Author Topic: what if jerry ertz is a complete badass??  (Read 148339 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: what if jimmy ertz is a complete badass??
« Reply #450 on: October 02, 2016, 04:32:37 PM »
I'm extremely confident he'll also get rattled at home against teams with a pulse as well.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2016, 04:47:54 PM »
TTU will obviously tell us all we need to know. If we don't win by at least 2 scores we're in trouble.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
I've been on the fence about Ertz since the beginning, but from my view the guy is just a bundle of nerves. It's pretty obvious he gets rattled on the road against teams with a pulse which contributes to the overthrows and procedural penalties. Of course our coaching staff doesn't help because it seems like they call the game without any regard to what is actually happening.

If I'm right, the good news is Ertz can eventually settle in and start playing on the level of Waters or Klein (minus the durability). He also may never settle down, in which case it will basically be 2015 all over again. In either case, I don't see him ever getting benched for Delton because I'm sure he'll always perform better in practice.

This is incredibly fair, or we can just continue to make sweeping and final judgments about the dudes career 6 halves in.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
In either case, I don't see him ever getting benched for Delton because I'm sure he'll always perform better in practice.

He'll also never get benched for Delton because that is what I want and K-State Football never gives me what I want.   :don'tcare:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
I mean, his performance at Stanford was arguably worse.

I guess you could argue that, but quarterback's can win completing 1/2 their passes. It's difficult, but doable. Completing 1/3 of your passes precludes winning from being a realistic outcome.
Yeah I guess he didn't make any failed attempted interceptions with his knee on the ground in the end zone this game which in a way could be considered progress.

#4: Improve...every day as a player, person, and student ("student" comes last)
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2016, 07:43:23 AM »
I couldn't believe the number of go routes the coaches wanted Ertz to throw. He made a few really bad, unacceptable decisions, but most QBs complete less than 50% of the passes he threw. A lot of that is probably on Ertz ignoring shorter routes.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
We saw the same thing from Hubes last year when Baylor and TCU blitzed - it looks like a scheme our QBs can't execute

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 03, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
I couldn't believe the number of go routes the coaches wanted Ertz to throw. He made a few really bad, unacceptable decisions, but most QBs complete less than 50% of the passes he threw. A lot of that is probably on Ertz ignoring shorter routes.

I honestly have been shocked (though maybe that's the wrong word) we keep going down the field as much as we do with him in the passing game. Isn't kinda the idea to give a new QB some easy, short, basically gimmie routes/throws to build his confidence up? We did like 0 of that against Stanford, and listening to Wyattvision while at the hotel in Berlin the last weekend it seemed like the same situation.

I know it was garbage time against FAU, but basically Hubes throws he had in that game are what we should be doing more often, short crosses, WR screens. Hubes make it look easy and other than the WR fumbling after getting a nice gain, it was working very well. W/e LFBIQ on my part.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
We saw the same thing from Hubes last year when Baylor and TCU blitzed - it looks like a scheme our QBs can't execute

Dimel has learned the process from Weber. 

1. Be arrogant that you know the Xs and Os better than anyone.
2. Set up a system that hypothetically works well with no deficiencies.
3. After a while, opposing coaches figure it out.
4. Opposing coaches start adjusting in ways that forces your system to react into low probability plays (like long fades).
5. Arrogantly say your scheme works, it attacks the weakness your opponents show (even if the opposition is purposely baiting you because the method of attacking is your biggest weakness too), blame it on the players for not executing your hypothetically correct system.

The beauty in it for Dimel is the Snyder system.  He only has to answer for it once a year in the offseason and Snyder has brainwashed a sect of his players to buy into the personal accountability mantra and only allows those players to speak so they'll fall on the sword.  A large sect of the fan base buys into it because Snyder veils it in "doing it the right way".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:12:03 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
More blame on Dimel please, keep forgetting about Miller.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »

Dimel has learned the process from Weber. 

