Author Topic: Yeah, I listened to a few minutes of Beck Today . . .  (Read 16713 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Yeah, I listened to a few minutes of Beck Today . . .
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
BP is an oil and gas company. I don't really think they are suited to solve natural disasters like this. Instead of working with BP, why doesn't the government work with a coastal engineering firm to solve the problem, and just send the bill to BP? Maybe it's because they want this disaster to get worse so they can blame Big Oil.

:confused:  why wouldn't they blame big oil?  it's their fault.

Yes, it is big oil's fault. Do you think that they are the most qualified people to be fixing this problem? Why not have someone else fix it, and just make BP pay for it? There will still be plenty of time for the government to get their shots in on big oil when we no longer have a well leaking millions of gallons of oil into the gulf of Mexico.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
free market

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
free market

:jerk: What is the point of having big government if we don't use it? At least with a smaller government, we would have this same spill, and I would have more money.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
BP is an oil and gas company. I don't really think they are suited to solve natural disasters like this. Instead of working with BP, why doesn't the government work with a coastal engineering firm to solve the problem, and just send the bill to BP? Maybe it's because they want this disaster to get worse so they can blame Big Oil.

Yes, it is big oil's fault. Do you think that they are the most qualified people to be fixing this problem? Why not have someone else fix it, and just make BP pay for it? There will still be plenty of time for the government to get their shots in on big oil when we no longer have a well leaking millions of gallons of oil into the gulf of Mexico.

why would the government be better at fixing the oil problem than the oil company. is there an oil problem fixing part of the government that i'm not aware of?

Online Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »

Yeah, that's what BP is already doing.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/25well.html
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »

why would the government be better at fixing the oil problem than the oil company. is there an oil problem fixing part of the government that i'm not aware of?

Maybe a coastal engineering firm (not government affiliated) would be better at fixing the problem? If you would learn to read better, this is what I suggested.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »
free market

:jerk: What is the point of having big government if we don't use it? At least with a smaller government, we would have this same spill, and I would have more money.

How much are you out so far?  

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
free market

About $10,000 last year. So not much, but it's just annoying to pay for a service and then not see it put to work when something like this happens.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
free market

About $10,000 last year. So not much, but it's just annoying to pay for a service and then not see it put to work when something like this happens.

Where'd the $10k come from? 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
free market

Just a rough estimate of what I paid in taxes last year, based off of how much is held out of my paycheck minus my tax return. Really, if you break up what I pay in taxes into the various government departments, the portion that goes into federal disaster mitigation is much less than $10k. So like I said, not much.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
free market

Just a rough estimate of what I paid in taxes last year, based off of how much is held out of my paycheck minus my tax return. Really, if you break up what I pay in taxes into the various government departments, the portion that goes into federal disaster mitigation is much less than $10k. So like I said, not much.

lol, ok

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »

Maybe the EPA? They have a budget of about $10,000,000,000 for this kind of stuff.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »
The issue isn't about being overtaxed. It's about the government not doing everything in its power to stop the spill. This is almost as bad as the way Bush handled Katrina. If this well leaks until December, it will be much worse than Katrina.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »

Maybe the EPA? They have a budget of about $10,000,000,000 for this kind of stuff.

We also have FEMA. Similar budget.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
We wanted oysters Saturday in OKC and couldn't get them, allegedly because of all this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
We wanted oysters Saturday in OKC and couldn't get them, allegedly because of all this.

Man, that's the kind of service you just don't get from the RCPD

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Allow me to go Socratic method on you guys:

In one case a natural disaster struck, and its impact was arguably made worse by the failure of a dike built by the U.S. government.  In the other case a private corporation with billions in profits had a major industrial accident.  Should the U.S. government be equally responsible for responding in both cases?  The U.S. government is trying to apply pressure on BP to fix the issue; who would it have pressured to fix Katrina's effects?

In one case people in a major city needed emergency relief and aid.  In the other case, a well one mile deep in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico needs to be sealed.  Is the U.S. government equally equipped to respond quickly in both cases?

I agree, if it leaks until December the results will be MUCH worse than Katrina.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »

Man, that's the kind of service you just don't get from the RCPD

This was at jazmo'z.  The PIA doesn't technically serve anything, but allegedly if you're friends with the guard, she can bring you stuff from the vending machines.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

In one case a natural disaster struck, and its impact was arguably made worse by the failure of a dike built by the U.S. government.  In the other case a private corporation with billions in profits had a major industrial accident.  Should the U.S. government be equally responsible for responding in both cases?  The U.S. government is trying to apply pressure on BP to fix the issue; who would it have pressured to fix Katrina's effects?

In one case people in a major city needed emergency relief and aid.  In the other case, a well one mile deep in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico needs to be sealed.  Is the U.S. government equally equipped to respond quickly in both cases?

I agree, if it leaks until December the results will be MUCH worse than Katrina.

I agree with everything you are saying. However, I think that since BP is footing the bill for the cleanup, allowing them to fix this problem themselves will cause (and has caused) them to try the cheapest alternatives first, rather than solutions with the highest probability of success. I think that the government should hire somebody else to do the cleanup, and then just have them send the bill to BP.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »

I'm very  :ohno:  that we might have to put up with crap like this for the next several years.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »

I agree with everything you are saying. However, I think that since BP is footing the bill for the cleanup, allowing them to fix this problem themselves will cause (and has caused) them to try the cheapest alternatives first, rather than solutions with the highest probability of success. I think that the government should hire somebody else to do the cleanup, and then just have them send the bill to BP.

Oh, WE are in total agreement, then.   :cheers:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »

Had some on the half shell at Jazz in KC this weekend.  They were delicious and nothing bad has happened to me so far.  :gocho:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
Obama doesn't care about federally controlled waters.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

So you're telling me an oil company doesn't know how to clean up an oil spill?  Damn, you right wing idiots are really something else.