Author Topic: Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp  (Read 8903 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
What a ghoul.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/03/03/roger-marshall-kansas-obamacare/

“Just like Jesus said, ‘The poor will always be with us,’” he said. “There is a group of people that just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

Pressed on that point, Marshall shrugged.

“Just, like, homeless people. … I think just morally, spiritually, socially, [some people] just don’t want health care,” he said. “The Medicaid population, which is [on] a free credit card, as a group, do probably the least preventive medicine and taking care of themselves and eating healthy and exercising. And I’m not judging, I’m just saying socially that’s where they are. So there’s a group of people that even with unlimited access to health care are only going to use the emergency room when their arm is chopped off or when their pneumonia is so bad they get brought [into] the ER.”

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
He's not wrong. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
What's the point
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
I'm guessing that very few people living in Great Bend really have unlimited access to healthcare, regardless of insurance coverage.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
He's not wrong.

people "morally" and "spiritually" don't want health care? I mean he is basically dehumanizing poor people on a pretty fundamental level.

This is not even a typical "dignity of work" argument. It claims these people have fundamentally flawed souls.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
Good grief, kk.   :facepalm:

Only the WaPo and NYT are allowed to take any statement, make up their own definition of "what was really said" and then publish it as if that's what was actually said.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
He's not wrong.

Except that it is fraught with misdirection and bullshit to demonize the poor.

So yeah, it essentially is wrong.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
He's still an bad person.  He just happens to be correct.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »
Most homeless people have mental health issues. So that means sometimes their brain can't recognize that they want help. They don't even know how to ask for help.

I hope Jesus is real so that he can one day judge him

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
Do we force healthcare on homeless people with mental health issues?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
Need to reopen Menninger.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »
Lock those folks up.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »
I'm not one to tell people what they want or don't want.  Can't figure why he frames it as a "poor" issue.  Stupid.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »

What is he correct about?

you think that most homeless people "morally" and "spriritually" reject healthcare?

It is hard to make the case that any person "morally" and "spiritually" rejects healthcare and be a Christian.

The rest of his rhetoric is just as bad and makes it clear he does not view poor, sick patients, who have likely never had a primary care physician in their lives as unworthy of care and he, despite his protestation, is judging and condemning them in the most harsh terms imaginable.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:58:22 PM by Kat Kid »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »
The problem with speaking off the cuff is that sometimes you use the wrong word. In Dr. Marshall's case he used two wrong words until he finally got to the right one. Here's how this works: Morally (not the right word)... Spiritually (going in the wrong direction - that doesn't make any damned sense).... Socially (there's the word I was looking for!)

And then naturally, deranged whackos fixate on the first two words instead of accepting that he was grasping for the right word and got there on try number three.

And he's right. Obamacare was supposed to make people healthier and bring down costs be expanding "preventative care." Only poor people don't tend to utilize that preventative care even when it's "free." That's the point he was making and it is very valid. We need to have more serious policy discussions and it would help if liberals would stop being such assholes and trying to politicize every damn thing. Shut up and grow up. Please.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:41:29 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
Tap out noted KSU

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
Huelskamp wanted to take.away medical care altogether.  He was a rich spoiled kid that was handed everything.  Poor people don't like institutional settings.  The working poor one step up from medicaid are the people who are hurt by Orificecare.  Granted they get subsidized premiums, but high deductibles make current healthcare a nightmare for these folks.  A few years ago they paid hundreds out of pocket. Now its thousands, and to these families it not affordable to go get care.  So they go to the emergency care where they don't have to pay anything.  Clinics with sliding scales is.the.way to go.  Government owned clinics might work.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 05:43:48 AM »
The problem with speaking off the cuff is that sometimes you use the wrong word. In Dr. Marshall's case he used two wrong words until he finally got to the right one. Here's how this works: Morally (not the right word)... Spiritually (going in the wrong direction - that doesn't make any damned sense).... Socially (there's the word I was looking for!)

