Author Topic: Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp  (Read 8897 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »
You aren't supposed to take him literally kk
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
Medicare is struggling and doesn't provide complete medical coverage..  most elders have to buy supplemental coverage that is very expensive especially for folks living on Social security only.  Then there is prescriptions.  Both Medicare and Medicaid funds are near solvency.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
kk, I said homeless people, not poor people.  In one ER visit they will consume more resources than my entire family for an entire year.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
That kind of crap pisses Jesus the hell off

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »
kk, I said homeless people, not poor people.  In one ER visit they will consume more resources than my entire family for an entire year.

That is only if you don't have a family member that needs to visit the ER that year.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
The people without insurance that pop out babies are the biggest toll. Not the homeless.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »

That is only if you don't have a family member that needs to visit the ER that year.

In 11 years together and nearly 3 years with child, I can recall 2 ER visits, neither as serious as faking chest pains for some food and a bed.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
You've already exceeded my family.  I'm telling Jesus
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:59:37 PM by Dugout DickStone »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »
Even though I think you are over blowing the homeless as being a huge toll on the health care system, I have no problems with my taxes footing the bill for a homeless person to get out of the cold for a night or two. Maybe I'm a little biased as I slept in my car at a rest stop for 3 months in the winter. But for Christ's sake. Have a heart, man.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
Like I said, women not getting prenatal care and showing up without insurance and popping out a kid is a far greater toll on the health care system. It also puts doctors at risk for having to deliver a child with no clue as to the health of the mother and child. Puts them at serious risk of malpractice.

Fake chest pains and a night in a bed are a lot cheaper than a childbirth. Good grief.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 03:57:03 PM »
That doesn't even take into account a lot of doctors writing stuff off because they know they'll never see a dime

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/02/06/hawaii-homelessness-medical-condition

quick interview from NPR that shows how Hawaii is dealing with their homelessness issue.  Crazy to see how much it saves the state in close and far runs of state budgets.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »
I am focused on what he actually said in a quote. You and KSUW are very focused on inferring from what he said an implied argument about the best way to provide health care.

He actually said these people don't want the health care, not even because they are too stupid, but because they morally and spiritually don't want it. Those are the words he chose to use.

So exactly like I said. You are fixating on two words he said off the cuff that he knew weren't the right words the minute he said them, which is why he kept grasping for the right word until he found it. But you are choosing to ignore that because you'd rather be outraged than join in the serious discussion over the very valid point he was making. You're just demonstrating the liberal perpetual outrage machine in action.

Is their audio or video? I mean the context seems insane and not at all supportive of what you are claiming.  He starts with homeless and then goes on to disparage everyone with Medicaid.

But if Roger Marshall had as much grace and compassion as you are giving him, he wouldn't have said or believed this in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
Even though I think you are over blowing the homeless as being a huge toll on the health care system, I have no problems with my taxes footing the bill for a homeless person to get out of the cold for a night or two. Maybe I'm a little biased as I slept in my car at a rest stop for 3 months in the winter. But for Christ's sake. Have a heart, man.

There are much cheaper ways to get a homeless person a warm bed than to put them up in a hospital.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
I would prefer our skilled and strained health care professionals focus their attention on paying customers.  That doesn't mean homeless folks should go without.  It just doesn't make sense to run $50k in tests in on a person that isn't actually sick. 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
I know that. There are crisis centers. There are state run rehab clinics. There are shelters. Etc. Those get used quite a bit. I wish the crisis center was used more in Topeka. It saved my life once upon a time. There are plenty of options I agree. Many cheaper ones.

I stand by what I said. I'm willing for maybe a dime of my taxes to pay for a homeless person to get cared for for a couple days and warm bed and a meal.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
I would prefer our skilled and strained health care professionals focus their attention on paying customers.  That doesn't mean homeless folks should go without.  It just doesn't make sense to run $50k in tests in on a person that isn't actually sick.
Then work to get the er policies changed so that the homeless and uninsured can die as nature intended.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
Then scoop up their corpses to be used as cadavers. Further helping our strained health care system.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
Should OBs also focus on paying customers?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
I know that. There are crisis centers. There are state run rehab clinics. There are shelters. Etc. Those get used quite a bit. I wish the crisis center was used more in Topeka. It saved my life once upon a time. There are plenty of options I agree. Many cheaper ones.

I stand by what I said. I'm willing for maybe a dime of my taxes to pay for a homeless person to get cared for for a couple days and warm bed and a meal.
I should add that waiting on a bed at a state run rehab is what had me sleeping in my car to begin with. The crisis center is a lot easier to get into.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
Emo. I think we both agree that uninsured take a toll on our health care. I'm seeking to point out that the homeless are only a modicum of the problem.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »
I think if we took care of the homeless in some other ways they wouldn't be such a burden on our health care.  $50k is a lot of warm beds for a long time.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »
Well I'm not sure where you pulled that number from.

There are plenty of things we could do for the homeless but there is no money in it so we do nothing. They pay for their bad choices or their circumstances everyday of their lives. I think it's a cheap shot to single them out as a problem with our health care system.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
I got a dui and spent two weeks in jail. I lost my job because of it. And my home as well
 As soon as I got out I did all I could to get into rehab with no money. Because I was an alcoholic and not IV I was considered low risk so I had to wait three months. If it weren't for a friend that was willing to cover my car payment while I lived out of my car I wouldn't have even had that.

And I would have been on the street. Who knows where I would be now without having one friend that was willing to help me for a few months.

That's really all it takes to go from being a middle class guy to being destitute.

It's super easy to pick on the homeless but it's not that hard of a leap to go from middle class single white guy to homeless.

But instead I fought off frostbite for a few months. Got my nose broken by a stranger. Shivered and bathed in a sink til the day I was accepted into treatment. I sold off all that I had, not much, to put gas in my car. I got into treatment. I got into an Oxford house and got my life back on track. Granted it hasn't been smooth sailing since then. But it was one person, the only person I had that was willing, to make 3 car payments for me and I could have been one of the people you are disparaging.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
Its low hanging fruit and there are bigger issues at hand.