Author Topic: Jeremy Claeys  (Read 14732 times)

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Claeys
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
'clams obtained a photo ID for his cat.

So is 'clams' cat a Republican or Democrat?

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »
I agree with you MIR.

Question: what do you have to show to register to vote?  I did it so long ago I don't remember.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Jeffy, MIR says he knows this will keep a number of American citizens from voting. That is asking too much. Very simple.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
Jeffy, MIR says he knows this will keep a number of American citizens from voting.

No, I think what MIR is saying is that this proposal is specifically designed to keep a number of [old/poor, Democratic-voting] Americans from voting, and that this guy should be more upfront about that.

I agree this is obviously designed to help Republicans, and the whole illegal voting bogeyman is simply a cynical tactic the GOP is using to get folks behind it.  On the other hand, asking politicians to be honest about their ulterior motives is asking too much.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
Question: what do you have to show to register to vote?  I did it so long ago I don't remember.

OK, I looked this up.  You have to register in advance so the state has time to verify you are a citizen.  You can register with a photo ID or a SSN.  Then the state checks and verifies you are alive/a citizen/not a felon.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »
I think its clear enough that the politician doesn't have to defend it. He is using fear of brown-skinned people to win office. It is in the open. Its the voting Jeffys and jtksus that need to understand the policy's constitutionality. Am I backwards here?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
Kobach should be included in this discussion.

Offline Three-putt

• HIQ Lurker
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

OK, I looked this up.  You have to register in advance so the state has time to verify you are a citizen.  You can register with a photo ID or a SSN.  Then the state checks and verifies you are alive/a citizen/not a felon.

So, if your identity has to be verified to register, why shouldn't you be required to verify that you are that same person that registered?

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »

So, if your identity has to be verified to register, why shouldn't you be required to verify that you are that same person that registered?

I think you currently do by matching your signature.  Often the election workers will also ask to see your registration card, although this is actually against the law.

This guy, I gather, wants to also require photo ID at the voting booth, even though the state may have already confirmed your registration with only a SSN.  MIR's point is that those who do not have photo IDs will be disenfranchised -- and that those who are disenfranchised will be mostly poor/old Democratic voters.  And I'm 99.9% sure this last bit is the reason the Republicans are pushing this idea.

Offline Three-putt

• HIQ Lurker
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
Yes, you give a signature when you vote.  I didn't know those were ever compared to anything. 

I do think you should have to verify your identity at the polls in some manner.  What's to stop me from going to your polling place and signing Ghost of Stan Parrish (or Jeffy or MIR, etc) and voting?

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »
Yes, you give a signature when you vote.  I didn't know those were ever compared to anything. 

I do think you should have to verify your identity at the polls in some manner.  What's to stop me from going to your polling place and signing Ghost of Stan Parrish (or Jeffy or MIR, etc) and voting?

All I would have to do to vote as someone else would be to glance down at the voter register as I'm waiting in line for the people in front of me.  Give them that name.  Sign that name.  Then I can vote under that name.  Now, I'd have to be careful not to pull Ethel or Jenny from the list, but as long as one of the people working at the voting table doesn't know that person, then I'm in the clear. (or go to a different precinct)

Then I can come in again later in the day, when the staffing has changed, and vote as myself, or someone else again.

With an expected turnout of 19% in the primary, it would be highly probable that I could grab a name that won't be used.  It would be slightly more difficult in a general election, but as long as I cast my fraudulent vote first, then I have no worries. 

If I wanted to crapshoot a little more, I could pay attention to the obituaries in the days leading up to the election.  A quick call the the county clerk to verify that "I" had registered would solve that problem.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
So any evidence this happens?

Thanks,  I'll listen off the air.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
I guess if you're able to see a name on the list while standing in line AND that person doesn't show up later OR the election worker doesn't know that person (might happen), then you've gotten away with your nefarious plan.  From what I understand, though, studies show that voting fraud is just not a real issue and the current system seems to work fine.  This proposal is all about partisanship (as was the Motor Voter bill by the Dems).

That being said, as an extra precaution, I could accept requiring a voter to show their registration card that had been mailed to them OR a photo ID.  That work for you MIR?  (I doubt it would satisfy the GOP.)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
What if the potential voter and likely goEMAW politics board mainstay is wearing his :opcat:  Does he have to take it off to be matched up to the photo ID?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
I think its clear enough that the politician doesn't have to defend it. He is using fear of brown-skinned people to win office. It is in the open. Its the voting Jeffys and jtksus that need to understand the policy's constitutionality. Am I backwards here?

So you think only brown-skinned people are too poor/ignorant to obtain a photo ID?  Incredibly racist statement.

Offline Three-putt

• HIQ Lurker
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »
I honestly have no idea how often voter fraud does or does not happen.  I do think it's kinda odd that you can walk up, state your name, sign something and vote.

But what else is the Secretary of State going to run on?  "Hi, I'm Three-Putt, as your Secretary of State I will work diligently to collect and process the annual filing fees for business entities in a timely and convenient manner."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
That's the perceived benefit from supporters of this policy...

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »
I honestly have no idea how often voter fraud does or does not happen.  I do think it's kinda odd that you can walk up, state your name, sign something and vote.

But what else is the Secretary of State going to run on?  "Hi, I'm Three-Putt, as your Secretary of State I will work diligently to collect and process the annual filing fees for business entities in a timely and convenient manner."

"I promise to have a cheery and easy to navigate website and I WILL SEND OUT A CERTIFICATE OF GOOD STANDING TO A PROPERLY LICENSED CORPORATION IN A TIMELY MANNER.  ON THIS YOU HAVE MY WORD!!!"