And then naturally, deranged whackos fixate on the first two words instead of accepting that he was grasping for the right word and got there on try number three.

And he's right. Obamacare was supposed to make people healthier and bring down costs be expanding "preventative care." Only poor people don't tend to utilize that preventative care even when it's "free." That's the point he was making and it is very valid. We need to have more serious policy discussions and it would help if liberals would stop being such assholes and trying to politicize every damn thing. Shut up and grow up. Please.

It is absolutely a problem that people that have never in their lives had access to health care are not very adept at navigating our country's very complicated health care system.

That fact has nothing to do with his quote.  The entire tone of the quote makes clear he holds little to no compassion for the human beings he is describing.

As far as not "politicizing" it? Well, he is a congressman that I voted for, so it is a little late for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 05:46:29 AM »
Huelskamp wanted to take.away medical care altogether.  He was a rich spoiled kid that was handed everything.  Poor people don't like institutional settings.  The working poor one step up from medicaid are the people who are hurt by Orificecare.  Granted they get subsidized premiums, but high deductibles make current healthcare a nightmare for these folks.  A few years ago they paid hundreds out of pocket. Now its thousands, and to these families it not affordable to go get care.  So they go to the emergency care where they don't have to pay anything.  Clinics with sliding scales is.the.way to go.  Government owned clinics might work.

When programs are universal and not means tested, for instance, It is pretty amazing how well Medicare and social security work. Medicare for all and be done with this nonsense.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:21 AM »

you think that most homeless people "morally" and "spriritually" reject healthcare?

It is hard to make the case that any person "morally" and "spiritually" rejects healthcare and be a Christian.

The rest of his rhetoric is just as bad and makes it clear he does not view poor, sick patients, who have likely never had a primary care physician in their lives as unworthy of care and he, despite his protestation, is judging and condemning them in the most harsh terms imaginable.

Why are you so focused on that one part? 

Homeless people in reality consume a ton of health care resources, relatively.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Roger Marshall: Maybe worse than Huelskamp
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »

I am focused on what he actually said in a quote. You and KSUW are very focused on inferring from what he said an implied argument about the best way to provide health care.

He actually said these people don't want the health care, not even because they are too stupid, but because they morally and spiritually don't want it. Those are the words he chose to use.

Your assertion that poor people "consume a ton of health services, relatively" doesn't seem correct to me at all. Of course hospital visits are more expensive than regular preventative care, but I don't think you have much basis to make the claim (maybe you have some sources?) when the topic of discussion is all about how poor people are currently NOT consuming the health services they are entitled to.

Now the reasons why very poor people don't seek out care are completely different.  I will add, he doesn't even seem to address that idea at all as he goes on to further say that even with the credit card" of "Medicaid" these people wait until they are very sick to seek out care. He, again, reflexively thinks this is an inherent flaw in these people unworthy of examination beyond blaming them for their circumstances and, again despite his own protestation, judging them in the harshest possible terms.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:33:56 AM by Kat Kid »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »

and if you understand our system and its faults instead of blindly following ideology, you'd know that providing homes for the homeless is so effective it is actually cheaper on the other side because of the dramatic savings directly from healthcare and social programs. 

But that would require republicans actually following the teachings of Christ, stopping stigmas of mental health, and maybe voting for a veterans care bill.

And as it is right now, there is no way you can say poor people use prevmed less then the average.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
Just like Jesus said

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
I am focused on what he actually said in a quote. You and KSUW are very focused on inferring from what he said an implied argument about the best way to provide health care.

He actually said these people don't want the health care, not even because they are too stupid, but because they morally and spiritually don't want it. Those are the words he chose to use.

So exactly like I said. You are fixating on two words he said off the cuff that he knew weren't the right words the minute he said them, which is why he kept grasping for the right word until he found it. But you are choosing to ignore that because you'd rather be outraged than join in the serious discussion over the very valid point he was making. You're just demonstrating the liberal perpetual outrage machine in action.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.