Author Topic: Mental Health  (Read 8839 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Mental Health
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22125232/washington-state-qb-tyler-hilinski-found-dead-apparent-suicide-police-say

This needs to start becoming more of a major movement worldwide. I'm sure many on here have dealt with some type of form of depression in the past, but there's all kinds of crap out there that drive people to feel inadequate. I had suicidal thoughts about 4 years ago when I was dealing with severe anxiety/depression after working for a corporate company that made me fear public speaking and made me feel very small with every interaction I had with executive management. 

There's all types of cases of what can make someone hate their life and/or themselves. In a generation of movements, I feel this one needs to be highlighted as well. Not everyone wants to get help. Sometimes getting the help you seek, is only a permanent band aid for some before they return to their dark place. Whether it's body dysmorphia (had this bad when I was in my early 20's), not being able to deal with a failed relationship, etc. You never know what someones going through. I hope we start taking this more seriously, soon...

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Health
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
Yea it's definitely not talked about enough.  Tim Ferriss had a good ted talk about his near suicide in college earlier this year.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Damn. Not the Snyder family too.  :frown:

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
Amen. I've overcome quite a few depression and anxiety issues. Its possible to overcome, and step one is not feeling guilty about it and knowing there are people who care and can help.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Sorry such a sad story/thread was what it took to bring out our guy Haverhill, but good to see you nonetheless :thumbs:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Since it's in the pit.... Should more government resources be spent on helping those with mental health problems?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
Yes. It's crazy expensive to get help. Even with insurance.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »
Lots of times companies offer at least some amount of assistance with counseling as a benefit.   I would bet that most people on this board have at one time suffered with depression but it's still got a big stigma especially with men so it just lives below the surface.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
Yes, very true.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
Yeah, I have struggled at times with it as well, it's not easy to talk about even if you know you should. I always find it's hard to even place where to begin, and how I have even gotten there. The thing that always struck me about when I really had it wasn't so much being sad, I don't think I was ever really sad, I just felt hollow, worthless, stuck, listless. It felt more like on the first blush I had no emotion anymore, and when I tried to dig deeper it was an ocean of turmoil.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 10:02:56 PM »
Man, the no emotion part is so true. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
Yeah, I have struggled at times with it as well, it's not easy to talk about even if you know you should. I always find it's hard to even place where to begin, and how I have even gotten there. The thing that always struck me about when I really had it wasn't so much being sad, I don't think I was ever really sad, I just felt hollow, worthless, stuck, listless. It felt more like on the first blush I had no emotion anymore, and when I tried to dig deeper it was an ocean of turmoil.

Holy crap, this is dead on.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »
I've been to many PAK's, road trips w/ gE'rs even, but I've declined on a few fattyfest events recently due to anxiety and PI'ing battles I've had. Not worth it at times.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »
I've been to many PAK's, road trips w/ gE'rs even, but I've declined on a few fattyfest events recently due to anxiety and PI'ing battles I've had. Not worth it at times.
I mean, maybe you expect those PI battles to turn in to fist fights, but it's way more likely they turn into laughs over a few beverages. 
:adios:

The Big Train

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 08:14:19 PM »
I mean, maybe you expect those PI battles to turn in to fist fights, but it's way more likely they turn into laughs over a few beverages.

I've found this to be the case.  I've had disagreements with people on here and when I see them at FF or whatever it's like, man I was just messing with you and it's all good.

The Big Train

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
I will also add that it's pretty obvious from #1Thread to other things that I have struggles.  Winter is the worst tho, man.

It's been almost 9 years now that I went through some stuff that even to this day is hard to even think about, let alone talk about.  I used to post a lot of stuff on Facebook very early in the morning that would probably trigger Facebooks prevention warnings things that they have tried to implement in recent years.  As soon as I woke up I would go back and delete it.  This was also when it was just younger people and older people/family weren't on Facebook or I probably would have had a lot more outreach than I did at the time.

It's not an easy thing for sure.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
Thanks for being open TBT. Hope you've found ways to deal with it. Also, 8man, very true. That's usually been the case.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
My eight year old suffers from depression and anxiety. As someone who has not dealt with depression it's incredibly tough to understand what she's feeling and how to deal when she's spiraling. Anyone who has ever railed against children on antidepressants has never had to deal with a depressed child. I'm thankful we have insurance because I'm not sure how my little girl would manage without counseling and medication. We're trying to build up some resilience for her so she can learn how to deal with what's a long, successful life.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about that MIR. As a youth who dealt with it, give as much support as you can, which I know you do. Only thing you can do for now.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Man, the no emotion part is so true. Thanks for sharing.

We should all be in this together.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
I’ve only gotten to read about half but a really good article and hopefully more like it will come out.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24382693/jackie-macmullan-kevin-love-paul-pierce-state-mental-health-nba
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
No matter who you are or what you do, we are all human.  Having gone through my own issues throughout my life, I can't stress enough how much more attention this needs.

https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/1119422243703074817

https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/1119439127810904066
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 04:09:27 PM »
Been a rough week for my fam. My moms boss committed suicide on Sunday and my mom walked into the scene. She's been very close with that family forever and had to be the one to tell them. My mom is also going through chemo, as they recently found her cancer was back over a few months ago and has felt like complete ass. Sucks!

Her boss has been in our lives for over 20 years. It's a small private practice. He was going through a lot, but I won't get into all of that stuff, but now my mom will probably have to seek employment while she goes through all of this as well. Just doesn't seem fair. Wish I could do more. Life, man. Anyways, friendly reminder to go see someone if things ever get dark.