Author Topic: what if jerry ertz is a complete badass??  (Read 148433 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: what if jimmy ertz is a complete badass??
« Reply #625 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
Okay, I'll indulge your ridiculous hypothetical. Lets say Thompson has this incredibly unique skill set that he can only maximize his ability in the two minutes drill. Would he still have this amazing skill after sitting for three hours and not having any sense at all of the speed of the game he's entering?

Don't indulge him, please.

I think he's proposing we use Thompson as a closer.  Don't risk injury and keep that cannon fresh.  Genius.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 07, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
Has anyone insinuated Ertz won't improve?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 07, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
i'm somewhat insinuating that it won't much matter because he'll be on the sideline with an injury to some part of his body

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 07, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
I've always felt that it's mostly (not entirely) a byproduct of the coaching staff allowing the QB's to do more in the offense.  The diversity of play calls in year two for all of these guys is much greater, and they're allowed more freedom to spread the ball down the field.

Of course, there's always the fact that we drill the crap out of them over the winter in the film room, they get added reps in the Spring and Summer as the clear #1, etc.  But there is something systemic in what we do that accounts for this jump, and I remember how much they opened the book up for Ell, Klein, Waters, etc. in year two.  I feel that's a pretty significant variable.

I agree and its very significant.

I would guess Ertz's biggest jumps will come in YPA and TDs. Its possible, if not likely, that INT% and YPC will get slightly worse, but mostly because he will be allowed to take a few more chances and defenses will have better gameplans against him. Overall, the efficiency of the offense will go up, especially since he'll be paired with the best SO running back besides Sproles and a very good JR in Silmon. Plus a pretty good group of playmakers at WR. IMO, next year's offense is going to be really good, at least top 30 and probably top 20.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 07, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
Who is Thompson and why does Steffy think he is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he isn't from Iowa or a walk on from Kansas.

4-Stars! Since we seem to have such good luck with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: December 07, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
His jump ball throws usually are targeted to open receivers. He just underthrows them by enough that they have to stop. They wouldn't be jump ball throws if he were a better QB.
I missed most of the OSU game but the only times I remember Ertz throwing the ball over the defense downfield were in the early games of the season (Stanford and WVU) and even then they were touch throws, the "put a fade in a shoebox" TD to Zuber v Stanford is probably his TD pass that traveled the farthest in the air.

The big play on the double move or play action is easily the biggest place for Ertz to improve and we should have a ton of opportunities with what will be the best running game since 2001.  Unless there is another 1Y hidden away on our roster we will have to beat OU and OSU in shootouts and that is hard to do if they don't respect Ertz's arm.

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 07, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
His jump ball throws usually are targeted to open receivers. He just underthrows them by enough that they have to stop. They wouldn't be jump ball throws if he were a better QB.
I missed most of the OSU game but the only times I remember Ertz throwing the ball over the defense downfield were in the early games of the season (Stanford and WVU) and even then they were touch throws, the "put a fade in a shoebox" TD to Zuber v Stanford is probably his TD pass that traveled the farthest in the air.

The big play on the double move or play action is easily the biggest place for Ertz to improve and we should have a ton of opportunities with what will be the best running game since 2001.  Unless there is another 1Y hidden away on our roster we will have to beat OU and OSU in shootouts and that is hard to do if they don't respect Ertz's arm.

Does anyone keep stats for yards traveled in the air? We must rank similarly to triple option teams.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 07, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
Okay, I'll indulge your ridiculous hypothetical. Lets say Thompson has this incredibly unique skill set that he can only maximize his ability in the two minutes drill. Would he still have this amazing skill after sitting for three hours and not having any sense at all of the speed of the game he's entering?

Never was a problem for Mariano Rivera.

(Do we have a drop the mic emoticon?)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what if jimmy ertz is a complete badass??
« Reply #633 on: December 07, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »

Does anyone keep stats for yards traveled in the air? We must rank similarly to triple option teams.

Well, maybe not triple, but we are an option team.

As for that stat, no, but here are a ton of advanced stats here:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-kansas-state-advanced-statistical-profile

And yes, we are a very effective and efficient running team with very few big plays, especially in the passing game.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 07, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
I've always felt that it's mostly (not entirely) a byproduct of the coaching staff allowing the QB's to do more in the offense.  The diversity of play calls in year two for all of these guys is much greater, and they're allowed more freedom to spread the ball down the field.

