Author Topic: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week  (Read 9785 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
They also didn't "burn for down the shittiest part of l.a." unless you consider multiple parts the shittiest part.

Come on now, they didn't burn place he would ever step foot in, so to him they were the shitty parts of town.

FSD the kind of dude who would have gone to the Cat's game at USC till he saw the driving directions and he was afraid of making a wrong turn south of campus.

Most of the fires weren't in South Central, they were in Koreatown which is 10 miles away from "the hood."

You asked what people remembered and I told you. Turns out he died from od'ing on pcp, so that got jumbled in there.  Again, no reason to get mad or nasty.

I really don't recall anything about the riots, and if you're more than 6 blocks from the ocean, there really aren't any nice parts of l.a.

He drowned and Beverly Hills is closer to the location of the riots than it is to the ocean. You must be the world's most blissful person.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »
I remember footage but do not remember it being discussed much.

Great wiki page to read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

INTERESTING FACT I LEARNED (AMONG MANY): Katy Tur's dad was a helicopter reporter that shot the Denny beating and changed genders not long ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoey_Tur

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
so what we've learned is that most people here from small towns in kansas have little to no recollection of the los angeles riots of the early 90's as they were too young and too distant from the events despite nearly a billion dollars worth of property damage occurring 

not all that surprised.  i remember them well, but i am old balls and love los angeles. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
I remember talking about them in school a lot. I went to a pretty mixed raced school at the time. I'd love to hear more about why it was so significant to you MIR. I remember them well but there isn't much long term impact for me

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
They also didn't "burn for down the shittiest part of l.a." unless you consider multiple parts the shittiest part.

Come on now, they didn't burn place he would ever step foot in, so to him they were the shitty parts of town.

FSD the kind of dude who would have gone to the Cat's game at USC till he saw the driving directions and he was afraid of making a wrong turn south of campus.

Most of the fires weren't in South Central, they were in Koreatown which is 10 miles away from "the hood."

You asked what people remembered and I told you. Turns out he died from od'ing on pcp, so that got jumbled in there.  Again, no reason to get mad or nasty.

I really don't recall anything about the riots, and if you're more than 6 blocks from the ocean, there really aren't any nice parts of l.a.

He drowned and Beverly Hills is closer to the location of the riots than it is to the ocean. You must be the world's most blissful person.

Blissful:

Rodney King's death in June was the result of accidental drowning, although alcohol, cocaine, marijuana and PCP found in his system were contributing factors, authorities said Thursday.
King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in the swimming pool at his Rialto, California, home on June 17, authorities and his fiancee said. He was 47.
King was "in a state of drug and alcohol-induced delirium" and "either fell or jumped into the swimming pool," said the autopsy report released by the San Bernardino County coroner Thursday.
Family, friends remember Rodney King at funeral
"The effects of the drugs and alcohol, combined with the subject's heart condition, probably precipitated a cardiac arrhythmia and the subject, thus incapacitated, was unable to save himself and drowned," the autopsy summary said. "There is nothing in the history or autopsy examination to suggest suicide or homicide, and the manner of death is therefore judged to be accident."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/us/rodney-king-autopsy/

MIR: I want to discuss something, unless you disagree with me, then I'll personally attack you, because I'm angry and mean and generally just regurgitating crap I heard.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »

Blissful:

Rodney King's death in June was the result of accidental drowning, although alcohol, cocaine, marijuana and PCP found in his system were contributing factors, authorities said Thursday.
King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in the swimming pool at his Rialto, California, home on June 17, authorities and his fiancee said. He was 47.
King was "in a state of drug and alcohol-induced delirium" and "either fell or jumped into the swimming pool," said the autopsy report released by the San Bernardino County coroner Thursday.
"The effects of the drugs and alcohol, combined with the subject's heart condition, probably precipitated a cardiac arrhythmia and the subject, thus incapacitated, was unable to save himself and drowned," the autopsy summary said. "There is nothing in the history or autopsy examination to suggest suicide or homicide, and the manner of death is therefore judged to be accident."

MIR: I want to discuss something, unless you disagree with me, then I'll personally attack you, because I'm angry and mean and generally just regurgitating crap I heard.

We haven't disagreed on anything, you just keep typing incorrect "facts," I correct you, you whine. You stated that he ODed on PCP, I know reading is difficult for you but what you just posted contradicts that he ODed on PCP, he drowned just like I said he did.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »
I remember talking about them in school a lot. I went to a pretty mixed raced school at the time. I'd love to hear more about why it was so significant to you MIR. I remember them well but there isn't much long term impact for me

The larger significance to me was for the first time I was forced to take a look at race and the role it played in the country and in my life. Because of a combination of my age and where I spent the previous six years of my life, I was kind of ignorant of such things. Black people, at the time were such a non-entity in Garden City, that I was on a racial island. There were lots of conversations about the Hispanic and the Southeast Asian communities but I had nothing. The Rodney Kind video, and subsequent evidence of how the officers viewed King and black people in general, made me scared, the verdict made me angry. The only outlet I had was to go home after working at Dillon's every day and watching television.

