Author Topic: Is it racist?  (Read 7562 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is it racist?
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Quick question for the MIR and other experts on racism and race-related issues...

I was talking on the phone the other day to a customer service representative. This was an issue I'd called about previously, but they had no record of my prior call. I then said "well, I can't remember the name of the person I spoke to, but it was a black woman" on such and such date.

At which point the rep paused and then said [imagine snottiest tone possible] "well how do you know she was black?" I answered "uh, she had a black voice?"

So admittedly, "black voice" probably wasn't the best phraseology - I was pretty taken aback by the rep getting so offended.

So is it racist to identify someone as black/white based solely on their voice?

(Also, this would probably be a helpful master thread for similar inquiries).

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Is it racist?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »
You know how many doctors I've hired that my inside voice thought they were probably a certain race, but only to find out they weren't afterwards, and I was like yeah, this is why you don't make assumptions. It's kinda racist. I'd definitely keep that inside voice inside. Saying you thought you probably talked with a female is the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:37:37 PM by WackyCat08 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »
My inside voice tells me to do things. Bad things.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
was it the tone or other physical quality of their voice or like they said things that you believe only black women say?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:47 PM »
Two CSRs (one possibly being a black lady) are totally gaslighting K-S-U-W and high-5'n about it

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
What about.ignorant sounding.people, like a slow talkin southern?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
I'm more curious why you thought saying it was a black woman would narrow it down thar much as to who you spoke with. I think that's the bigger issue that may be racist.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
was it the tone or other physical quality of their voice or like they said things that you believe only black women say?

No, purely the tone - if that's the right word - not grammar, etc. I just think that, generally speaking, black people sound different than white people. And to be more precise, I know a few black people who I wouldn't be able to tell are black over the phone, but I've never met a white person who I would mistake for a black person over the phone. The voices just generally sound different to me. I don't think that's a racist observation, but the question is whether it is racist to say (as opposed internally thinking) that someone is black based purely on hearing their voice.

I'm more curious why you thought saying it was a black woman would narrow it down thar much as to who you spoke with. I think that's the bigger issue that may be racist.

Fair question. To be honest, I was kind of on the defensive. I wasn't expecting the rep to flat out deny I had made the prior call, so I was reaching for any detail to indicate that I wasn't making it up. So I just started spouting everything about the prior conversation I could remember (she was a black woman, it was on such and such date, she read me the terms, etc.)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
Not racist, just dumb. Even if you could tell race by a voice (which I'd guess most people could do with slightly better than purely random odds), you are much better off being general in that situation. If you end up describing someone who definitely doesn't work there then you're mumped.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »
Two CSRs (one possibly being a black lady) are totally gaslighting K-S-U-W and high-5'n about it

The second is probably black too, who else would get so offended? #pcculture
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
it was clearly the ed's sister

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »

No, purely the tone - if that's the right word - not grammar, etc. I just think that, generally speaking, black people sound different than white people. And to be more precise, I know a few black people who I wouldn't be able to tell are black over the phone, but I've never met a white person who I would mistake for a black person over the phone. The voices just generally sound different to me. I don't think that's a racist observation, but the question is whether it is racist to say (as opposed internally thinking) that someone is black based purely on hearing their voice.

Fair question. To be honest, I was kind of on the defensive. I wasn't expecting the rep to flat out deny I had made the prior call, so I was reaching for any detail to indicate that I wasn't making it up. So I just started spouting everything about the prior conversation I could remember (she was a black woman, it was on such and such date, she read me the terms, etc.)
Including the rest of those details in the op would have made you look better. I read it as your only statement was that she was a black lady, not race among a list of other details.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »

Nope, #acting/#gaslighting.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
One time I had talked to a guy on the phone a lot and I assumed he was a slightly nerdy white guy. But then I saw a picture of him and he was actually a hot black guy. Am I racist because of that?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »
it was clearly the ed's sister

Quote from: Adam Carolla
I assume you're a man of color?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
When that CSR finds the black voice and tells them "the racist voice is calling you back", are you offended?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Is it racist?
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
I would say black guy if I am looking for a black guy that helped me in person. If you have some power that helps you know a person is black by their voice characteristics I think it's fine though I wouldn't say that because I think people may not believe you actually can.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
I think the real issue is who even calls customer service anymore? 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »

It's the same guy who ordered an engagement ring over the phone
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »

Oh man, gaslighting is a fun term, people should put in their posts whenever possible.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »

Oh man, gaslighting is a fun term, people don't slip it into their posts often enough I say.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me what wacky does for a living?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »

You are right - if I had done this by chat I could have saved a transcript. But this was to cancel my cable. I think break ups at least deserve a phone call.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »

You are right - if I had done this by chat I could have saved a transcript. But this was to cancel my cable. I think break ups at least deserve a phone call.

You only need to call TW once to cancel.  Not sure why you reference a prior call.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:53 PM »
We had to call TWC about five or six times to cancel cable TV.  First to cancel, then to "officially" cancel to make sure it was cancelled by a certain date, then to correct the billing error that failed to reflect said cancelling, then to correct the next billing error which was supposed to account for the first billing error, then to correct for the following billing error that was supposed to correct for the previous errors as well as a "we're sorry for being such dumbasses" deduction.