Author Topic: debt ceiling  (Read 15303 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: debt ceiling
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »
Maybe we do have a revenue problem.

In the deficit equation, it's definitely the second biggest problem.

I don't know. I would tend to agree, but when you put the two graphs next to each other, the deficit is growing much faster than spending.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
Maybe we do have a revenue problem.

In the deficit equation, it's definitely the second biggest problem.

I don't know. I would tend to agree, but when you put the two graphs next to each other, the deficit is growing much faster than spending.

That's because his graph is an intentional misrepresentation of government growth.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: debt ceiling
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
for all intensive purposes.

Great debate everyone. I would like to jump in and disqualify camKSU from any further posting

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Re: debt ceiling
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »

Great debate everyone. I would like to jump in and disqualify camKSU from any further posting

I was saving it for SkinnyBenny, but he must be busy.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: debt ceiling
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

I saw that but sometimes its best to nip things in the bud.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: debt ceiling
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »

I saw that but sometimes its best to nip things in the bud.

I was so gonna bust his balls about that but I had to weed through two pages of crap before I got to it.   Nice work boys.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
debt ceiling
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »

Right... I forgot there is no room for any other ideas or opinions than the ignorant right wing propaganda that you jabronies spout... Please proceed.
untuck manhattan

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Oh, oh, BUT you see, he was just a young Senator trying to make a name for himself.  Today, it's "Golly, why do we need that silly debt ceiling thing anyway?   They're just numbers, nothing but silly numbers."

Mr. OBAMA: Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.

Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘‘the buck stops here.’’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
debt ceiling
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
Oh, oh, BUT you see, he was just a young Senator trying to make a name for himself.  Today, it's "Golly, why do we need that silly debt ceiling thing anyway?   They're just numbers, nothing but silly numbers."

Mr. OBAMA: Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.

Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘‘the buck stops here.’’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.

Link?
untuck manhattan

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
The national debt is a big problem, but can we stop acting like this is all of a sudden such a big deal, or that it is all Obama's fault or all the republican congressmen and senators' fault?  I mean, JFC, the debt ceiling being raised is only new in that it is a news issue now.  I think everyone agrees that we need to get the deficit under control, and although there is obvious discord about how to do it, holding our credit hostage by refusing to raise the debt ceiling seems to be more petty political gamesmanship rather than an actual solution.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL31967.pdf
:adios:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »

Right... I forgot there is no room for any other ideas or opinions than the ignorant right wing propaganda that you jabronies spout... Please proceed.

It's not your ideas under attack, you are being nitpicked for your Eggcorn.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

Link?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/debtlimit.asp

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
The national debt is a big problem, but can we stop acting like this is all of a sudden such a big deal, or that it is all Obama's fault or all the republican congressmen and senators' fault?  I mean, JFC, the debt ceiling being raised is only new in that it is a news issue now.  I think everyone agrees that we need to get the deficit under control, and although there is obvious discord about how to do it, holding our credit hostage by refusing to raise the debt ceiling seems to be more petty political gamesmanship rather than an actual solution.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL31967.pdf

No I view the problem remembering the faux cries of Democrats in 2006 who used War, Deficits, Debt as a way to win control of Congress . . . then to turn around and not find a war funding bill they didn't pass, a federal budget deficit they didn't increase dramatically, and national debt that grew at record pace.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
debt ceiling
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

It's not your ideas under attack, you are being nitpicked for your Eggcorn.

The error that has them all butt hurt is my malapropism but calling posters "tard" is cool with them. Gotcha.
untuck manhattan

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
debt ceiling
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »

Link?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/debtlimit.asp

Thanks. Was ill informed that he had taken this stance 7 years ago. Although as he has since responded, to hold this increase hostage is in error and is a mere political ploy and posturing.

What would be your response as to why taxes cannot be increased when they are the lowest in 60 years?
untuck manhattan

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
debt ceiling
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
Another graphic displaying the debt increases over the last five presidents.

[attachment deleted by admin]
untuck manhattan

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

I meaan, that is missing like 21 months of data for Barry O., but it is kind of interesting I guess.
:adios:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »

Do it without military spending. :curse:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »

Do it without military spending. :curse:

That's kind of hard to do since there is no specific "military" revenue.  Do you mean if each president kept annual military spending the same as their first year in office?  Take military spending completely out of the equation?  Need defined parameters.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

These graphics are hilarious.

The national debt was about $10 trillion 4 years ago, it's now $16 trillion. Spin it any way you want. Bush sucked, Obama is worse.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Did you post this for laughs or are you serious? That is one of the most painful cooked number comparisons I have ever seen.

Look honey, we can upgrade the kitchen, it will only cost 1/3rd the houses entire value! Don't worry though, the guy before us renovated the living room at 1/4th of the house's previous value!

Debt = 1.0
Regan - 1.0* 1.89 = 1.89 total gain = .89 (8 years)
Bush - 1.89*1.55 = 2.92 total gain = 1.04 (4 years)
Clinton - 2.92*1.37 = 4.04 total gain = 1.084 (8 years)
Bush - 4.04*1.86 = 7.51 total gain = 3.47 (8 years)
Obama - 7.51*1.35 = 10.13 total gain = 2.62 (4 years)

Obama is on track to spend roughly 1.66 times as much money as bush over an equal amount of time.

Edit: didn't realize that info was from 2 years ago, Obama is on track to spend over 3x as much money as bush over the same time period. Congrats Obama!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:46:24 PM by eastcat »

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:53 PM »
untuck manhattan

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Wait, is camKSU's point that because one idiot did it then it's okay to keep doing it?  Because if so that's a stupid rough ridin' argument.  Just curious though.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-debt-ceiling-is-pointless-and-dangerous-nearly-all-economists-agree/267218/

Hmm, either you guys are right or 37 economists from across the country are wrong...

:dunno:

LOL, all university professors. Find me some real world CFO's and we can talk. You're horrible at this, Jay Carney.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
Wait, is camKSU's point that because one idiot did it then it's okay to keep doing it?  Because if so that's a stupid rough ridin' argument.  Just curious though.

Not directly my point... moreso that it really has only become a major point of debate (even while then Sen. O's position in 2007) on a national scale the last two years.

In addition, the house, senate, and president all contribute to the creating budget for a given year so to decide on what is being spent and to then say we shouldn't raise the debt to pay for it is a little contradictory.
untuck manhattan