Author Topic: Identity politics and hate mongering  (Read 2649 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Identity politics and hate mongering
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-hate-at-the-heart-of-identity-politics/21193#.WqP3ehlMFdY
Us conservatives are guilty of this too.  It's tough to dislike the beliefs of someone else, but not dislike them especially when they attack you through generalization.  I am guilty of this. Hope to do better.

Is hating someone to the point you want something bad to happen to them a good thing?  Is a country going to last if the goal is to destroy the person, the family of the person, or the career of a person you oppose?  I hope we can rise above the level of a mob of wild dogs that attack other non familiar dogs.  Russians are fanning the embers of hate, so are altright, progressives, and ....

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:24:21 PM by renocat »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Identity politics and hate mongering
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
is this a good thread to put the women's march stuff?  no one cared about it in the wrong with the country thread.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-hate-at-the-heart-of-identity-politics/21193#.WqP3ehlMFdY
Us conservatives are guilty of this too.  It's tough to dislike the beliefs of someone else, but not dislike them especially when they attack you through generalization.  I am guilty of this. Hope to do better.

Is hating someone to the point you want something bad to happen to them a good thing?  Is a country going to last if the goal is to destroy the person, the family of the person, or the career of a person you oppose?  I hope we can rise above the level of a mob of wild dogs that attack other non familiar dogs.  Russians are fanning the embers of hate, so are altright, progressives, and ....

After reading three/four of those blocks of the same crap; I just really don't give a eff about what some group/party thinks.  This gal I never heard of is a rough ridin' bigot whose parents or others she hung around with hated white people and engrained it into her head over her childhood.

End of story.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/nation-of-islam/555332/

there have been some good pieces written on this, some of which are quite forgiving of mallory and her board's position and statements.  but i don't see how this is sustainable for the women's march.  if their leadership is unable to articulate that farrakhan's rhetoric is anathema and try to explain why they failed to do so in a timely fashion, they forfeit any claim to moral authority.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
The media and progressives are having organisms over Stormy Daniel.  Why?  Hate.  Hate for Trump.  He honch on anyone (adult) he wants, and it would not be an impeachable offense.  No their hope is to hurt his family.  I think they want to tear his marriage apart.  Hurt his young son.  Big damn laugh!!
Sick.  This is why crap people are the only ones who run for office.   And all of the conservatives saying thats right on the spot, we have been guilty too, even me.  It's fun to be in a mob gang pile, but disastrous for our Country in the long run.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
The media and progressives are having organisms over Stormy Daniel.  Why?  Hate.  Hate for Trump.  He honch on anyone (adult) he wants, and it would not be an impeachable offense.  No their hope is to hurt his family.  I think they want to tear his marriage apart.  Hurt his young son.  Big damn laugh!!
Sick.  This is why crap people are the only ones who run for office.   And all of the conservatives saying thats right on the spot, we have been guilty too, even me.  It's fun to be in a mob gang pile, but disastrous for our Country in the long run.
Literally none of this is true and is 100% projection from your tribe's issues.  Further, he broke the law, and this is yet another crime that the right is giving him a pass for. 

And before you pull anymore bullshit about hating his "marriage" and wanting to hurt his relationship with his family.  Check out what your tribe said and did to the Obama family since Michelle dared to show her arms in public. 

Hypocrisy is fun.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Literally none of this is true and is 100% projection from your tribe's issues.  Further, he broke the law, and this is yet another crime that the right is giving him a pass for. 

And before you pull anymore bullshit about hating his "marriage" and wanting to hurt his relationship with his family.  Check out what your tribe said and did to the Obama family since Michelle dared to show her arms in public. 

Hypocrisy is fun.
You are absolutely right about conservatives and Obama.  Realizing you are a hypocrite is not fun.  We are becoming so much about gotcha politics that meaningful discourse and reasoned solutions to problems can't be derived.   I not sure how we got to this point.  My tribe has been shameful.  Trump sure ain't the hell helping.   And bloodthirsty liberal haters ain't helping especially militant factions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »

there have been some good pieces written on this, some of which are quite forgiving of mallory and her board's position and statements.  but i don't see how this is sustainable for the women's march.  if their leadership is unable to articulate that farrakhan's rhetoric is anathema and try to explain why they failed to do so in a timely fashion, they forfeit any claim to moral authority.
Very interesting read. 

I find it pretty hypocritical that the March tacitly supports the NOI despite their views (which are almost universally regarded as abhorrent), while the March also rejects women and groups who don't align with their views on other issues, like abortion. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »

Very interesting read. 

I find it pretty hypocritical that the March tacitly supports the NOI despite their views (which are almost universally regarded as abhorrent), while the March also rejects women and groups who don't align with their views on other issues, like abortion.

Not endorsing anything or saying Mallory is right, but there's this:

This is also where the resistance to condemning Farrakhan or the Nation can come from: a sense that despite the Nation’s many flaws, it is present for black people in America’s most deprived and segregated enclaves when the state itself is not present, to say nothing of those who demand its condemnation. 

While they may not find any positives from anti-abortion groups they reject. (I don't know anything about any specific groups they reject)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:15:25 AM »
But yeah based on that article it seems like Mallory is being loyal based on personal ties and should do what pretty much everyone in high level politics has done and denounce Farrakhan.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »
at least mallory has the excuse of having some personal history with the nation of islam.  the other woman, sarsour, doesn't have that excuse (that i know of) and she was every bit as oblivious.

i've been surprised that the issue hasn't received more coverage.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »
While they may not find any positives from anti-abortion groups they reject. (I don't know anything about any specific groups they reject)
Sure, but I find it highly unlikely that if some fiercely anti-abortion group offered some other benefit (like free pap smears or something) that they'd be welcomed with open arms.  I think it's hypocrisy.  Which is fine -- it's Mallory's group and she gets to decide who she wants and who she doesn't, but her selective way of determining whose views are overlooked undercuts her message of inclusiveness.

The fact of the matter is that she must know that the NOI stuff is a bad look for the March, but she views the NOI and Farrakhan as a net positive, despite being fiercely anti-semetic and homophobic.  I think that's a bizarre philosophical stance to take given the group she represents.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Dlew, did the march reject a group like you describe or are you calling them hypocrites based on a hypothetical?

@sys, I feel like this has been talked about quite a bit (I mean Jake Tapper is a pretty high profile media personality) but also I think most people don't realize the women's march is actually a real organization.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
I'm still not sure I believe that the Women's March is a real organization. When I google it though, the news feed is all about Farrakhan.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
@sys, I feel like this has been talked about quite a bit (I mean Jake Tapper is a pretty high profile media personality) but also I think most people don't realize the women's march is actually a real organization.

tapper tweeted about it, he didn't cover it on his show (afaik).  some jewish publications as well as the sort of comprehensive public policy publications/websites like the atlantic, nymag and the ilk have run pieces.  other than that it's mostly conservative media.  i haven't seen anything on mainstream tv, radio or in newspaper syndication.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
do what pretty much everyone in high level politics has done and denounce Farrakhan.

i don't know if you consider us congresspersons to be high-level, but several of the congressmen reported on have been pretty equivocal about backing away.  this guy has pretty much refused to do so.

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/tim-swarens/2018/03/13/swarens-andre-carson-wont-rule-out-future-meetings-louis-farrakhan/415971002/

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
do what pretty much everyone in high level politics has done and denounce Farrakhan.

i don't know if you consider us congresspersons to be high-level, but several of the congressmen reported on have been pretty equivocal about backing away.  this guy has pretty much refused to do so.

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/tim-swarens/2018/03/13/swarens-andre-carson-wont-rule-out-future-meetings-louis-farrakhan/415971002/

I mean I've never heard of him but I'd say he counts

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
i guess tapper did have a segment on his show.  there's also a fresh spate of articles that came out yesterday on the issue.

Tapper followed up his tweets with a news segment in which he and several panelists questioned why some on the left, including Women's March co-chairs Bob Bland, Linda Sarsour, and Carmen Perez, have declined to rebuke Farrakhan's statements.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/on-the-dangers-of-following-louis-farrakhan-w517836

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
I mean I've never heard of him but I'd say he counts

i wasn't entirely engaging in rhetorical flourish.  barring committee chairs and leadership, it's not entirely apparent to me that house members have any power whatsoever.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »
Dlew, did the march reject a group like you describe or are you calling them hypocrites based on a hypothetical?
I thought it was pretty clearly a hypothetical.  That said, a cursory check on google shows that the group Feminists for Life of America has worked to pass pro-women legislation (e.g. the Violence Against Women Act and the Child Support Enforcement Act). These are things I'm sure the March supports.  Whether or not you agree with their underlying position at all, pro life groups do accomplish some practically good things -- just like the NOI.  Yet the pro-life group was excluded.  Frankly, I don't have a problem with the group being excluded.  It's Mallory's march and she can include or exclude anyone for whatever reason she pleases as far as I care.  But her decision making process sure appears to be inconsistent/hypocritical, assuming she doesn't actually share Farrakhan's anti-semetic beliefs.

But even outside that particular example, I think it's a bad idea for the Mallory and the March, a champion of inclusiveness, to associate with a guy like Farrakhan.  I don't know how they can criticize Trump for his hateful views and embrace Farrakhan despite his hateful views. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:47:14 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
Like, NOI and Farrakhan get a free pass for hating jews because they provide community and neighborhood security to black people? 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 11:43:13 PM »

I thought it was pretty clearly a hypothetical.  That said, a cursory check on google shows that the group Feminists for Life of America has worked to pass pro-women legislation (e.g. the Violence Against Women Act and the Child Support Enforcement Act). These are things I'm sure the March supports.  Whether or not you agree with their underlying position at all, pro life groups do accomplish some practically good things -- just like the NOI.  Yet the pro-life group was excluded.  Frankly, I don't have a problem with the group being excluded.  It's Mallory's march and she can include or exclude anyone for whatever reason she pleases as far as I care.  But her decision making process sure appears to be inconsistent/hypocritical, assuming she doesn't actually share Farrakhan's anti-semetic beliefs.

But even outside that particular example, I think it's a bad idea for the Mallory and the March, a champion of inclusiveness, to associate with a guy like Farrakhan.  I don't know how they can criticize Trump for his hateful views and embrace Farrakhan despite his hateful views.

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples as I don't believe Farrakhan or the Nation of Islam are directly partnered with or "embraced" by the women's March as an organization. However, I agree that they should more forcibly condemn his remarks given the current situation.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »
Yeah that's fine.  I didn't love my comparison either, and I think we're basically splitting hairs.  We can all agree that it's pretty rough ridin' weird for the leader of the women's march to be a Farrakhan fan.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
she also got bumped off a plane so big shots can fly, proving once again how intersectional she is.