Author Topic: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan  (Read 10573 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
I will say I think the rule is dumb in this instance. I think an offensive penalty that results in a change of possession should be treated like a defensive penalty in this situation with an untimed down. But that is another discussion.

Absolutely.  Common sense would dictate that there should be an untimed down.  Maybe common sense is what Gundy limited his decision-making factors to, as opposed to considering what the rule actually is.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State - Central Michigan
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
This is actually what I believe. Gundy and co. probably didn't think to complain because (1) it seemed fair at the time, and (2) they didn't think CMU had a serious chance of scoring.

I don't think it necessarily precludes Gundy from complaining about it now, but he shares a substantial part of the blame just like the KSU coaches when the refs messed up on the first down markers last year (against OSU, IIRC).

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
Pretty badass response.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Along those lines, Gundy should be 100% focused on preparing his team for the next game. This should be handled at the AD level.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
why on earth does it preclude him from crying about it now? 

Because he'd have played, and lost, under the rules as he knew them and/or he didn't preserve his (or even make an) objection for appeal.  There's consequences for poor performance.
I fundamentally disagree with this proposition.

You keep hitting on this "preserving your appeal" crap, but referees aren't trial judges.  As if I need an example to show this -- referees don't wait until a coach objects to a hold before deciding to throw a flag.  Further, there's apparently no appeal process anyway, so what exactly would he be preserving his objection for? 

Gundy's understanding of the rule means zilch when it comes to whether the officials properly determining whether or not the game was over.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
I remember Nubb boards being completely convinced they could overturn the Big XII 'ship outcome in 2009 because there was that incomplete pass before the game winning FG. They were saying "Lawyers are working on fixing it tonight". I have empathy that OSU got hosed, but I don't like the precident of changing a W to a L

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
I don't see much danger unless there is a chance of the process suddenly becoming political (like, "oh, look at that, the AD who is good buddies with the head of officiating just convinced them to overturn this game on a close call").

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
would you guys have wanted the 5th down game outcome overturned? (like 25ish years ago I know)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
I remember Nubb boards being completely convinced they could overturn the Big XII 'ship outcome in 2009 because there was that incomplete pass before the game winning FG. They were saying "Lawyers are working on fixing it tonight". I have empathy that OSU got hosed, but I don't like the precident of changing a W to a L
I think this situation is different from that one.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »
why on earth does it preclude him from crying about it now? 

Because he'd have played, and lost, under the rules as he knew them and/or he didn't preserve his (or even make an) objection for appeal.  There's consequences for poor performance.
I fundamentally disagree with this proposition.

You keep hitting on this "preserving your appeal" crap, but referees aren't trial judges.  As if I need an example to show this -- referees don't wait until a coach objects to a hold before deciding to throw a flag.  Further, there's apparently no appeal process anyway, so what exactly would he be preserving his objection for? 

Gundy's understanding of the rule means zilch when it comes to whether the officials properly determining whether or not the game was over.

You want to take the game out of the refs' hands.  Gundy could've done that and won, by either knowing the rules or doing almost anything other than what he did.  The refs should've known and applied the rule.  Gundy shouldn't have given them a chance to eff it up.  He blew it, so now this has happened.  He gets no sympathy or recourse. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »

Those two instances are in no way shape or form comparable. One was a lunatic fan base wrong about a clock ruling, the other is the official crew just deciding to go outside of what was permitted to add a play to the game.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »
That's true MIR. It was so funny tho with all the "Lawyers are working on this" talk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »
would you guys have wanted the 5th down game outcome overturned? (like 25ish years ago I know)

Yes, but even that game has more gray than this ending did. If they gave Missouri the ball after 4th down the game isn't over, this game was O-V-E-R and it was extended by another play.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »
anyone have any coal? I'm gonna get rich by putting it up MIR and Dlews butts

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
you better not. 

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »

what injustice occurs if OSU is given the win?  what argument could CMU possibly make if they were determined the losers?

At this point, I think Vegas would have a pretty big problem with it.

Nope, CMU still covers

Is that the only bet available?

Well I don't know what the o/u was but I'm guessing that the 57 they ended up with is still under. I doubt they were taking props and second half bets for CMU OSU.

O/U was above that, but I'm sure they took 2nd half bets for the game, especially given the close halftime score. Also, moneyline betting was affected. I think Jake Trotter tweeted about a fan who had $6k on the moneyline for OSU.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
I think in this case the outcome should be reversed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
Wait a minute, knowing the rule or not shouldn't have dictated whether or not he asked Rudolph to throw the ball away, Rudolph didn't properly execute the play, he needed to take two more steps.

I mean, this is true, but why didn't they have a receiver just jog down the field? If you're not sure what happens on a grounding penalty, just put a receiver on a go route and throw over his head. That part baffles me

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/775357237808148482

What a ridiculous response, Saban or Meyer wouldn't say that.

I'm so surprised that MIR doesn't see the value in admitting a mistake.  (Remember saying Briles was "adorable"?)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/775357237808148482

What a ridiculous response, Saban or Meyer wouldn't say that.

I'm so surprised that MIR doesn't see the value in admitting a mistake.  (Remember saying Briles was "adorable"?)

Wait, what?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
CMU sucks ass and apparently osu sucks harder ass. That was the dumbest rough ridin' play call (reminded me of prince) imaginable, compounded by the most pathetic hail mary prevent defense imaginable. Mike Gundy is a moron, and his team is vastly overrated year in and year out. If he had an ounce of respect he would have agreed to give us our win down there last year when the refs egregiously blew the down and distance. What goes around comes around mullettard.

BTW, it would be unconscionable to allow a game to end on a 4th down intentional grounding penalty. Notwithstanding the mumped up rule, the refs got it right.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »
1. The rule is dumb. If you throw it with time on the clock on 4th down, the other team should get the ball back for 1 untimed down.
2. They got the call wrong, and the NCAA should overturn it and give OSU the W. This is the only game I would advocate changing the L to a W.
3. We shouldn't even be talking about this because it was a 51 yard hail mary. If you can't defend it, you don't deserve to win.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.