Of course, there's always the fact that we drill the crap out of them over the winter in the film room, they get added reps in the Spring and Summer as the clear #1, etc.  But there is something systemic in what we do that accounts for this jump, and I remember how much they opened the book up for Ell, Klein, Waters, etc. in year two.  I feel that's a pretty significant variable.

I agree and its very significant.

I would guess Ertz's biggest jumps will come in YPA and TDs. Its possible, if not likely, that INT% and YPC will get slightly worse, but mostly because he will be allowed to take a few more chances and defenses will have better gameplans against him. Overall, the efficiency of the offense will go up, especially since he'll be paired with the best SO running back besides Sproles and a very good JR in Silmon. Plus a pretty good group of playmakers at WR. IMO, next year's offense is going to be really good, at least top 30 and probably top 20.

To piggy back on this I've felt in addition to calling more plays, it's also just more grasp and command of the offense. This is season is perfect microcosm of this in that through the first 4 weeks the biggest knock we had was not just play calling, but straight up execution. Tons of false starts, delays of game, and a general lack of any offense flow. It just looked like a horribly misfiring engine. But of course as the season worse on, Ertz got more comfortable, and his ability to better command the offense improved drastically, and subsequently so did the offense. I also thought that therefore the 2nd year was basically the further extension of this. The battle no longer becomes can he get the play in time, but can he read the defense properly and make a change if he sees fit, and that's simply something that you can't simulate in practice no matter how hard you try. The expansion of the playbook and better play calling therefore is more having the command down, so the play calling improvement followed. A bit of can you even walk before I tell you to run.

To bolster this you saw this in 2011 with Klein, while we still took the clock down in 2012 plenty of times, in 2011 it was nerve wracking as hell as to whether or not we could even get the play off, and would it even be an effective play in work.

Side note for _FAN, I like that chart showing the improvement, and I am guessing you just factored the average improvement of Bishop, May, Roberson et al to apply to Ertz numbers, but I personally see his running stats go down, and at the rate of Klein's did in 2012. Not necessarily a nit pick, just it stands to reason that just like Klein Ertz's improvement in the passing game will lead him to need to run less, and the emergence of Barnes and Silmon will mean he'll need to carry the ball less anyways.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 07, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Ertz is a better runner than Klein. I'm not sure his stats will decline there because I think he'll have a lot more big runs and we won't rely on him in short yardage situations like we did Klein.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 07, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »

Well, maybe not triple, but we are an option team.

As for that stat, no, but here are a ton of advanced stats here:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-kansas-state-advanced-statistical-profile

And yes, we are a very effective and efficient running team with very few big plays, especially in the passing game.

And I'm personally very glad to be. In a conference where all teams are supremely challenged defensively, and where we as a team maybe don't lack the horses, being a ridiculously hard offense to stop, and a ponderous one at that is our greatest asset. Don't mind the theatrics of throwing in some big plays now and then, but the 4-6 YPP every play nickel-and-dime, dink-and-dunk, checkdown the field is one of our greatest assets in winning games.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/KStateFB/status/808083488289198080

Man if Kstate goes for it on 4th down against Ostate I bet we win that game....

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 12, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »

Same with TCU last year and probably a handful of other games in my 4 years at K-State

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 12, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »

Same with TCU last year and probably a handful of other games in my 4 years at K-State

Oh dammit you like the Dallas Cowboys... ugh!

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 12, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »

Oh dammit you like the Dallas Cowboys... ugh!

I hate it, too.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 12, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »
starsbravesksu kinda reminds people of stevedaveksu. you are off to a strong start dude.  :thumbs:

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 12, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
starsbravesksu kinda reminds people of stevedaveksu. you are off to a strong start dude.  :thumbs:

Just tryin to be like the best. 

Which reminds me, I've got a killer Husker vanity plate to take a pic of thanks to a Corny co-worker.  I'll try to get it today.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 12, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
since no one else wants these all run, no pass qbs, why can't we recruit enough of them to have one for every game instead of living in dread that the only good one in any given year will die before snyder has used up every last drop of him?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
since no one else wants these all run, no pass qbs, why can't we recruit enough of them to have one for every game instead of living in dread that the only good one in any given year will die before snyder has used up every last drop of him?

we try sys, but they keep transferring away
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 12, 2016, 11:11:58 PM »
well sonofabitch.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:39 PM »
HI EVERYBODY! :cool:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:49 PM »
Guys, he's a badass. And the future is bright.