Author Topic: gorSuch a Great Choice  (Read 16017 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
gorSuch a Great Choice
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
Great choice. Truly fantastic. ITT we talk about all the reasons why. I'll start.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/213590/liberalsnlawsuits-joseph-6

Who do you think said this: “Reliance on constitutional lawsuits to achieve policy goals has become a wasting addiction among American progressives…. Whatever you feel about the rights that have been gained through the courts, it is easy to see that dependence on judges has damaged the progressive movement and its causes”? Rush Limbaugh? Laura Ingraham? George Bush? The author is David von Drehle, a Washington Post columnist. This admission, by a self-identified liberal, is refreshing stuff. It is a healthy sign for the country and those rethinking the direction of the Democratic party in the wake of November’s election results. Let’s hope this sort of thinking spreads.

There’s no doubt that constitutional lawsuits have secured critical civil-right victories, with the desegregation cases culminating in Brown v. Board of Education topping the list. But rather than use the judiciary for extraordinary cases, von Drehle recognizes that American liberals have become addicted to the courtroom, relying on judges and lawyers rather than elected leaders and the ballot box, as the primary means of effecting their social agenda on everything from gay marriage to assisted suicide to the use of vouchers for private-school education.

This overweening addiction to the courtroom as the place to debate social policy is bad for the country and bad for the judiciary. In the legislative arena, especially when the country is closely divided, compromises tend to be the rule the day. But when judges rule this or that policy unconstitutional, there’s little room for compromise: One side must win, the other must lose. In constitutional litigation, too, experiments and pilot programs–real-world laboratories in which ideas can be assessed on the results they produce–are not possible. Ideas are tested only in the abstract world of legal briefs and lawyers arguments. As a society, we lose the benefit of the give-and-take of the political process and the flexibility of social experimentation that only the elected branches can provide

At the same time, the politicization of the judiciary undermines the only real asset it has–its independence. Judges come to be seen as politicians and their confirmations become just another avenue of political warfare. Respect for the role of judges and the legitimacy of the judiciary branch as a whole diminishes. The judiciary’s diminishing claim to neutrality and independence is exemplified by a recent, historic shift in the Senate’s confirmation process. Where trial-court and appeals-court nominees were once routinely confirmed on voice vote, they are now routinely subjected to ideological litmus tests, filibusters, and vicious interest-group attacks. It is a warning sign that our judiciary is losing its legitimacy when trial and circuit-court judges are viewed and treated as little more than politicians with robes.

Amen. These picks wouldn't be so political if justices would simply interpret the law as written without regard to achieving a particular result.

Or, as he said tonight, "A judge who likes every outcome he reaches is very likely a bad judge, stretching for results he prefers rather than those the law demands."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:05:33 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: gorSuch a Great Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:44 PM »
i wish he wasn't a columbia and harvard guy.  idk anything else about him yet.  i didn't read that nationalreview article.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »
it's nothing personal.  but blood demands blood.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »
it's nothing personal.  but blood demands blood.

They should confirm immediately and save being clownsuited by Donald.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
I'm a Big Trump Hater but I read half a slate profile on this guy and I think he's pretty good.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
agreed

seems like a measured sensible pick.

(so was Garland btw)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
Peter Thiel must have told Trump no.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
All the democrats who are saying that they will only confirm Garland are really  :facepalm:.

It is commonly accepted that had Hillary won the election she would have nominated someone other than Garland herself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
i wish he wasn't a columbia and harvard guy.  idk anything else about him yet.  i didn't read that nationalreview article.
Our estate planner from U of Idaho didn't make the cut. :-(

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
I'm a Big Drumpf Hater but I read half a slate profile on this guy and I think he's pretty good.

agreed

seems like a measured sensible pick.

(so was Garland btw)

Agree with both of these. Garland was a fine pick, Gorsuch is a fine pick ,if you pretty much choose a guy/gal with a good record of being a judge, hard to eff up a SCOTUS pick. It's unfortunate repubs made it so political the last round, and forcing the dems to do the same here. But overall don't really see that much of an issue. It didn't kill the repubs, it won't kill the dems.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
do @TheDemocrats have a weekend at bernie's contingency plan in place?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
I don't like blocking sc picks unless it's something extreme. I don't know anything about this bro but I'm sure he's fine given there has been no meltdown.

I wish I could be as vindictive as sys because what the Republicans did to garland was despicable.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »

Agree with both of these. Garland was a fine pick, Gorsuch is a fine pick ,if you pretty much choose a guy/gal with a good record of being a judge, hard to eff up a SCOTUS pick. It's unfortunate repubs made it so political the last round, and forcing the dems to do the same here. But overall don't really see that much of an issue. It didn't kill the repubs, it won't kill the dems.

Here is why it could kill the dems.

First, there are way more single-issue Republican voters when it comes to Supreme Court nominees.  Roe v. Wade is a huuuuge deal to conservatives.  They could come out in droves during mid terms if Democrats stonewall a solid candidate for two years.

Second, there was a clear end in sight for Republicans.  A year is a pretty long time, but Democrats would be looking at two years minimum of keeping the court at 8, which is probably unheard of (have not fact checked this).

Third, it's distracting.  Republicans and Trump WANT this fight.  Stonewalling a good Supreme Court nominee to fill a super conservative justice's seat is about the only way Democrats can look bad during a Trump presidency.  It makes Democrats easy to paint as petty, vindictive, and spiteful, which is pretty much the platform Trump used to get elected in the first place.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
Meh.  In the pantheon of guys they could have picked, he's not bad.

Too into Jesus and corporate welfare, but whatever.  It's not like I haven't had to live with too much Jesus in my life already.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
I hope Demohates do put up a stupid fight, and lose any remaining credibility they have.  Isn't refreshing to have a President do what he/she said they would do.  Voters voted for Trump because this issue.  Senators Pissloosely and Scummer are giving the bird to America.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
I hope Demohates do put up a stupid fight, and lose any remaining credibility they have.  Isn't refreshing to have a President do what he/she said they would do.  Voters voted for Trump because this issue.  Senators Pissloosely and Scummer are giving the bird to America.

I'm fine with them stomping around and making a scene. Showing a little backbone is refreshing.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
I don't think dems will fight the scotus guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
They are going to make noise to appease their base, but he'll be on the bench by year end I think.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
Rose ceremony when confirmed

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »

Here is why it could kill the dems.

First, there are way more single-issue Republican voters when it comes to Supreme Court nominees.  Roe v. Wade is a huuuuge deal to conservatives.  They could come out in droves during mid terms if Democrats stonewall a solid candidate for two years.

Second, there was a clear end in sight for Republicans.  A year is a pretty long time, but Democrats would be looking at two years minimum of keeping the court at 8, which is probably unheard of (have not fact checked this).

Third, it's distracting.  Republicans and Drumpf WANT this fight.  Stonewalling a good Supreme Court nominee to fill a super conservative justice's seat is about the only way Democrats can look bad during a Drumpf presidency.  It makes Democrats easy to paint as petty, vindictive, and spiteful, which is pretty much the platform Drumpf used to get elected in the first place.

Meh, I'm absolutely fine with them fighting tooth and nail to show backbone, like I said, it clearly didn't kill the repubs to cause a ruckus, it wont kill the dems to do the same.

Additionally, even if he's pretty right, he's replacing a pretty right person, so (this one) isn't going to drastically change decisions in SCOTUS. Merrick would potentially have, cause it would be trading a righty for a middle guy.

Finally, there are plenty of distractions, this one at least matters more than other things, it affects the government more long term than any other decision. Especially given how young he is.

Overall, let them throw a giant tantrum, it's not going to debase them that much, if it does, it is to people who already think they dems are.

If the cheetoh chose some crazy dude that plenty of people were pre freaking out about, like a Bannon or some crap, then you throw a giant ass fight. Trying to block a mostly qualified guy, no matter their leaning, is ultimately theatre, and the repubs just happened to win that last session cause they thought they had the next prez, which turned out true. Even if what they did was a giant ass hissy fit then, it ultimately worked. If trump had lost, it would be them who would have lost a giant amount of credibility. So w/e

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
I don't know if he is measured or sensible or anything about his views or beliefs, but I do know that he is a deep 'n critical thinker which is really all I care about.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:04:38 PM by puniraptor »

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
I don't like blocking sc picks unless it's something extreme. I don't know anything about this bro but I'm sure he's fine given there has been no meltdown.

I wish I could be as vindictive as sys because what the Republicans did to garland was despicable.

This is how you do it Lib, not like dumbass meltylibbers.  :cheers:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »
Stick a bork in him. He's done. :Keke:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: Trump's Supreme Court pick founded and led club called 'Fascism Forever' at his elite all-boys Washington prep school

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
Jesus Christ. You can't make up this stuff.