Author Topic: here comes 2014 tennis  (Read 39526 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: here comes 2012 tennis
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

I did.  I don't play much anymore.  Since I moved to I've only met people who don't play at all or who play all the time and kick my ass.  I did recently find out that the town I live in has a ladder system, so I think I'm going to jump into that now that it's cooling off. 

fatty would've kicked your ass hardest.

you get hamburglar off the boards and he'll tell you a couple pretty great fatty/fatty fam stories  :thumbs:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

I did.  I don't play much anymore.  Since I moved to I've only met people who don't play at all or who play all the time and kick my ass.  I did recently find out that the town I live in has a ladder system, so I think I'm going to jump into that now that it's cooling off. 

you get hamburglar off the boards and he'll tell you a couple pretty great fatty/fatty fam stories  :thumbs:

He was at MOAP3 but I don't remember any stories.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

Someone give me the details of MOAP3.1 and remind me.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

Someone give me the details of MOAP3.1 and remind me.

There is no MOAP3.1.  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
hamburg, pm'd MOAP details on the way

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
I'm glad you clarified that because I was about to completely light you up, your first statement didn't play well.  You started whining about the Williams sisters when the topic was RF's groupies.  Certainly whatever reason Serena showed up late was okay with the tournament officials and the WTA.  It was a sanctioned event that has rules, you can't show up when you want to.  If she was 90 minutes late she would have been withdrawn from the tournament & fined.  Also why can't I find an article, blog entry, or even a story comment about this delay?

As for not liking her because she pouts, you must not like a lot of tennis players.  Sharapova is the biggest pouter ever, more tennis players pout than the alternative. 

Also fans and the media fall all over her because she's won 14 goddamned majors and 4 gold medals.  She's unquestionably the greatest women's player of all time.

If you want to dislike her because she is an bad person to lines people, that's fine.  Not liking her because she's done the work to be the most physically imposing player ever yet quick and fit is really dumb.  Venus Williams is the most harmless, benign, boring star player on the tour.

Serena wasn't punish for being late because the fans would have majorly revolted.  By the rules, she should have been, but the paying customers would have burned the place down.  I would have agreed with you on Venus before watching her play.  My point (and I admit my first post looked bad) is I was surprised by how much their fans let that stuff go.  I also don't really care for Sharapova either, but I know alot of tennis fans that don't for the same reasons I came out of Cincy not really caring for the Williams sisters.  They get a pass because they are American (which is understandable).

I also agree with you that the fans fall all over her because she's won 14 grandslams and 4 gold medals, but they do the same for Roger because he's arguably the greatest of all time.  That's my original point their fans are equally as annoying for the same reason as Roger's, but when I saw it in person I was surprised with what their fans had to let pass compared to Roger's, espeically because a chunk of them complain about Sharapova for some of the same reasons.

From what I remember of this Serena started an hour late becuase ESPN wanted to show the finish of Venus' match because it was close and a very good match.  Center court was running on two hour splits and the match before it ended about 10 or 15 min before the next match was scheduled to start so they had some wiggle room and decided that showing Venus' match to the end and all of Serena's was more beneficial than starting all of the matches exactly on time espically when they already have plans when matches last longer than two hours which is why the schedule says, for example, that a match will start not beore 1:00 pm, meaning that it could start later.  Although, I don't think that they expected the match to start an hour later, I'm guessing they thought it would take 20-30 min max.  I seem to remember one of the players on Venus' match making an unexpected push at the end of the match.

Still, I'm not a fan of the Williams sisters but I was sitting in Center Court as this happened and this is what I remember of it.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
I'm glad you clarified that because I was about to completely light you up, your first statement didn't play well.  You started whining about the Williams sisters when the topic was RF's groupies.  Certainly whatever reason Serena showed up late was okay with the tournament officials and the WTA.  It was a sanctioned event that has rules, you can't show up when you want to.  If she was 90 minutes late she would have been withdrawn from the tournament & fined.  Also why can't I find an article, blog entry, or even a story comment about this delay?

As for not liking her because she pouts, you must not like a lot of tennis players.  Sharapova is the biggest pouter ever, more tennis players pout than the alternative. 

