Author Topic: Authorities "foil" another terrorist plot  (Read 1335 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Authorities "foil" another terrorist plot
« on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
I mean, the FBI basically set the whole thing up, but they did a wonderful job foiling it once the perp reconsidered.

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2017%2F12%2F22%2Fex-marine-cites-trumps-jerusalem-decision-planned-isis-attack-christmas-fbi%2F978164001%2F#pt0-217133

Jameson first attracted FBI attention after the agency received a tip that he'd been interacting with Facebook posts praising the Islamic State, including one showing an image of Santa Claus in New York and a box of dynamite with the words, "We meet at Christmas in New York...soon," a federal affidavit states.

An undercover FBI agent talked with Jameson over the Internet. They eventually met in person and talked about Jameson possibly traveling overseas to fight for ISIS or initiating an attack in the U.S., a criminal complaint states.

Court documents show Jameson told the undercover agent he was "well versed" in the Anarchist Cookbook, a book detailing the construction of explosives.
The agent told him "to go home and think about what he was saying," the documents say, but Jameson instead said he was ready and wanted to do something similar to recent attacks in New York and San Bernardino, Calif.

Jameson told the agent he wanted to place explosives on Pier 39 and use them to corral people toward a location where he could continue killing. He said Christmas at the tourist attraction "was the perfect day to commit the attack," according to the federal court documents.

He said he didn't need an escape plan because he "was ready to die," the affidavit states.
The agent asked, according to the complaint, whether he could help get any supplies for Jameson, to which he replied that he'd need a rifle, ammunition, chowder, tubing, nails and remote detonators.

Later that night, according to his arrest report, Jameson told the undercover agent he couldn't talk and "I also don't think I can do this after all. I've reconsidered."

Jameson was then arrested and the FBI got search warrants for his home.

Crazy Nut On Internet: I love ISIS!

FBI: Oh really? Planning anything?

CNOI: Totally. Gonna go fight for ISIS and kill people. Totally gonna do it.

FBI: Sounds great. What can I provide for you to turn this from an internet whackjob rant to something actionable? Can I help you plan anything?

CNOI: Totally, get me a bunch of guns and stuff. I'm totally gonna do this. Any day now.

FBI: Okey dokey.

CNOI: You know what, I don't want to do this anymore.

FBI: You're under arrest.

Media: Man, the FBI totally foiled that terrorist attack. Get some medals ready.

Authorities trot one of these "busts" out every few months.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Authorities "foil" another terrorist plot
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
I honestly don't want to gE or me too antagonistic, but what if this guy was able to succeeded and killed a bunch of people right after he FB'd a bunch of people what his sympathies are. Sure, there may be some convenient things in this one, and I'm sure there are plenty of plots that are foiled that aren't as stupid as this particular individual, but still.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
I don't blame the FBI for investigating crazies. I do blame them for entrapping crazies. And I especially blame them for claiming to have "foiled" something they largely concocted and encouraged. There are dozens of examples of this recently. The KC Star helpfully summarized a few right in our backyard - I bet you remember hearing about some of these....

FBI undercover stings foil terrorist plots — but often plots of the agency’s own making

Announcements of foiled terrorist plots make for lurid reading.

Schemes to carry out a Presidents Day jihadist attack on a train station in Kansas City. Bomb a Sept. 11 memorial event. Blow up a 1,000-pound bomb at Fort Riley. Detonate a weapon of mass destruction at a Wichita airport — the failed plans all show imagination.

But how much of it was real?

Often not much, according to a review of several recent terrorism cases investigated by the FBI in Kansas and Missouri. The most sensational plots invoking the name of the Islamic State or al-Qaida here were largely the invention of FBI agents carrying out elaborate sting operations on individuals identified through social media as being potentially dangerous.

In fact, in terrorism investigations in Wichita, at Fort Riley and last week in Kansas City, the alleged terrorists reportedly were unknowingly following the directions of undercover FBI agents who supplied fake bombs and came up with key elements of the plans.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »
Ol' Don Trump can't be duped by FBI stings.

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
LOL - KSUW doing his part to make it seem the FBI is incompetent.  You are a good Trump soldier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big Train

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
This is a win win for KSUW in his eyes. The FBI stops an “FBI planned” terrorist attack and they seem like they are just tricking crazy people and are just incompetent.

However if the FBI just leaves them alone and they do kill people he can blame it on Obama for allowing ISIS to exist. Then he can hammer more on being a anti-Muslim supreme leader soldier. It’s his dream case.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »
Good lord. Not everything has to be political. Occasionally you guys can just think objectively, right? I've been talking about this for years. For example, from over two years ago....

On a related point, I really don't like how the FBI and USAGs seem to spend so much time and money baiting people into attempting terrorism, and then they brag about how they foiled a terrorist attack - that they pretty much concocted by themselves. The recent Wichita airport case comes to mind. They really seem to be crossing the "entrapment" line - not that judges have ever given much credence to that - and I'm skeptical it's really increasing our security.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:33:38 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
It is a little weird kdub
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
I like entrapment.  This is the only stool we have to fight lone wolfers with.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
What branch of gov is the FBI?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
All you need to know Dugout is they get a w-2 in the mail at the end of the year if you know what I mean.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
All you need to know Dugout is they get a w-2 in the mail at the end of the year if you know what I mean.

Lazies

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
agree with ksu-dub on this. "terrorists", "drug dealers", "prostitutes", etc.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 05:00:19 AM »
I've always been on the fence with this "entrapment" thing but this statement "The agent told him "to go home and think about what he was saying," the documents say, but Jameson instead said he was ready and wanted to do something similar to recent attacks in New York and San Bernardino, Calif." seals it for me in this case.  Assuming the statement is true.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:05:23 AM by slackcat »

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 06:07:18 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/549164/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
Libs love hyper partisan FBI people: As long as they’re leaning left.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
ksuw I agree, we need more far more recognition for the rights for the accused.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »
whatever happened to that kid the fbi tried to get to bomb fort riley?