies put the knife in their hands. Throughout all of the 90s and the aughts, American companies that use lots of steel have sent their best metallurgical engineers to dumphole mills in india, china and other developing nations to teach them how to make high-quality steel. Because for those companies, it makes total sense - teach these other nations how to make really good steel = more supply = cheaper steel. Trump can apply the tariffs, but American manufacturers are just going to find new mills in other developing nations and coach 'em up. This isn't going to stop.

Are Tariff's permanent things?  Was the EU invited to the negotiating table?   Will these tariffs drive more investment by European companies in the U.S. for things like plants etc. etc?

No. You think European Steel and Aluminum companies are going to build mills in the US?  :lol:  :lol:  Sure, I mean, if they like losing money  :lol:  :lol:

It was a pretty simple question.  Why would they lose money?   

For example the I-85 corridor between CLT and ATL and particularly around the GVSP area is filled with offices and plants from Euro based companies. 

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
So which European companies are bankrupting our steel and aluminum industries?

Apparently you haven't noticed the general trendline of the steel industry in the United States.

GM dumped Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn because they were basically the exact same cars as most other GM lines only with slightly different body styles.  Built on the same chassis and platforms, unnecessary redundancy.   To turn those lines back into viable stand alone entities with their own real design shops and ability to essentially go their own way would have cost GM money they did not have.

Any other questions?

I have noticed this. And I know something about this trend that you don't know - foreign companies may be holding the knife, but American companies put the knife in their hands. Throughout all of the 90s and the aughts, American companies that use lots of steel have sent their best metallurgical engineers to dumphole mills in india, china and other developing nations to teach them how to make high-quality steel. Because for those companies, it makes total sense - teach these other nations how to make really good steel = more supply = cheaper steel. Trump can apply the tariffs, but American manufacturers are just going to find new mills in other developing nations and coach 'em up. This isn't going to stop.

Are Tariff's permanent things?  Was the EU invited to the negotiating table?   Will these tariffs drive more investment by European companies in the U.S. for things like plants etc. etc?

No. You think European Steel and Aluminum companies are going to build mills in the US?  :lol:  :lol:  Sure, I mean, if they like losing money  :lol:  :lol:

It was a pretty simple question.  Why would they lose money?   

For example the I-85 corridor between CLT and ATL and particularly around the GVSP area is filled with offices and plants from Euro based companies.

...in other industries. None of those are steel mills. You correctly noted a handful of posts ago that American steel is failing. With disadvantages like a highly-paid workforce and a relative dearth of local ore, why would a foreign company do better here?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
I don't know trey, you'll have to tell me why they would or wouldn't.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
Instead of constantly changing the parameters of your argument, you should really just give up the ghost alot quicker during your bullshitting sessions

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »
Instead of constantly changing the parameters of your argument, you should really just give up the ghost alot quicker during your bullshitting sessions

What parameters changed?  Seems like pretty logical questions being that I live in part of the world that has a substantial Euro industrial presence, and a fairly substantial steel industry as well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
I'm not sure anyone really GAF about President Trump pardoning the racist guy but good points here echo'ing what sys posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1002370977303531520

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Looks like those sum bitches south of the border are going to pay for that wall after all!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2018, 09:30:06 PM »
Looks like those sum bitches south of the border are going to pay for that wall after all!

should help our trade deficit south of the border that our president keeps tweeting about for sure

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
reagan is a pinko commie social justice warrior compared to the new right

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
He dunked on Russia.  Run ruled them

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »
I predict we win these wars handily
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »
Reagan is the reason we have a lot of the problems we have now. He decimated unions, increased wealth inequality through his disastrous tax cuts, tripled the debt during his time, deregulated everything he could. However, for some reason people believe he’s a saint I have no idea why people love him. The dream of Reagan and his ilk was to make the US entirely as broke and screwed as Kansas and Mississippi.

Well friend, in the context of the Great Recession nothing was as painful as the repeal of Glass Steagill and the constant pressure by the Clinton Administration to loosen mortgage lending requirements.  Which even had the hated W administration warning on Fannie and Freddie straight out. 

In regards to unions.  What was the primer for the biggest bailout in US corporate history? 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
Alright! Retaliate against the retaliation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2018, 07:33:11 AM »
Will Trump be the first to say Uncle (Xi)?  <--- Elite cult of personality joke

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
Very exciting to see prices of everything go up right in front of our eyes....all in the name of dinger waging.

gobbling up that tax break to own the libs.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
If these other countries would just tack 200% tariffs on all Trump-owned businesses, we would give them everything they want and more in any potential trade deal. They aren't going about this the right way.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
Trump said trade wars are easy to win, so we should have this all wrapped up by the weekend right?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »
Look at the Berners whining about trump doing bernie stuff!!!!
 :lol:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd