Author Topic: Wild Wildcats in NFL Draft  (Read 281191 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Wild Wildcats in 2016 NFL Draft
« Reply #1475 on: April 29, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
Congrats Elijah! Get paid!
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 29, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Wow. 7th round. His choice has cost him a lot of dough. Still cannot believe he declared.

It did? How? I'm confused.

Offline LeggoKatZ

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 29, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
Wow. 7th round. His choice has cost him a lot of dough. Still cannot believe he declared.

I think he's saying if Elijah had stayed for his Senior year he could have been drafted in a earlier round next year & earned more money.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 29, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
Burton - ATL
Moore - SD
Barnett - DEN

signed FA deals

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 29, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »

I think he's saying if Elijah had stayed for his Senior year he could have been drafted in a earlier round next year & earned more money.

Exactly. If he stuck around and had another great year his draft stock would have went way up. Sadly he was told he would be drafted in 3rd-5th rounds.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 29, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »

Exactly. If he stuck around and had another great year his draft stock would have went way up. Sadly he was told he would be drafted in 3rd-5th rounds.

Or he could have got hurt, went undrafted, and had to have tried to make a team as an UDFA recovering from an injury.

When it comes to making risk based decisions that involve six figures and potential major injuries, I have no idea how anyone can have any opinion on what someone else decides is best for them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:01:37 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 30, 2017, 02:50:33 AM »

IF

He declared early because he wanted to get drafted into the NFL, that's exactly what happened. There are no guarantees. Hamburglar talked about the things that could easily go wrong but things could go fine for him and his fortunes aren't guaranteed to get better. Desmond King won the Thorpe award in 2015, he had a late first round-second round grade. He came back for his senior year this past season; didn't get in trouble, didn't get hurt. His senior year he was first team all big 10, he fell to the 5th round.

Besides all of this, as far as his professional aspirations go, there is no difference between a 5th round grade and a 7th round selection. He's a professional football player, if he didn't declare he'd still be playing for free.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 30, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
I doubt we have many players leave early again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 30, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »
Whyisthat?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 30, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Seems like draft position is a pretty relevant factor to consider.  While no difference between 5th and 7th rounds, there's a pretty monumental $$$ difference between 2/3 round and 7th round.  Pretty safe to say he didn't see himself as a 7th rounder.  Might be why he tweeted yesterday "Not how I pictured it going but I am ready to get to work."

Who knows whether he would have stayed another year if he knew he'd go in the 7th.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: April 30, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
Seems like draft position is a pretty relevant factor to consider.  While no difference between 5th and 7th rounds, there's a pretty monumental $$$ difference between 2/3 round and 7th round.  Pretty safe to say he didn't see himself as a 7th rounder.  Might be why he tweeted yesterday "Not how I pictured it going but I am ready to get to work."

Who knows whether he would have stayed another year if he knew he'd go in the 7th.   

I'm going to assume his larger goal was to become a professional football player, besides there really isn't much of a money difference between the 3rd and the 7th round, just the signing bonus, but the overall money for the first contract is nearly identical.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-draft-contract-values-2017-4

Also if he was a 7th rounder this season I'm not sure what he could have done to jump 5 rounds next year. These things don't look like things that would have mysteriously vanished between his third and fourth year of college football.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/elijah-lee?id=2558121

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 30, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
do, but it's disappointing no matter how you shake it. Hope he blows up and makes the team. Definitely not a guarantee. I'd hate to see him without a degree and a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »

Also if he was a 7th rounder this season I'm not sure what he could have done to jump 5 rounds next year.

You may be right - obvs no way to know.  But, Willis is a pretty good example of how an extra year can sometimes help a player.  As a junior, I'm not sure how many people projected Willis as 2nd/3rd round talent.  Many "experts" prob wouldn't' have projected him as NFL talent, period.  But, he had a monster senior season with a good combine performance.  But, like you said, on the flipside, a season-ending injury may have prevented Lee from being drafted at all.  so, who knows. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 30, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
We just got two 3 star KC area recruits drafted to the NFL you guys.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 30, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
As far as I understand it, the nfl doesn't "slot" or mandate guaranteed contracts, so I the only relevance of the round you're drafted in is comparative value.

Like, you can get cut and make zero money as a 1st overall, 7th rounder or ufa.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 30, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
As far as I understand it, the nfl doesn't "slot" or mandate guaranteed contracts, so I the only relevance of the round you're drafted in is comparative value.

Like, you can get cut and make zero money as a 1st overall, 7th rounder or ufa.

That's pretty much correct, but your pretty much not going to get cut as a first rounder as you're likely to get a seven figure signing bonus.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 30, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 01, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804666/article/2017-nfl-draft-28-of-95-early-entry-prospects-go-undrafted

Should early entrants be allowed to return to college if they go undrafted (and prefer not to go the UFA route)?
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:21 AM »
I just hope he makes the roster. I'd hate to see him without a team and a degree.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
I just hope he makes the roster. I'd hate to see him without a team and a degree.

Couldn't he come back to KState in the spring as a student if he didnt make the roster? Or transfer his earned credits to another university? :dunno:

I don't think your academics become null if you enter the draft.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Yeah, but it was free before, now it's not. I was just saying, that's the risk you take.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804666/article/2017-nfl-draft-28-of-95-early-entry-prospects-go-undrafted

Should early entrants be allowed to return to college if they go undrafted (and prefer not to go the UFA route)?

I get the agent stuff but it still seems needlessly punitive. 

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
I think the fear ends up being that so many players would enter the draft it would dilute the product. It also ends up being a bit of a recruitment gamble/nightmare for coaches not knowing if a large chunk of their roster will be back next year or not. Which directly effects new recruits coming in and probably damages the juco recruiting the most. I could see a lot of jucos being recruited to fill a spot, the player doesn't get drafted and comes back, and then those jucos either have to transfer or never see the field.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 01, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Yeah, but it was free before, now it's not. I was just saying, that's the risk you take.

I'm pretty sure they allow schools to cover tuition for athletes that decide to come back and finish degrees. I don't know if K-State offers that for players but I do believe the NCAA now allows that.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 01, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure they allow schools to cover tuition for athletes that decide to come back and finish degrees. I don't know if K-State offers that for players but I do believe the NCAA now allows that.

http://www.kstatesports.com/page/athleteservices-secondwind