Seriously though, I don't think the voting procedure should be an absolute free-for-all.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
I really don't give a damn one way or another about this proposed policy.  All I care about is MIR trying to fool everyone into believing that it is incredibly hard (impossible for many!) to obtain proper ID.  It isn't. 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
It sounds like some form of mental illness or substance abuse is a major factor for not being able to get a state issued ID. Allowing these people to vote doesn't seem like it would be a priority over keeping non-citizens and dead people from voting. Not to mention one person voting 20 times.

So humoring old wives tales is the price of denigrating the Constitution that "patriots' care for so deeply, good to know?  So this is more important than potentially not allowing a tax paying US citizen the right to vote?  So why stop there?  I hear people vote based on what they hear on advertisements, so lets give a test based on candidates issues before you get a ballot, if you fail no vote.  I hear people like jtksu get to vote, so lets give an IQ test before putting a name on the voter registry, you fail, you don't vote.  I hear some people vote based on who someone told them to vote for so lets give a lie detector as well, you fail you don't vote.  I hear some people vote just so they can get a free cookie, lets take a finger prick and get their blood sugar levels, you need sugar, you will take your ass home without voting.

Why did this become a big issue after the '08 election?  Kinda weird.  It wasn't an issue in '00, '04, and '06 and anytime before when there were many places with voting irregularities.  What was so different about the '08 election that made this a conservative talking point?  Minorities finally turned out to the polls to match their turnout number to their population of the country and angry white people want to blame the election results on millions of illegal aliens voting and hundreds of thousands of dead people and alive cheating libs voting 6 dozen times.

I would respect the conservative that could just admit that this policy focus is insanely hypocritical.  The country was founded on voting rights and some want to rescind the rights of fellow Americans.  Ronnie is rolling over in his grave

How is requiring an already legally required form of ID rescinding someone's right to vote?  I think it's weird that we haven't already required ID to vote.  You can't do a ton of important things without an ID, so why should you be able to vote with one?  Seems like voting is pretty important...Is it racist to require ID to use a credit card, rent a video, cash a check, obtain a library card, etc?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
It sounds like some form of mental illness or substance abuse is a major factor for not being able to get a state issued ID. Allowing these people to vote doesn't seem like it would be a priority over keeping non-citizens and dead people from voting. Not to mention one person voting 20 times.

So humoring old wives tales is the price of denigrating the Constitution that "patriots' care for so deeply, good to know?  So this is more important than potentially not allowing a tax paying US citizen the right to vote?  So why stop there?  I hear people vote based on what they hear on advertisements, so lets give a test based on candidates issues before you get a ballot, if you fail no vote.  I hear people like jtksu get to vote, so lets give an IQ test before putting a name on the voter registry, you fail, you don't vote.  I hear some people vote based on who someone told them to vote for so lets give a lie detector as well, you fail you don't vote.  I hear some people vote just so they can get a free cookie, lets take a finger prick and get their blood sugar levels, you need sugar, you will take your ass home without voting.

Why did this become a big issue after the '08 election?  Kinda weird.  It wasn't an issue in '00, '04, and '06 and anytime before when there were many places with voting irregularities.  What was so different about the '08 election that made this a conservative talking point?  Minorities finally turned out to the polls to match their turnout number to their population of the country and angry white people want to blame the election results on millions of illegal aliens voting and hundreds of thousands of dead people and alive cheating libs voting 6 dozen times.

I would respect the conservative that could just admit that this policy focus is insanely hypocritical.  The country was founded on voting rights and some want to rescind the rights of fellow Americans.  Ronnie is rolling over in his grave

How is requiring an already legally required form of ID rescinding someone's right to vote?  I think it's weird that we haven't already required ID to vote.  You can't do a ton of important things without an ID, so why should you be able to vote with one?  Seems like voting is pretty important...Is it racist to require ID to use a credit card, rent a video, cash a check, obtain a library card, etc?

Are any of those fundamental rights of a citizen?  This isn't like getting on a plane.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »

Considering the small-mindedness that you claim I have, and I can think up numerous easy schemes to vote multiple times, do you think it is even remotely possible that a group of higher-thinking individuals could come up with something like that?

Just a quickie Google search showed evidence that things like this do happen in our area:  http://www.kmbc.com/politics/10214492/detail.html

The sanctity of the voting process needs to be protected, as it is what brings credence to our government and election system.  If you've ever screamed about voting problems in previous elections (Bush stole the election!), then showing an ID is a simple way to increase the validity of election proceedings.

As an aside, I'm thinking about going up to my local polling place and standing outside in fatigues, waving a knightstick.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »

Are any of those fundamental rights of a citizen?  This isn't like getting on a plane.

Just saying you need an ID to do pretty much anything of importance.  It is important to be able to prove you are who you say you are, I would assume this would carry over to something of such significance as voting...  Also, maybe the state could offer a reduced or free rate for IDs for people who are experiencing financial hardship?  Seems like that would help bring the 2 sides closer on this issue.  Maybe tie it into the UI system?  Gotta have an ID to obtain a job...

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »

Considering the small-mindedness that you claim I have, and I can think up numerous easy schemes to vote multiple times, do you think it is even remotely possible that a group of higher-thinking individuals could come up with something like that?

Just a quickie Google search showed evidence that things like this do happen in our area:  http://www.kmbc.com/politics/10214492/detail.html

The sanctity of the voting process needs to be protected, as it is what brings credence to our government and election system.  If you've ever screamed about voting problems in previous elections (Bush stole the election!), then showing an ID is a simple way to increase the validity of election proceedings.

As an aside, I'm thinking about going up to my local polling place and standing outside in fatigues, waving a knightstick.

Well I hope you have more success in intimidating voters than that other moron did.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
 :lol:  at people thinking there has been any reason to vote in the last 40 years.    :lol: