Author Topic: NHL open thread (lets go ahead & throw international hockey in here too)  (Read 113883 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: NHL open thread (lets go ahead & throw international hockey in here too)
« Reply #1125 on: February 27, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »
Most will have ushers blocking the entries into the seating bowl from the concourse. They don't want people walking down the aisle, distracting people when a galvanized puck traveling in excess of 100mph could fly into the stands.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Time to brush the cobwebs off in here. It's time for the Stanley Cup playoffs :billdance:

Time to take a spin on the ol' Blues fan wheel of misfortune. What heartbreak will it be this year? Blow a 3-1 series lead? Weak goal allowed to lose the series? Obvious illegal goal called a good goal to lose a series? Multiple star players injured? Random scrub dropping a 5/4/9 line?

Stay tuned...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 13, 2017, 02:55:53 AM »
eff the NHL playoffs :curse:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 13, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »

I'm sure Seattle will be in the playoffs soon enough

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 13, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »

I'm sure Seattle will be in the playoffs soon enough

I will kill you.

Seriously though, if they have to leave Arizona, they aren't going to Seattle. They would have the same arena issues but in a smaller market.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
MIR, I need your thoughts on the Winnipeg Jets.  I need a team & Tulsa is their ECHL affiliate now.  Do players from the ECHL make it up to the NHL much?  From what I've seen, it looks like the prospects with a realistic chance go straight to the AHL.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:30:54 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »
Oh boy, mir hates the jets  :excited:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 05, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
MIR, I need your thoughts on the Winnipeg Jets.  I need a team & Tulsa is their ECHL affiliate now.  Do players from the ECHL make it up to the NHL much?  From what I've seen, it looks like the prospects with a realistic chance go straight to the AHL.

Very few actually make it to more than a couple games in the NHL. Best bet to see a legit NHL prospect are goalies. Maybe a random DITR makes it as a low line grinder or bottom pair defenseman.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 05, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »

Very few actually make it to more than a couple games in the NHL. Best bet to see a legit NHL prospect are goalies. Maybe a random DITR makes it as a low line grinder or bottom pair defenseman.

Yeah this is pretty much right, if an organization is deep at a spot you'll potentially see a prospect in the E. The cities have a goalie they think a lot of that played the entire season for Rapid City. But yeah, for the most part the affiliations for the E are largely marketing pieces. When I worked for the Wichita Thunder AA hockey teams that had an affiliation, there were like two, were openly mocked. That changed when the CHL and the ECHL merged.

As far as the Jets go, they have really fun players, but they are chronic underachievers, like really badly too. They clearly have some unresolved issue that prevents them from being one of the top 8 teams in the West, even though their talent is clearly playoff level.

I hate the ever loving hell out of their whiny ass, dumb, hypocritical, North North Dakota shitbrain fans. Ugh, gross. I hate them more than I hate Nebraska fans.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 19, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 20, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
The announcement of the move to the mountain division is a much bigger deal, a couple of old CHL in that division.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 20, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »
I always liked that Tulsa rivalry better than the OKC one before they moved up.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »
Division pretty much means nothing other than playoff seeding. They played mostly the same teams last year that they'll play this year. Affiliation, or more accurately who they're affiliated with is all pretty meh to me. Some teams are better than others but in the end it comes down to injury luck of the NHL/AHL teams.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »

Is this Doan or Smith related? Or both?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 20, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
I don't care one bit about Mike Smith.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »
Does Wichita have the trash northern/eastern transplants that go to Thunder games to get their hockey fix?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 21, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Does Wichita have the trash northern/eastern transplants that go to Thunder games to get their hockey fix?
Mainly Wisky Tangos from Park City and Haysville.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
Yea it's super Whiskey Tango and the games, but if you're stuck in Wichita that's most of the city so it's not really a surprise. Honestly I'd guess a lot of the Midwest lower level hockey fans are that way. I've only been to ECHL/CHL games in Tulsa, Kansas City, and Allen but hey all had a pretty good portion that fall into that category.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 21, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
The "Puckheads" were (are?) a section that was a sea of mullets wearing these things. I think they were mostly from Haysville. TBH they were really loyal fans and traveled to a lot of away games. Just not attractive people and probably bad smelling.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
Ohh and the main guy would dance in the isles with a stuffed doll like thing in a noose with either the other teams colors or a ref shirt on it. I always thought that was very :sdeek: :opcat:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 21, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
There's not a lot of the , but Tulsa has a group of fans that are originally from hockey heavy areas.  Most are 400 lbs.  Over time they've all started sitting around each other & are proud they're real hockey fans.  They do stuff like on a delayed penalty yell out "raise your hand if you're gay".  I used to get suite tickets just above them.  However, now we always sit on the opposite side on the glass, so I don't see or hear them anymore.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »
Yeah, when I worked for the Thunder I'd say well over 90% of the season ticket holders and regulars were Thunder fans who became hockey fans secondarily. Thing is AA hockey is generally played in areas where hockey is not a thing at all. There are some traditional hockey markets in the ECHL, there were none in the CHL, including Colorado.

I went to every single old school CHL arena, most more than once, the most knowledgeable fans were easily Wichita, OKC, and Colorado. Tulsa was apathetic, because their building was awful before the BOK Center. Bossier/Shreveport had the rowdiest fans, obnoxiously drunk and belligerent. No one else cared.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 21, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »
Now that they're in the BOK, it's way too big.  Even when there's a couple thousand, it still feels empty. Also, the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce & Sports Commishion did a very good job of getting local businesses invested & involved in getting the BOK built.  The downside for hockey is I'm guessing 50% of attendance is people getting free tickets & have no idea what's going on or cares.  Mrs. Hamburg & I are the very rare few that grew to like it out of free tickets.  They're stuck in a cycle of apathetic attendance making the atmosphere terrible & a terrible atmosphere making it difficult to grow a fan base that's invested & cares.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 22, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
They do a pretty good job at Intrust. They curtain off the upper deck and the lower bowl is about 1/2 to 3/4 full on good nights. But yeah a lot of the attendance is free ticket peeps but most people are actually engaged.

The crowds actually look a little more affluent with the move to the downtown arena. You can actually do something before or after in and around the arena. People really hated driving out to that dump Kansas Coliseum for a game to then immediately just head back home.