1. Be arrogant that you know the Xs and Os better than anyone.
2. Set up a system that hypothetically works well with no deficiencies.
3. After a while, opposing coaches figure it out.
4. Opposing coaches start adjusting in ways that forces your system to react into low probability plays (like long fades).
5. Arrogantly say your scheme works, it attacks the weakness your opponents show (even if the opposition is purposely baiting you because the method of attacking is your biggest weakness too), blame it on the players for not executing your hypothetically correct system.

The beauty in it for Dimel is the Snyder system.  He only has to answer for it once a year in the offseason and Snyder has brainwashed a sect of his players to buy into the personal accountability mantra and only allows those players to speak so they'll fall on the sword.  A large sect of the fan base buys into it because Snyder veils it in "doing it the right way".

This is exactly what happened in the TCU game.

I will give Dimel some credit for developing a very sophisticated, very good, running scheme.  (Probably attributable mostly to Snyder, but I digress.)  And I agree that you have to adjust your play-calling to expose the weakness of a defense.  But, in some instances, you have to go with your strengths...even if the defense is set up to try to take that away.  Because the alternative is to allow your opponent to dictate the game to you.

It is a balance of playing to your strengths verses attacking the weakest part of the defense's alignment.  But I think Dimel has gone way too far in the "take what they give us" direction, essentially allowing other defenses to have us throw the ball all over the field with people like Hubener and Ertz.

I have no doubt that we win that game on Saturday if we try to pound the ball with our QB running game.  There is no way we score less than 17 points with those sorts of plays being called.  If we are scared Ertz can't handle that, then play Delton or Hubener.  With our defense, we could (still) win the league pounding the rock.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2016, 04:05:37 PM »
The thing is, the defense wasn't giving us the fly route down the sideline.

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
More blame on Dimel please, keep forgetting about Miller.

Jake Waters from Iowa
Jesse Ertz from Iowa

Del Miller from ?????   Iowa. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »

Top 5 OC Dana Dimel's system says that when the defense shows that alignment, the best option is the fly.  It doesn't matter if they're giving it to you or if you can execute it.  He's just following his super smart top 5 system.  He's done his job.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »
they were playing man on the wideouts every time they brought heat. and it was pretty easy to see when they were and were not coming. that's giving us the fly route down the sideline if you have a good qb.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »
Seems like they've been afraid of the QB run game since CK got sketti brained. 

Switching to a pass heavy offense worked for while with Waters while we had the best WR in school history, but hasn't worked since and they haven't adjusted.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 04, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
I think pretty much every qb ever will throw deep/has been taught to throw deep when there is no safety help over the top.  That's the correct throw, ertz just isn't good at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 04, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
It's not the correct throw if he can't execute it. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
maybe it's a glitch in my brain computer but I like it when our QB runs a lot and I don't like it when he doesn't. like designed runs a lot. not like he's running away from someone. except bishop, I liked it still when he ran away from someone.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »
This offense will never score enough to beat ttu. Or baylor/OSU for that matter.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
This offense will never score enough to beat ttu. Or baylor/OSU for that matter.
:frown:

i was so encouraged watching the spring game and now it's like we are right back to last years crap.
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 04, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
we are going to see a major stink bomb Saturday as Dimel tries to prove you all wrong.

My theory is Ertz hates throwing short/intermediate passes because those are the type that you are supposed to complete.  He knows that he will usually throw in incomplete so he winds up and whales it out of bounds down the sideline because hey, that's a tough pass to complete and at least it wasn't intercepted.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 04, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »
maybe it's a glitch in my brain computer but I like it when our QB runs a lot and I don't like it when he doesn't. like designed runs a lot. not like he's running away from someone. except bishop, I liked it still when he ran away from someone.

We have very similar likes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 04, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
The bar has been lowered, Bishop was benched during his second game, Jerry Ertz completes 1/3 of his passes in a time when 65% is the norm and he continues to play

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what if jimmy ertz is a complete badass??
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2016, 07:08:52 AM »
The bar is so pathetically lowered it's not even viewable.   

But that's what you get when you have small time Kansas, Iowa and KC kids on the QB depth chart.