Author Topic: Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (assuming no predecessor to it)  (Read 15812 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (assuming no predecessor to it)
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »
I haven't mentioned my extreme butthurt on the percentage disparity between Randy and Pedro but WHAT THE eff IS THAT ABOUT??? 9% of voters didn't vote for pedro, I simply don't understand. Tom Glavine got a higher percentage of votes.

Longevity. Pedro's prime was the penultimate among modern pitchers imo. Yes, better than Maddux, because of the DH.

I don't understand what you're saying here, I think you're confused with what my beef is.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
I haven't mentioned my extreme butthurt on the percentage disparity between Randy and Pedro but WHAT THE eff IS THAT ABOUT??? 9% of voters didn't vote for pedro, I simply don't understand. Tom Glavine got a higher percentage of votes.

Longevity. Pedro's prime was the best among modern pitchers imo. Yes, better than Maddux, because of the DH.

You're extremely butthurt at the percentage disparity between Johnson and Martinez. I think it's about longevity and the things that come with that, like 300 wins and more exciting totals in things like strikeouts.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
lol@hof voting
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »

Longevity. Pedro's prime was the best among modern pitchers imo. Yes, better than Maddux, because of the DH.

You're extremely butthurt at the percentage disparity between Johnson and Martinez. I think it's about longevity and the things that come with that, like 300 wins and more exciting totals in things like strikeouts.

It's not a choice between Johnson and Martinez, you can vote for both. Johnson's longevity has nothing to do with 10% of the voters not voting for one of the greatest ever.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »

It's not a choice between Johnson and Martinez, you can vote for both. Johnson's longevity has nothing to do with 10% of the voters not voting for one of the greatest ever.

I never said it was a choice. I don't think I'm confused at your beef. But for simplicity's sake, please plainly state said beef be so I can hypothetically better understand it. Also, thank you for not calling out my misuse of penultimate. What a goof that was.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
Biggio over piazza is a joke.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »
You guys know you can only vote for 10 per year right? That's why first ballot matters
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
You guys know you can only vote for 10 per year right? That's why first ballot matters

A huge and hearty LOL at you if you think the first ballot people actually complete a full ballot. The people that full out a full ballot without Pedro and Randy aren't doing it because of the first ballot thing they are doing it because they know they will get in but they have to use their other votes to make up for baseball writers doing dumb crap like not voting for Edgar Martinez, and the "steroid guys." I don't vote players on my first ballot guy has no more than 3 people on it, probably Craig Biggio, Larry Walker, and Mike Mussina.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
Not voting Pedro or Randy is asinine, but people absolutely do pick a marginally deserving player, with only a year or two left on the ballot, over a slightly more qualified player in his first year. In that sense, being a first ballot hall of famer is a pretty big deal.
:adios:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
Not voting Pedro or Randy is asinine, but people absolutely do pick a marginally deserving player, with only a year or two left on the ballot, over a slightly more qualified player in his first year. In that sense, being a first ballot hall of famer is a pretty big deal.

Great point. This is something that I was going to bring up, but wasn't sure on the specifics. It's like "Well, duh Pedro is a Hall-of-Famer, but I really like Lee Smith and I don't know if he's going to make it. I think I'll go ahead an leave Pedro off this time around so I can help Lee get in."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »

Great point. This is something that I was going to bring up, but wasn't sure on the specifics. It's like "Well, duh Pedro is a Hall-of-Famer, but I really like Lee Smith and I don't know if he's going to make it. I think I'll go ahead an leave Pedro off this time around so I can help Lee get in."

There's been only voter that has said he did this; Mike Berardino, St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa are the faces of the steroid era. Hitting home runs is considered more of a steroid thing than pitching. It's not accurate, but it's the belief. I would vote all 4 in and I'm very anti-PEDs.

My idea is that Bonds and Clemons both had a HOF resume' before they started steroids so should be judged accordingly  :dunno:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »
Rose was a no brainer for the HoF as a player but is being banned for what he did as a manager. His omission from Cooperstown is much more of a crime than Bonds and Clemens being left out.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
Rose was a no brainer for the HoF as a player but is being banned for what he did as a manager. His omission from Cooperstown is much more of a crime than Bonds and Clemens being left out.

Rose absolutely belongs in the Hall especially since he was able to rack up thousands of hits using crooked, floppy bats like the one below.  There was never any evidence found that he gambled as a player, only as a manager.  Put him in there and if it helps to ease anyone's butthurt just put a sentence or two about the gambling stuff on his plaque.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
time to compromise. put rose in, but don't let him have a hat on on his plaque. use this shot with his 3 stooges hair cut and say, "Pete Rose, can you believe he has the most hits ever? Neither can we."

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:50:11 PM by Shooter Jones »

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Was there ever a picture taken of Pete Rose where he looked good? It's crazy. He would have really benefited from living in the pre-camera era of baseball.

"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »

He belongs in but I don't know how you can determine that gambling as a manager isn't as bad as allegedly juicing as a player.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Was there ever a picture taken of Pete Rose where he looked good? It's crazy. He would have really benefited from living in the pre-camera era of baseball.

Austin Powers with baseball bats.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
baseball writers are very weird. especially old ones.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »

time to compromise. put rose in, but don't let him have a hat on on his plaque. use this shot with his 3 stooges hair cut and say, "Pete Rose, can you believe he has the most hits ever? Neither can we."

It's the Mr. Kim Tennal look. (If anybody knows him, they'll agree and laugh.)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!
(Mrs. Kim Tennal looks much better.)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Just saw this and  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 11:39:14 AM »
Clemens, Bonds, McGwire should all be in. Rose, never. Over my dead body.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
Pretty happy for Griffey and Piazza. Would've liked to see Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Raines, Bagwell, and Edgar Martinez in there too.

Griffey was really the last true baseball cultural icon.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:10 AM »
I'm very happy for my guy, Mike.