Author Topic: Selling strong beer in the grocery store and other easy to get to places.  (Read 8316 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Looks like KFD is going to get paased a law that allows strong beer to be sold at grocery stores, Quickgasses stores, and Big Wally box stores.  I am opposed.  I am against promoting alcoholism.  Drink milk not booze.  If someone wants to take a few snorts let them, but don't make it so easy to do so.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Bout time we got out of the late 1930s and the puritanical way we want to sell booze. Or I can just cross state line. Whichever works easier.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Hyvees in Nebraska have better liquor and craft beer selection than almost any liquor store I've ever been to in KS. It's amazing one stop shopping. But some are better than others and I choose which Hyvee I go to based on my need to get just food or food and booze. Also our gas stations have liquor. like you go to caseys and get your carton of winstons and your pizza for the kids and your handle of whatever liquor you choose to get blackout on. it's truly what america is all about you guys.

OT: One of the Hyvees near me now has a bar. I was very WTF when I saw it. https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/default.aspx

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
But our Wholefoods has always had a bar and it's amazing. also they serve shopping beers so you walk in and buy some booze and there's a cup holder in your cart. it's like a bald eagle soaring in front of an american flag backdrop with van halen screaming in the background.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've heard several people who are normally very conservative pro free market people argue until blue in the face about keeping liquor stores monopoly on booze selling.  They all say the selection will became narrower specifically in craft beer.  I think they all must have family or good friends who own liquor stores because I can't understand otherwise. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've heard several people who are normally very conservative pro free market people argue until blue in the face about keeping liquor stores monopoly on booze selling.  They all say the selection will became narrower specifically in craft beer.  I think they all must have family or good friends who own liquor stores because I can't understand otherwise.

that's what happens on opposite day. craft beer selection is amazing and it only makes the beer centric liquor stores go above and beyond to get inventory that doesn't distribute traditionally to the area. there aren't really liquor stores here at all unless they specialize in something (beer, wine, bourbon, etc.)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
It's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that you can't by liquor anywhere with a cash register, imho
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
SD do you like Nebraska Brewing beer? I do business with them, weird tops to the cans but love the beer.

Also yes, please sell real beer at grocery stores in KS. K, thanks!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Sd and I agreeing again

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
SD do you like Nebraska Brewing beer? I do business with them, weird tops to the cans but love the beer.

Also yes, please sell real beer at grocery stores in KS. K, thanks!

Yeah, they do a good job

The Big Train

Hyvees in Nebraska have better liquor and craft beer selection than almost any liquor store I've ever been to in KS. It's amazing one stop shopping. But some are better than others and I choose which Hyvee I go to based on my need to get just food or food and booze. Also our gas stations have liquor. like you go to caseys and get your carton of winstons and your pizza for the kids and your handle of whatever liquor you choose to get blackout on. it's truly what america is all about you guys.

OT: One of the Hyvees near me now has a bar. I was very WTF when I saw it. https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/default.aspx

The MHK Hy-Vee has had one of those since it was built like8 years ago. Welcome to 2017 SD

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
I kinda like the liquor store culture that our Kansas Sharia law has created. It would be a shame to give the power back to the mega corps and murder all these small businesses we forced into existence

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I kinda like the liquor store culture that our Kansas Sharia law has created. It would be a shame to give the power back to the mega corps and murder all these small businesses we forced into existence

Buddy owns a liquor store? Family?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
I believe the response to "Letting big mega corps sell booze at the grocery store would kill the mom and pop stores" is to put a cap in place for 5 years or so where no new booze selling permits are issued. This gives the mom and pops a chance to sell their permit to mega corp or get their act together and figure out how to compete.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Small stores can never compete with big box scale.... Having friends that run ks liquor stores they will probably be out their business when this happens.... But not like they haven't had time to prepare for it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, I feel bad for them but it's not a good reason not to do it

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
mom and pop gouged us for years.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, I feel bad for them but it's not a good reason not to do it

I'm not sure if benji's solution is viable but that sounds like a good compromise to make the big boys throw the liquor stores a one time pile of cash before they run them into the ground.   

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
eff mom and pop.  and also eff the three tier law(s).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Small stores can never compete with big box scale.... Having friends that run ks liquor stores they will probably be out their business when this happens.... But not like they haven't had time to prepare for it

Here in Ames there is a massive and elite liquor store literally next door to a Hyvee liquor store. I buy my beer from a neighborhood natural foods store that is 1/4 mile away from the both of them. All three of these places can coexist in a city of 40,000 people because of variety and creativity. The liquor store nearest my house in Wichita was a very big and nice liquor store but it's idea of variety was Sam Adams, that liquor store will need to evolve or it will die.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Liquor stores do fine in kcmo

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The economic/small business argument is so weird. Why should we assume anything Kansas does has been beneficial to its economy?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
The economic/small business argument is so weird. Why should we assume anything Kansas does has been beneficial to its economy?

Decent point.  I think Kansas is good at having a lot of farmers whose crops often get piss pounded by hail/storm/drought and then the government bails them out.  We are pretty good at cashing government handouts and subsidies.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Milk is federally subsidized like 25 cents a gallon so a true patriot would drink beer and pay the sin tax.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Also, my only concern is that in small towns the liquor store might run shittier hours.  No idea if that would really happen tho.