Author Topic: Oscar and the new AD  (Read 14901 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar and the new AD
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
Maybe they know new logo will explode and we'll be a mid-major soon.

We could succeed with oscar as our coach in the Mountain West.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
oscar has improved two seasons in a row.

Folks here don't want improvement, they want Frank.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »

improvement because he lowered expectation first

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
i hate oscar but can we not call a team that won a play-in game a "nightmare program"? seems a bit dramatic.
It's the fact that we had to get in via a play-in game that's got me. I don't understand people who think this kind of low bar is acceptable.
I am old. I've been watching KSU basketball since Jack Hartman. I remember Lon as a player. I attended games in Ahearn. I saw Mitch Richmond and Charlie Bledsoe play. And most in between then and now, except for a stretch when I lived out of state and was busy climbing the professional ladder (Asbury years plus a few, so not entirely sorry I was gone from the arena at that time).
And it's been up and it's been down during that time, for sure. But my standards are higher than what we've got going on now. And to be honest, I just don't like BW. I don't like his style of play, I don't like how he "handles" the team, I don't like what comes out of his mouth in press conferences. So, I'm biased - I'll give you that.
But I know this University can do better. I remember the pre-Bill football. I was there in person. The university decided to do better, found a guy who could do it, and put some serious donations behind it and look at us now. There's no excuse for us to find our current .500 and below status, not making the tourney in a legit way (play-in is not legit in my book) as "good enough" to me.
That's it.

And with Underwood now moved again, not sure who I'd pick. But I agree with the general sentiment that him leaving the Big 12 is a more realistic way for us to get him headed back to MHK. At this point, I would consider about anyone with a decent pedigree for a year or two. Crean would have been worth a thought for short term at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
And - just for the record - I was never a Frank groupie. He was a little rough around the edges on the sidelines for my tastes. But I'm certainly glad for him for what he has accomplished at S Carolina, and hold no ill will towards him. And I'd certainly take him over what we have now.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
^^^ making it grain in here

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
Who you hiring right this second, grainer?

At this point, anyone would be better than Oscar Weber.

Anyone.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »

Not true. When Currie ran Frank off, I admitted the truth, that we were topped-out offensively under Frank. It was time for an upgrade.

But going with a just-fired-for-losing Big 10 coach was the wrong answer.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:37 AM »
Sounds like Ptolemy is a Coach K/Coach Cal or bust kinda guy.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »

Not true. When Currie ran Frank off, I admitted the truth, that we were topped-out offensively under Frank. It was time for an upgrade.

That Big 10 loser of a coach then proceeded to win a Big 12 title.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »

That Big 10 loser of a coach then proceeded to win a Big 12 title.

Where he then proceeded to lose as a 4 seed in a de facto home game to La Salle.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
*Sweet 16 team La Salle.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »

The thing about getting a little bit better every day is that it only really works when you don't have some days where you get a whole lot worse.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »

good grief

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
i hate oscar but can we not call a team that won a play-in game a "nightmare program"? seems a bit dramatic.
It's the fact that we had to get in via a play-in game that's got me. I don't understand people who think this kind of low bar is acceptable.
I am old. I've been watching KSU basketball since Jack Hartman. I remember Lon as a player. I attended games in Ahearn. I saw Mitch Richmond and Charlie Bledsoe play. And most in between then and now, except for a stretch when I lived out of state and was busy climbing the professional ladder (Asbury years plus a few, so not entirely sorry I was gone from the arena at that time).
And it's been up and it's been down during that time, for sure. But my standards are higher than what we've got going on now. And to be honest, I just don't like BW. I don't like his style of play, I don't like how he "handles" the team, I don't like what comes out of his mouth in press conferences. So, I'm biased - I'll give you that.
But I know this University can do better. I remember the pre-Bill football. I was there in person. The university decided to do better, found a guy who could do it, and put some serious donations behind it and look at us now. There's no excuse for us to find our current .500 and below status, not making the tourney in a legit way (play-in is not legit in my book) as "good enough" to me.
That's it.

And with Underwood now moved again, not sure who I'd pick. But I agree with the general sentiment that him leaving the Big 12 is a more realistic way for us to get him headed back to MHK. At this point, I would consider about anyone with a decent pedigree for a year or two. Crean would have been worth a thought for short term at the very least.

Grainer, it makes me sad that some KSU Purple Cat fans don't want the best. Some people are just infected with complacent mediocrity loser syndrome (CMLS).  I enjoyed this post, fwiw. Welcome to gE!
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
You know what helps recruiting?  Winning games.  Players don't care about coaches contract extensions, because they know at any moment, the coach could leave for a different job, get fired for whatever reason, and they can transfer if they don't like it.  So, extending him for the sake of recruiting is complete bs.  It should be the other way around, when he recruits better and wins games, then we will extend him.  Not extend his contract so he can recruit better and win games.  We gave him 5 years to do that already.  If he does so next year, then we can extend him.  If not, then contract is up, we go our separate ways.  We've given him everything he has needed to be successful, and then some.  It's time for him to produce.  And First Four is not producing.  That is getting by barely, and I do mean barely. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »

How hard is it to improve upon a losing record?   We didn't lose to N. Colorado this year, talk about improvement. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2017, 04:40:09 AM »
In the recruiting thread, someone I admire and respect is saying that the last scholarship is going to a glorified no name MeatGrunt.  So to the "Give Oscar an Extension so he can recruit" crowd, HOG SPIT!!!!  Diamonds in the rough, cast offs from other teams and jucojunk ain't deserving of an extension.  To hell with what is a standard practice in College basketball.  Kstate whizbanging sports executives laid a dog turd on that aurguement by not canning Weber.  I don't want the 5 star women and car beaters like KU, but sheesh a power five coach should be able to get a 4 star.  I need to rip off a big fart, and try to back to sleep .......