Author Topic: Bowl Projections  (Read 336486 times)

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl Projections
« Reply #1200 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
I'm not saying Garrett took a dive, I'm just saying that motivation varies across settings and this setting, a fairly meaningless bowl game for a program that thinks they are super superior, is a recipe for a future top 5 pick to play it safe.

I almost guarantee that he did. He would never admit to it but I think he did.

Speaking of a similar situation, I saw this SEC Storied thing on Mizzou. It detailed their 2012 season. they were talking to Michael Sam and he was saying that he basically played the Cotton Bowl as carefully as he could because all he wanted to do is not get hurt so his draft stock wouldn't be downgraded.

Then in a crucial situation he turned it on and forced a fumble that wrapped up the Mizzou win.

I can only imagine that more players will either sit out or take it easy in non-NY6 bowl games after McCaffrey and Lenny Fourney sat out last season.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
I think gE has said for years that bowl games are meaningless.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »

Always ahead of the curve. I think what's interesting with the current situation is that the players are increasingly feeling this way too.

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 10, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »

Always ahead of the curve. I think what's interesting with the current situation is that the players are increasingly feeling this way too.

I've wondered this myself, especially since the playoff became a thing. Mid- and lower-tier bowl games don't seem like much more than a money grab for sponsors these days, kinda like all these one-off postseason basketball tournaments (CBI, Vegas 16, etc.). We've already run into the problem of having more bowl games than teams with 6+ wins, so they have to let in teams with losing records. I can only imagine that will just get worse.

There will always be at least a couple "benefits" to playing in lesser bowl games - extra practices for underclassmen, one more chance for non pro-bound seniors to put on their pads, an occasional intriguing matchup (still hoping for the chance to crush Nebraska's dreams on a neutral field) - but with terrible (if any) payouts and little more than bragging rights on the line, they've definitely lost their luster.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1204 on: July 10, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »

I've wondered this myself, especially since the playoff became a thing. Mid- and lower-tier bowl games don't seem like much more than a money grab for sponsors these days, kinda like all these one-off postseason basketball tournaments (CBI, Vegas 16, etc.). We've already run into the problem of having more bowl games than teams with 6+ wins, so they have to let in teams with losing records. I can only imagine that will just get worse.

There will always be at least a couple "benefits" to playing in lesser bowl games - extra practices for underclassmen, one more chance for non pro-bound seniors to put on their pads, an occasional intriguing matchup (still hoping for the chance to crush Nebraska's dreams on a neutral field) - but with terrible (if any) payouts and little more than bragging rights on the line, they've definitely lost their luster.

A lot of people take time off around the holidays, and it's fun having football on all of the time.  And 95% of them are games where teams with winning records play each other, so there's some pretty good quality football being played.

I like bowls.  They're fun, and they don't really hurt anyone.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 10, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »

A lot of people take time off around the holidays, and it's fun having football on all of the time.  And 95% of them are games where teams with winning records play each other, so there's some pretty good quality football being played.

Also even the lowest of the bowls reportedly get good ratings for ESPN - better than most of the regular season college basketball games ESPN airs in similar time slots.

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »

I was talking more about the lack of draw for the school and players in particular. Sorry, I guess I didn't make that very clear. There will always be perks for fans*, especially for a fan base that travels as well as ours. I've made a couple bowl trips and will definitely continue to do so.

*Except in the Pinstripe Bowl. Everything about that game is bad.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 18, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/jaylon-smith-christian-mccaffrey-nfl-draft-bowl

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wPOfTGegA[/youtube]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 18, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/jaylon-smith-christian-mccaffrey-nfl-draft-bowl

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wPOfTGegA[/youtube]

Nope, saw that live on tv, don't need to relive that
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 31, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 15, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-18-college-football-bowl-projections-preseason-calls-for-each-of-the-games/

2015 Liberty Bowl rematch.

if this happens, there will be a lot of good meltdowns this season.

My thoughts too. That would equate to 6th place team in the league. Which would mean we went 7-5 or 6-6. Not good.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 15, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »
the internet would be a lot of fun though.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 15, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-18-college-football-bowl-projections-preseason-calls-for-each-of-the-games/

2015 Liberty Bowl rematch.

if this happens, there will be a lot of good meltdowns this season.

My thoughts too. That would equate to 6th place team in the league. Which would mean we went 7-5 or 6-6. Not good.

I may be looking at it wrong but us making the Liberty Bowl seems to mean we would finish 5th in the league. Still not a positive, but better than 6th.

OSU in the New Years Six
Oklahoma in the Alamo
Texas in the Camping World Bowl
TCU in the Texas Bowl
KSU in Liberty Bowl
West Virginia in the Cactus
*No BigXII team eligible to play in Heart of Dallas Bowl

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 15, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
thanks for clarifying that yard dog

dnr

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 15, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
the internet would be a lot of fun though.
eff you it would
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 18, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/898547102418128897

A lawn mower company is sponsoring a bowl played on turf. This is 2017.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »

You don't become the bad boys of mowing when you play by the rules

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 18, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »

You don't become the bad boys of mowing when you play by the rules
lulz

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 24, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 24, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »