Author Topic: Selling strong beer in the grocery store and other easy to get to places.  (Read 8372 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
The economic/small business argument is so weird. Why should we assume anything Kansas does has been beneficial to its economy?

Decent point.  I think Kansas is good at having a lot of farmers whose crops often get piss pounded by hail/storm/drought and then the government bails them out.  We are pretty good at cashing government handouts and subsidies.

Exactly, and then they in turn bitch about everyone else getting handouts and not pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, lazy city people.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Grocery stores having better beer selection is ok, I guess. It's better than nothing. I'd rather they get wine, honestly.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
doesn't bother me either way.

"Strong Beer" is a myth when it comes to American lagers FYI

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
doesn't bother me either way.

"Strong Beer" is a myth when it comes to American lagers FYI

Yeah, but a lot of beers don't come in 3.2. Allowing stronger should improve selection.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Great news!  :Woot:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
went to costco on sunday. reminded me of this thread because I bought about a full cartload of wine, liquor, and beer. costco is BITB for buying good wine cheap which is awesome because mrs. dave just hammers red as fast as I can stock it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The KS legislature is so asinine. I can just see the conversations of the these mouth breathers in their offices - "Look, I know we're 'Republicans' are we're supposed to favor the free market, but I know so and so who owns a liquor store and they just can't compete! Ok, ok... how about we only let the grocery stores sell slightly stronger beer, but not wine or other spirits, and let's not phase this until 2019. Done! Now let's get back to considering these 20 pieces of gun legislation while we avoid making any budget cuts."

This is the problem with only paying state legislators something like 20k a year - you end up with a collection of no-talent asshats.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The KS legislature is so asinine. I can just see the conversations of the these mouth breathers in their offices - "Look, I know we're 'Republicans' are we're supposed to favor the free market, but I know so and so who owns a liquor store and they just can't compete! Ok, ok... how about we only let the grocery stores sell slightly stronger beer, but not wine or other spirits, and let's not phase this until 2019. Done! Now let's get back to considering these 20 pieces of gun legislation while we avoid making any budget cuts."

This is the problem with only paying state legislators something like 20k a year - you end up with a collection of no-talent asshats.

If we paid them more, we'd still have the same asshats.

I think a lot of it comes down to puritanical values, really. They believe extra burdensome regulation on alcohol is fine because alcohol consumption is a sin, anyway.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The way we sell cars in this country is due to the same Country Club/Chamber of Commerce politics.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Liquor stores do fine in kcmo

KCMO doesn't represent the typical Kansas town economy.

I think they can both survive if the small liquor store changes their approach and I'm for grocery stores selling booze but I can see the other side of the conversation and it's not only blue morality laws.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Aldi + Beer= WIN
Dillons + Beer= WIN.. honey guess what you're gonna have a crap ton of cents off at the pump because I loaded that rough ridin' fuel saver up with all the beer I bought

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Should sell weed at the grocery store
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Should sell weed at the grocery store

Such a win for the grocery store. Get baked, and then buy baked goods.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile

KCMO doesn't represent the typical Kansas town economy.

I think they can both survive if the small liquor store changes their approach and I'm for grocery stores selling booze but I can see the other side of the conversation and it's not only blue morality laws.

KCMO isn't but all if not most of MO has it where you can buy freaking anything at a gas station as well. Not sure if that decimated mom and pop stores but it's goddamn awesome, and MO seems to be handling that part at least fine.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

... but I can see the other side of the conversation and it's not only blue morality laws.

Please enlighten me, Phillip.

Kansas's draconian alcohol laws seem like a nightmare half-remembered to me now. I'm sorry that for many here, it's a daily reality.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
fun KS fact: airlines used to have to stop serving booze when flying in KS airspace because KS is so KS'y

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Probably, I guess. But the low pay certainly reduces the pool of people who would consider running. For any smart and talented full-time professional, it's simply too much of a pay cut. So we get this collection of clowns that are typically either retired or have some marginal business they can set aside for months at a time. Generally speaking, they're not terribly bright and don' have any meaningful skin the game.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
fun KS fact: airlines used to have to stop serving booze when flying in KS airspace because KS is so KS'y

But it was fine to smoke up the cabin with your cigarettes.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

But it was fine to smoke up the cabin with your cigarettes.

Cigarettes don't make you want to cheat on your wife, Mrs. Gooch.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Probably, I guess. But the low pay certainly reduces the pool of people who would consider running. For any smart and talented full-time professional, it's simply too much of a pay cut. So we get this collection of clowns that are typically either retired or have some marginal business they can set aside for months at a time. Generally speaking, they're not terribly bright and don' have any meaningful skin the game.

I just think that to get any other demographic interested in running for state legislature, you would have to pay them so much more that it would start to actually become a budget issue. It's impossible politically to make cuts to things like education while increasing legislative salaries by millions of dollars.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I'd rather attract better teachers with higher pay

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

... but I can see the other side of the conversation and it's not only blue morality laws.

Please enlighten me, Phillip.

Kansas's draconian alcohol laws seem like a nightmare half-remembered to me now. I'm sorry that for many here, it's a daily reality.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
You live in Texas, right?

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
But our Wholefoods has always had a bar and it's amazing. also they serve shopping beers so you walk in and buy some booze and there's a cup holder in your cart. it's like a bald eagle soaring in front of an american flag backdrop with van halen screaming in the background.

that's amazing. reminds me of louisiana where there are drive thru liquor stores/bar and they'll just hand you a margarita and pabst through yr car window and let you drive away

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Kansas has drive thru liquor stores

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

OT: One of the Hyvees near me now has a bar. I was very WTF when I saw it. https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/default.aspx
the mhk one has that too.. I don't understand it at all..