Author Topic: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.  (Read 25644 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
I would've taken Doug but I wanted his candidacy to get Currie/admin folks to think a little further outside the box.  I would think OSU has the resources to do better.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
I can't blame OSU after what happened with Brad.

I still like Doug, but I'm way over my Doug as coach phase.

That's because we initially wanted Doug in part to continue the excitement/anger/Doominess of our basketball culture. That's completely gone now. Fun basketball was sooooo five years ago. Doug probably would've been good at continuing that momentum, don't know about him completely regenerating it, though.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
“What I've always said to people about Oklahoma State is I'm in it for the right reasons,” Gottlieb said. “It's like the Bachelorette; at the beginning of the Bachelorette, they're trying to figure out who wants the reality show and who really wants to marry the girl."

his ability to drop a bachelorette reference while trying to qualify himself as a legitimate candidate for the HC job at his alma mater is incredible

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »

That's because we initially wanted Doug in part to continue the excitement/anger/Doominess of our basketball culture. That's completely gone now. Fun basketball was sooooo five years ago. Doug probably would've been good at continuing that momentum, don't know about him completely regenerating it, though.

there is absolutely no doubt that he would completely regenerate fun basketball.  everything about him representing our school would be great.  don't be mistaken, the buzz around hiring him would be huge and he's so well connected to the media market that our school's name would be everywhere which would instantly boost his recruiting.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
I would've taken Doug but I wanted his candidacy to get Currie/admin folks to think a little further outside the box.  I would think OSU has the resources to do better.

What resources do they have that we don't? Excess of empty orange chairs?

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
So this is clearly a move by OSU to try to energize/grow their languid fan base. What's interesting is that he  is polarizing down there, there are a lot of older fans who are pissed at him when he had a falling out with Eddie Sutton.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

T Boone's fortune.  I thought they built a pretty bad ass athletics park there too although maybe we've caught up some.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »
It's not quite to the same level, but it's their version of when Huggins left us. We took a risk and it worked out.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
I would've taken Doug but I wanted his candidacy to get Currie/admin folks to think a little further outside the box. I would think OSU has the resources to do better.

are we sure they do, or maybe Holder doesn't care enough about basketball. Holder says he didn't see better offers coming for Brad, that's bs. So, yeah they don't care enough to come up with a salary increase structure and incentives that would give Brad an average of $3 mil the next couple of seasons. I think holder will make an oscar type hire. I think Doug actually cares, loves OSU and want's to coach for sentimental reasons (alma mater, his dad was a coach, his brothers coach, sutton legacy). I would still take Doug at EMAW.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »

T Boone's fortune.  I thought they built a pretty bad ass athletics park there too although maybe we've caught up some.

It's very weird how their administration views basketball.  They haven't put much money into it.  They took me to their basketball practice facility.  You can walk to it from inside GIA through hallways.  However, if I filmed the walk starting from the moment I walked off the court in GIA, without the logos you would think I was in a high school walking to their auxiliary gym.  The actual room with the practice court feels just like my high school's second gym with the walls right up on the baseline.  The acoustics are also terrible in it.  It has that horrible concrete wall echo.  I know it's just a practice facility, but I didn't expect it to feel like the extra court in the local YMCA expansion.

It's like their AD has just completely given into the "the Thunder took half our fan base" mentality. When they started winning in February, the fan base started coming back very quickly and there started to be a palpable excitement again. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:24:29 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
I think it would be crazy to hire a guy with no coaching experience, but will definitely be paying attention to OSU if it happens so I guess that's kind of a win for them.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I think holder will make an oscar type hire.

Why settle for an oscar type when oscar's available?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Doug would be viewed by many as a risky dumb hire, and maybe it is, but I actually think he'd be a good coach. Particularly w/ college bball. So much of it is recruiting, even moreso than football. And I think he'd be a fantastic recruiter and at least solid in teh x and os part.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
I think it would be crazy to hire a guy with no coaching experience, but will definitely be paying attention to OSU if it happens so I guess that's kind of a win for them.

Hoiboi
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
OU practice facility also sucks. I've spent a good amount of time there hooping and I really prefer to hoop at the facility where my kid's team practices. Oklahoma is a weird state when it comes to bball, especially bball facilities.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »

It's very weird how their administration views basketball.  They haven't put much money into it.  They took me to their basketball practice facility.  You can walk to it from inside GIA through hallways.  However, if I filmed the walk starting from the moment I walked off the court in GIA, without the logos you would think I was in a high school walking to their auxiliary gym.  The actual room with the practice court feels just like my high school's second gym with the walls right up on the baseline.  The acoustics are also terrible in it.  It has that horrible concrete wall echo.  I know it's just a practice facility, but I didn't expect it to feel like the extra court in the local YMCA expansion.

It's like their AD has just completely given into the "the Thunder took half our fan base" mentality. When they started winning in February, the fan base started coming back very quickly and there started to be a palpable excitement again.

They expended A LOT of resources buying out Travis Ford's ridiculous 10 year contract in order to hire Brad.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:12:11 PM by deputy dawg »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »

He would have been set up for success after Frank left. Frank left a great situation and Gottlieb would have been a good shot at taking advantage of it. I wouldn't want him after oscar leaves. (But would still be OK w/ thinking outside the box).

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
last chance at a actual hc job without going through the ranks first
very awkward interview

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Yeah, if he gets OSU job, it's now.  Otherwise if he wants to coach, he will have to take HC at smaller school and work up from there. I don't get any indication that he wants to be an asst at a P5 school. He wants to be a HC or he's sticking with his job he has now (or the one he will Start at Fox soon)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Yeah, if he gets OSU job, it's now.  Otherwise if he wants to coach, he will have to take HC at smaller school and work up from there. I don't get any indication that he wants to be an asst at a P5 school. He wants to be a HC or he's sticking with his job he has now (or the one he will Start at Fox soon)
If he knows the right people he could be a recruiter tomorrow.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
Gotleib would energize the fanbase until they started getting shelled next year.  Would be a horrible hire.....OSU is in no position to hire coaching rookies.  Too much of a risk.  Talking basketball and coaching basketball are two different skills.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

In terms of basketball facilities, besides the fact that GIA may have a better look with the brick and all orange predominately empty chair back seats.   They don't have anything on us from a basketball facilities perspective.   That's the only thing a b-ball coach is going to care about.   

Our practice/admin facility is one of the nicest ones in the country and our game day dressing rooms and game day sports medicine facilities as well as the post game press room just got a million dollar make-over, and of course we just put in a $5 million-plus dollar AV/Scoring/Lighting system.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
The biggest key to Gottlieb being successful there would be Evans returning.  It would be tough to get/keep momentum going if the team has a down year.

Is there a chance that OSU makes another run at Self or has that ship sailed?  I don't think they could get him but they should definitely call T Boone for a number and then call Self's agent.  I would test those waters every time the position opened.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.
yeah i guess they have been doing this together for awhile now, just seemed awkward when doug didnt hear what he wanted to hear