Author Topic: frank vs brad  (Read 10334 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: frank vs brad
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
What does close out defender mean?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
Ah

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
I think if it's a three you might still want to shoot. Or give the players freedom to decide. Like you'd probably rather have Phil Forte shooting a 23 foot three over a long closeout than driving and shooting a pull-up two.

Other than that I pretty much love everything he said.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
Do you think he intended for them to go all the way to the basket? I took it to be drive around them and go to the cup or pull up for a midrange.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
I think if it's a three you might still want to shoot. Or give the players freedom to decide.

that's good coaching right there.

"guys, here's what i want you to do:  you decide!"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
It's good theory but the other team might also know what your doing and develop a plan to deter you. Just sayin'.

Really nothing in there that all coaches haven't heard many times over at every coaching clinic they've ever been to. Now go behind the scenes and talk to Brads former players and assistants and see the crap that goes on and is encouraged at his practices. No way any one of us would want your own kid to play for him.

bradley has done well winning with the other guys' players. much the same observation that's used to demean coach weber. we'll see how underwood does with his own guys in a big boy league. presently, he's losing talent signed by john groce.

i happened to attend one of frank's practices. it was gut wrenching stuff.
reminded me of boot camp or worse. underwood was in full bloom wearing out wally judge in favor of jamsam.

Now. The poster who was adoring Underwood and blasting Weber, well, he had his mind made up before the talk. It still comes down to having the right mix of players.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
I think if it's a three you might still want to shoot. Or give the players freedom to decide.

yeah I guess in hindsight college basketball players shouldn't be trusted to decide when to drive, shoot, or pass.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
I think if it's a three you might still want to shoot. Or give the players freedom to decide. Like you'd probably rather have Phil Forte shooting a 23 foot three over a long closeout than driving and shooting a pull-up two.

He didn't say, or I didn't hear it, but nearly everything Brad does offensively is based on analytics. I'm sure he has numbers to back up why he does this.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
It's good theory but the other team might also know what your doing and develop a plan to deter you. Just sayin'.

Really nothing in there that all coaches haven't heard many times over at every coaching clinic they've ever been to. Now go behind the scenes and talk to Brads former players and assistants and see the crap that goes on and is encouraged at his practices. No way any one of us would want your own kid to play for him.

bradley has done well winning with the other guys' players. much the same observation that's used to demean coach weber. we'll see how underwood does with his own guys in a big boy league. presently, he's losing talent signed by john groce.

i happened to attend one of frank's practices. it was gut wrenching stuff.
reminded me of boot camp or worse. underwood was in full bloom wearing out wally judge in favor of jamsam.

Now. The poster who was adoring Underwood and blasting Weber, well, he had his mind made up before the talk. It still comes down to having the right mix of players.

All these people are dumb. All of them.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

Closer is better if you are going for weak side rebounds. It is something that oscar said he had trouble coaching out of the team his first year.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »

He didn't say, or I didn't hear it, but nearly everything Brad does offensively is based on analytics. I'm sure he has numbers to back up why he does this.

And I'm sure he recognizes not all closeout situations are created equal and doesn't make it a hard and fast rule.

Although like one of the gpc posters alluded to I would have my team do "fake" closeouts on Brad's teams.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »

oscar, is that you?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 12:14:59 AM »
It depends on what the definition of closeout is

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »
I wonder what these people would think if they could get inside one of Coach K's stand up/5 feet off the sideline timeout huddles.   

I have two close friends who had nephews who played Fball at Kstate.  The same dudes who "wouldn't want their kids" playing for Frank or Brad, wouldn't want their kid playing Fball at Kstate. 

All reports are Seff ain't no practice saint either. 

Welcome to big time D1 athletics kids. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
i wonder the same thing all of the time, dax

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »
One time my uncle said Joe Paterno was who he'd want coaching his son

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
One time my uncle said Joe Paterno was who he'd want coaching his son

I know, right.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
i wonder the same thing all of the time, dax

Duke radio has a sideline reporter.  He always gives a very detailed analysis of the sit on the bench timeouts, and what K is telling the team.

The stand up tight huddles, not so much.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2017, 06:39:27 AM »
Frank is a good man trying to do it right.  Brad is going greasy dog crap.  Recruiting KU garbage Bragg.  Hired two sleaze assistants in Antigua and Coleman.  Big turd in the Chicago sewer system.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thechampaignroom.com/platform/amp/2017/4/9/15237542/carlton-bragg-illinois-fighting-illini-basketball-recruiting-news-rumors-kansas-jayhawks

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
Frank is a good man trying to do it right.  Brad is going greasy dog crap.  Recruiting KU garbage Bragg.  Hired two sleaze assistants in Antigua and Coleman.  Big turd in the Chicago sewer system.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thechampaignroom.com/platform/amp/2017/4/9/15237542/carlton-bragg-illinois-fighting-illini-basketball-recruiting-news-rumors-kansas-jayhawks

Sounds like a winner.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
Sounds like Brad was p smart wearing out Wally in favor of Jamsam

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
Well, the thirty second shot clock makes it a lot easier to play very tough defense since you only have to lock down for 25 seconds. Still, if the game was called as it should be called, basketball would be much more "pretty", if you will. Of course, this would mean that many games would not go down to the wire as talent would deliver. Yet, there are ways to balance that out like doing away with the one and done; by limiting the number of stars on one particular team. Then, we would see great basketball and we would see real coaches rise to the top.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Well, the thirty second shot clock makes it a lot easier to play very tough defense since you only have to lock down for 25 seconds. Still, if the game was called as it should be called, basketball would be much more "pretty", if you will. Of course, this would mean that many games would not go down to the wire as talent would deliver. Yet, there are ways to balance that out like doing away with the one and done; by limiting the number of stars on one particular team. Then, we would see great basketball and we would see real coaches rise to the top.

define real coaches