Author Topic: NHL open thread (lets go ahead & throw international hockey in here too)  (Read 113856 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NHL 2013 open thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
Another thing to lookout for is the 2013 draft this summer.  The likely #1 pick is Seth Jones, he's a defenseman & the son of fromer NBA power forward Popeye Jones.

Our Junior national team led by Jones just won the World Championships.

Could be the first black (half-white, I know) hockey player taken #1 overall. Read an interesting article about him somewhere (Grantland?) mostly talking about how he got into hockey growing up an Avs fan in Denver
:adios:

Offline Diamond Dave

• Fan
  • Rock the EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2013 open thread
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »
Big time Sharks fan here. I got into hockey growing up watching the Wichita Thunder who put together some great runs in my youth.

Good advice on buying NHL '13 to better understand the game. I know I was confused by a lot of the penalties when I first started watching. Check out the wikipedia pages for simpler explanations for rules and penalties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League_rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(ice_hockey)

Keep in mind NHL rules and penalties vary a bit from the Olympics, international play, etc.

I love it because it's fast paced and physical. A man's sport. For instance, if you're being a douche, somebody will simply kick your ass. There are penalties and ass-kickings that prevent diving (the equivalent of flopping in the NBA or soccer) so it's not a bunch of pussies laying down looking for a whistle. Very physical and intense, rabid fans. Games are also very affordable if you're near a team. Went to the Sharks/Kings playoff games last year a few rows behind the bench and spent about $90 per. Not bad at all. Can't wait to get this thing started!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:40 PM »
Another thing to lookout for is the 2013 draft this summer.  The likely #1 pick is Seth Jones, he's a defenseman & the son of fromer NBA power forward Popeye Jones.

Was led by Rocco and Gibson FTR.  Gibson mostly.

Root for Bruins and lucic or seguin <~~ future star

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »
I enjoy these guys

was totally about to mention the green men. i love these guys. moreso that the rogers arena staff allows this crap.

Offline SliceOfLime

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:51 PM »
Big time Sharks fan here. I got into hockey growing up watching the Wichita Thunder who put together some great runs in my youth.

Good advice on buying NHL '13 to better understand the game. I know I was confused by a lot of the penalties when I first started watching. Check out the wikipedia pages for simpler explanations for rules and penalties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League_rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(ice_hockey)

Keep in mind NHL rules and penalties vary a bit from the Olympics, international play, etc.

I love it because it's fast paced and physical. A man's sport. For instance, if you're being a douche, somebody will simply kick your ass. There are penalties and ass-kickings that prevent diving (the equivalent of flopping in the NBA or soccer) so it's not a bunch of pussies laying down looking for a whistle. Very physical and intense, rabid fans. Games are also very affordable if you're near a team. Went to the Sharks/Kings playoff games  :love:last year a few rows behind the bench and spent about $90 per. Not bad at all. Can't wait to get this thing started!

:love: great post. Couldn't put the thrill of hockey any better way.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:27 AM »

Was led by Rocco and Gibson FTR.  Gibson mostly.

Root for Bruins and lucic or seguin <~~ future star

Gibson was unreal. Even in the Russia and Canada games we lost he was a stud.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Topeka Roadrunners are still in the thick of things!
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Have always been a big Red Wings/Mighty Ducks fan and after last year, I like the Kings too. P fun sport.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
Topeka Roadrunners are still in the thick of things!

Des Moines Bucs!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »
NHL needs to adopt international rules i think to be more successful. The institutionalized fighting is absolutely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). It's supposed to be the highest level of the sport, but instead of fielding the 5 best hocky players in the world on each team you have the 4 best hockey players and one dumbass who likes to get punched in the face.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
NHL needs to adopt international rules i think to be more successful. The institutionalized fighting is absolutely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). It's supposed to be the highest level of the sport, but instead of fielding the 5 best hocky players in the world on each team you have the 4 best hockey players and one dumbass who likes to get punched in the face.

Lockouts and shitty TV deals do way more to hold the league back than fighting ever will.  Goons are typically only on the ice for 5-8 minutes per game, which isn't a big deal because due to the salary cap every team is going to have a handful of mediocre players who only play a few minutes per game.  Any team's best players are going to have more ice time than the pugilists.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
Going to have to make it to Denver for a game.  Stadium seems to be in a good location and since I don't have any close ties, could hopefully become a fan for the local guys pretty easily.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
they have talent and have the best alternate jerseys in the game
I hate the jerseys with the laces.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
I only really got into hockey about 6 or 7 years ago, but love the sport now. I try to go to as many Wichita Thunder games as possible every year and deal with the city's dumbass trash because I enjoy the game that much now. At first I didn't really have a NHL team... followed the Wild and the Penguins, but wasn't that big a fan of either. Finally saw my first NHL game in person last season when I caught a Blues game in St. Louis and quickly adopted them as "my team". Loved their style of play and the fact they don't rely on a true star (I'm a sucker for the underdogs).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »

JFC, eff no.  I'm not married to fighting, frankly I don't care if they have it or don't, there's not much of it relatively speaking.  However, I'm guessing you haven't seen a lot of pros playing IIHF rules, its crazy boring.  The ice is too big and the game is not physical at all.  Did you watch those KHL games during the lockout?  Not wanting fighting is one thing, instituting international rules for an 8 month season would kill the league in North America.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Fan
  • Rock the EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 01:52:23 AM »

JFC, eff no.  I'm not married to fighting, frankly I don't care if they have it or don't, there's not much of it relatively speaking.  However, I'm guessing you haven't seen a lot of pros playing IIHF rules, its crazy boring.  The ice is too big and the game is not physical at all.  Did you watch those KHL games during the lockout?  Not wanting fighting is one thing, instituting international rules for an 8 month season would kill the league in North America.

This.

While international rules make for a more 'pure' hockey, it's rough ridin' boring. Outside of the NHL I can only watch olympic hockey and that's really only because it's the olympics. Goons are few and far between these days. Yes, they exist, but not at the rate they used to. Teams can't afford to fill up a roster spot with a one dimensional player who's a liability on both sides of the puck. While it doesn't make or break my fandom, I do enjoy fighting here and there. It can change momentum and pump up a team, much like a big hit in football.

Offline SliceOfLime

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
Does anyone know if the strike resulted in any major rule changes?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NHL 2013 open thread
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
Does anyone know if the strike resulted in any major rule changes?
Players get 50% of revenue instead of 57%
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
are the jets any good?  i have a sizable amount of jets clothing, so i hope they are good.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SliceOfLime

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
are the jets any good?  i have a sizable amount of jets clothing, so i hope they are good.
With the salary cap being so low, it's its almost impossible for teams to maintain a dynasty. When a teams wins the cup or goes far in the playoffs, the players demand more money and the teams can't afford to keep all of them. So I guess they will be gaurenteed to be good at least once in the next five years. And why do you have Jets gear?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
With the salary cap being so low, it's its almost impossible for teams to maintain a dynasty. When a teams wins the cup or goes far in the playoffs, the players demand more money and the teams can't afford to keep all of them. So I guess they will be gaurenteed to be good at least once in the next five years. And why do you have Jets gear?

guy my mom is seeing lives in winnipeg and has season tickets, etc.  2 Christmases worth of jets clothing.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Who is everyone's least favorite team? Probs the Avalanche for me because they play boring hockey.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
Who is everyone's least favorite team? Probs the Avalanche for me because they play boring hockey.

I haven't seen the ducks go into a flying v a single time. It's just impossible for me to root for a group of players who have left Coach Bombay's tutelage by the wayside like that.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
My favorite team is the Red Wings.  The Avs are evil because of Claude Lemieux.  Do not root for the Avs.

The only hockey I watch anymore is the Winter Classic, which is sad.  I wish ESPN/Fox/NBC would get back on board.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »

This.

While international rules make for a more 'pure' hockey, it's rough ridin' boring. Outside of the NHL I can only watch olympic hockey and that's really only because it's the olympics. Goons are few and far between these days. Yes, they exist, but not at the rate they used to. Teams can't afford to fill up a roster spot with a one dimensional player who's a liability on both sides of the puck. While it doesn't make or break my fandom, I do enjoy fighting here and there. It can change momentum and pump up a team, much like a big hit in football.

Ok, I'll take your words for it. I don't watch hockey really so my opinions are easily educated.