Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 331641 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1625 on: June 22, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
I can't invest my HSA ...only get boring 1% interest

Are you sure it's not an option? I don't think I could invest with mine until I hit some minimum threshold like $4-5k.
Yeah I thought that maybe it...but not the case.

The Big Train

« Reply #1626 on: June 22, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
I can't invest my HSA ...only get boring 1% interest

Are you sure it's not an option? I don't think I could invest with mine until I hit some minimum threshold like $4-5k.

That seems really high, ours only has a threshold of $1000 before we can start investing it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
That could be right.  It may have just been a personal goal of mine to have my full deductible in cash before I invested any of it.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 22, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
So like with HSA you pick funds and stuff like 401k?  Do any allow stocks or ETF's?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: June 22, 2017, 10:50:18 PM »
So like with HSA you pick funds and stuff like 401k?  Do any allow stocks or ETF's?

Each plan is different but most just allow Mutual Fund or ETF purchases, not individual stock. HSA's are relatively new (2003) and not very widespread at this time so there is not a ton of competition between HSA administers. I would imagine that as HSA's become more popular and as common as IRA's the fund selection and user interfaces will look more like your 401k/IRA.

The Big Train

« Reply #1630 on: June 22, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »

Each plan is different but most just allow Mutual Fund or ETF purchases, not individual stock. HSA's are relatively new (2003) and not very widespread at this time so there is not a ton of competition between HSA administers. I would imagine that as HSA's become more popular and as common as IRA's the fund selection and user interfaces will look more like your 401k/IRA.

Cryptocurrencies have only even been hypothesized since 2009, and only been a real thing since 2011.  I arrive at the conclusion that they have also been not very widespread.  Just a little side jab at ben ji for poking fun at a new investing opportunity, while continuing to offer advice for older ways of investing. 

The Big Train

« Reply #1631 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »

The Big Train

« Reply #1632 on: June 24, 2017, 11:47:35 PM »
All of the major currencies had a downward trend today.  From the looks of it everyone should be back on the up, hopefully.  These kinds of global dips are kind of strange because the currencies are all separate from each other, I'm still trying to figure out why they are all so closely tied together.

I posted that instabuy gif this morning, and I bought a crap ton more LiteCoin today.  I'm not advocating or endorsing any kind of movement but I've been through this before and don't want just WW to benefit if I only sent a DM to him.  Like I said a week ago to PT, I don't think we are going to hit $40, and if we do I'll be buying it up like I did today.  My projections stay the same, I'm just posting more about my movements than I have in the past.  If I wouldn't have hit so big on the last round on ETH I probably wouldn't be in on LiteCoin as hard as I am.  When you are playing with house money tho....all cards are on the table, per se.

:kstategrad: :kstategrad: :kstategrad:

The Big Train

« Reply #1633 on: June 25, 2017, 12:14:15 AM »
I know someone who was affected by this. This is a risky market for sure

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/24/coinbase-is-reimbursing-losses-caused-by-the-ethereum-flash-crash/

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: June 25, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
TBT did you even dig into the NVDA thing I posted?  That might help you with finding correlation.

The Big Train

« Reply #1635 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
TBT did you even dig into the NVDA thing I posted?  That might help you with finding correlation.

Are you trying to get at that NVDA is growing because of miners buying their GPU's?  AMD is also growing because their chips are best for mining ETH.  I haven't heard anything from those companies pulling back or anything.

The Big Train

« Reply #1636 on: June 25, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
Holy crap :surprised:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: June 25, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »
This thread desperately needs modding

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: June 25, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »

Are you trying to get at that NVDA is growing because of miners buying their GPU's?  AMD is also growing because their chips are best for mining ETH.  I haven't heard anything from those companies pulling back or anything.

I don't know, just saw some analyst types talking about it.  It doesn't interest me so I didn't dig any deeper.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: June 25, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »

Like a water cooler or a cool case stencil?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #1640 on: June 25, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

Why?  I'm legit telling when to buy and sell and have a proven record of being right.  I know simple math is hard for you but I'll keep wiping your tears away with my Benjamin's as long as I'm in this cryptogame. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: June 25, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
Still waiting to get my lost ETH back....poloniex needs to answer their trouble tickets faster!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: June 25, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »

Why?  I'm legit telling when to buy and sell and have a proven record of being right.  I know simple math is hard for you but I'll keep wiping your tears away with my Benjamin's as long as I'm in this cryptogame.

It's because you're shitting up this thread with this bullshit.  It should go in the bitcoin or some other thread.

The Big Train

« Reply #1643 on: June 25, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »

It's because you're shitting up this thread with this bullshit.  It should go in the bitcoin or some other thread.

Bullshit is making 5 figures in profit in less than 3 months, got it. :thumbs:

The Big Train

« Reply #1644 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »
I'll go ahead tho and just abstain from anything further about this topic ITT.  It's apparent to me it's a trigger for people that don't understand the technology nor have the mental capacity to grasp its impact on the world.  It was fun while it lasted guys!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: June 26, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
Don't go!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: June 26, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »

This is the New to Investing Thread.  Not the Let's Try Risky crap thread.  I don't think anyone has any problem with the content, it's the putting of the content in this thread.  Unless you're advocating that someone new to investing should forgo the typical 401k etc paradigm and do this instead, it doesn't go here. 

The Big Train

« Reply #1647 on: June 26, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »

This is the New to Investing Thread.  Not the Let's Try Risky crap thread.  I don't think anyone has any problem with the content, it's the putting of the content in this thread.  Unless you're advocating that someone new to investing should forgo the typical 401k etc paradigm and do this instead, it doesn't go here.

I understood your point the first time. :thumbs:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: June 26, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
It's apparent to me it's a trigger for people that don't understand the technology nor have the mental capacity to grasp its impact on the world.

this is an incred quote

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: June 26, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
love the thread Nazi's.. wgaf? it's investing and I'm new to the crypto currency game so shut up