Honestly it was the event that led me to explore what it was to be black in America, it pushed me out of a shell; to use a term from today, I got woke, real quick.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »
My spanish teacher in 8th grade was a cop during the riots and had a framed front page of the L.A. Times on the wall. It had a huge photo of him dragging a rioter on the ground. I didn't think much of it of the time but in retrospect that was pretty mumped up to proudly frame.

This was in 1998 btw, and the school he taught me at was in Guam (not close to L.A. for low pacific island IQ people.). Recalling all that just now I wonder if he got fired over that picture? That's a big career change/move in a few years timespan
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:27:56 PM by AbeFroman »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »

Blissful:

We haven't disagreed on anything, you just keep typing incorrect "facts," I correct you, you whine. You stated that he ODed on PCP, I know reading is difficult for you but what you just posted contradicts that he ODed on PCP, he drowned just like I said he did.

You are a lunatic
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »
My spanish teacher in 8th grade was a cop during the riots and had a framed front page of the L.A. Times on the wall. It had a huge photo of him dragging a rioter on the ground. I didn't think much of it of the time but in retrospect that was pretty mumped up to proudly frame.

This was in 1998 btw, and the school he taught me at was in Guam (not close to L.A. for low pacific island IQ people.). Recalling all that just now I wonder if he got fired over that picture? That's a big career change/move in a few years timespan

I wonder if the teachers were military employees.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:47 PM »
A lot of them were locals but this guy and a few others may have been. It was on an air force base.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
They were DOD employees then. 

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »

True, but you still pretty much have to be a certified teacher, although there may be some exceptions/differences overseas.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »

True, but you still pretty much have to be a certified teacher, although there may be some exceptions/differences overseas.

They're regular ass civilian teachers their checks just say DOD on them.  It's not like they went from basic training to the classroom still in fatigues. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:16 AM »
 :sdeek:

Howard Epstein, a 45-year-old white man, was shot and killed Thursday, April 30, 1992, near Slauson and 7th avenues in Hyde Park.
Epstein, who had flown from his Northern California home to check on his South Los Angeles metal manufacturing business, was struck in the head by a bullet that apparently came from a pickup truck that had pulled alongside his car.
His car careened into a liquor store parking lot, where a crowd quickly gathered. Onlookers broke into applause when someone yelled that the dead driver was white, witnesses said, and Epstein's cellular telephone, camera, briefcase and pistol were stolen.
Hostility was so intense after the shooting of Epstein that detectives towed away the Epstein's Thunderbird while his body was still behind the wheel -- an unusual step.

Source: MIR's link to the L.A. Times archive.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
 :frown:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
Fascinating subject. What a complete failure by Gates and the LAPD. I watched the Smithsonian Channel one last night and will probably watch A&E's tonight and maybe more when they come out.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/04/25/492994148/five-films-look-at-the-l-a-riots-from-almost-every-angle

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
what failure by gates/lapd are you referring to?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »

All of them! But mostly large scale. Their significant contribution toward creating an environment that would cause people to want to riot.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »

All of them! But mostly large scale. Their significant contribution toward creating an environment that would cause people to want to riot.

that's a tough one.  i think you have to look a lot higher up the food chain than the LAPD.  they're an easy target, for sure.  but imo in my opinion, imo, they didn't create the environment at all.  they were players in the game but this crap goes well beyond daryl gates and i don't think he could have done a thing to prevent the riots. he got paid to protect the neighborhoods that he and his superiors lived in and frequented and that's what they did.  watts burned just fine in the 60's without any help from dg.

i'm not trying to say that i don't think that the lapd wasn't complicit but gates and the lapd didn't sit on that jury in simi valley and deliver the verdict

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
well the lapd beat the crap out of rodney king

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
well the lapd beat the crap out of rodney king

they beat the crap out of a lot of people of color

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »

that's a tough one.  i think you have to look a lot higher up the food chain than the LAPD.  they're an easy target, for sure.  but imo in my opinion, imo, they didn't create the environment at all.  they were players in the game but this crap goes well beyond daryl gates and i don't think he could have done a thing to prevent the riots. he got paid to protect the neighborhoods that he and his superiors lived in and frequented and that's what they did.  watts burned just fine in the 60's without any help from dg.

i'm not trying to say that i don't think that the lapd wasn't complicit but gates and the lapd didn't sit on that jury in simi valley and deliver the verdict

America being America led to the riots.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
that's pretty much it