Also fans and the media fall all over her because she's won 14 goddamned majors and 4 gold medals.  She's unquestionably the greatest women's player of all time.

If you want to dislike her because she is an bad person to lines people, that's fine.  Not liking her because she's done the work to be the most physically imposing player ever yet quick and fit is really dumb.  Venus Williams is the most harmless, benign, boring star player on the tour.

Serena wasn't punish for being late because the fans would have majorly revolted.  By the rules, she should have been, but the paying customers would have burned the place down.  I would have agreed with you on Venus before watching her play.  My point (and I admit my first post looked bad) is I was surprised by how much their fans let that stuff go.  I also don't really care for Sharapova either, but I know alot of tennis fans that don't for the same reasons I came out of Cincy not really caring for the Williams sisters.  They get a pass because they are American (which is understandable).

I also agree with you that the fans fall all over her because she's won 14 grandslams and 4 gold medals, but they do the same for Roger because he's arguably the greatest of all time.  That's my original point their fans are equally as annoying for the same reason as Roger's, but when I saw it in person I was surprised with what their fans had to let pass compared to Roger's, espeically because a chunk of them complain about Sharapova for some of the same reasons.

From what I remember of this Serena started an hour late becuase ESPN wanted to show the finish of Venus' match because it was close and a very good match.  Center court was running on two hour splits and the match before it ended about 10 or 15 min before the next match was scheduled to start so they had some wiggle room and decided that showing Venus' match to the end and all of Serena's was more beneficial than starting all of the matches exactly on time espically when they already have plans when matches last longer than two hours which is why the schedule says, for example, that a match will start not beore 1:00 pm, meaning that it could start later.  Although, I don't think that they expected the match to start an hour later, I'm guessing they thought it would take 20-30 min max.  I seem to remember one of the players on Venus' match making an unexpected push at the end of the match.

Still, I'm not a fan of the Williams sisters but I was sitting in Center Court as this happened and this is what I remember of it.

Serena was late.  I talked to one of the officials while walking over to Serena's court from Venus's.  Also,  :shakesfist:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:26:11 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »

The best :love:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »

The best :love:

was a great match

I left after the first set & recorded the rest of the match because I thought Vika we going to get beat 6-2 6-1.  I just finished watching, man it was awesome.  I really like Vika.  I don't like her awkward mannerisms or the constant shots of her smelly looking boyfriend though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
Watching these assholes play is pissing me off.  If they don't get anything off of the first serve they are just playing the ball to the middle of the court waiting for their opponent to make an unforced error.  A 90 minute set isn't intense, its gutless tennis.  :flush:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
Tennis is great.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »
I've stayed up until 3:00ish every night this week.  Totally love all the grand slam events and how they're shown live at all hours.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »

FYSW!! SO close, wawrinka,  and you can't help but blow it again. djokovic plays a terrible game for 5 hours and still wins it. terrible.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
Anyone watch the Sloane/Serena match?  Any thoughts?  Can she me the next dominate American femail tennis player?  I hope so.   :excited:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
Serena is getting too old.  Sloane will probably get murdered by Azerenka.  But, yeah, Sloane is big time.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
I mean, Serena is (has been) obviously on steroids or growth hormone or whatever right?  If you saw her and a linebacker from the thighs down I'm not sure you could tell the difference.  Her arms look like David Hoskins'.
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
Guys, it's 2013 now . . .

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: here comes 2013 tennis
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
pretty butthurt that Federer-Murray is on at 2:30 in the morning tomorrow. pretty sad too.  :frown:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »
How about Vika taking advantage of the stupid MTO rule? And my guy Jo Willie not able to get over the hump :cry:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
pretty butthurt that Federer-Murray is on at 2:30 in the morning tomorrow. pretty sad too.  :frown:

There's a replay on in the afternoon.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
How about Vika taking advantage of the stupid MTO rule?

This is only my second year watching, but I remember almost the exact same situation last year.  Can't remember the match, but it was an obvious abuse.  I also remember several times when a player would have the trainer give them a rub down on the court when it seemed that their primary motivation was just to stop the match in order to regroup.  So, I mean, my reaction is like, "it happens," and I wonder why they talk about it like it's so shocking and controversial.