Author Topic: Would we call it torture if it was done to an American?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Would we call it torture if it was done to an American?
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
http://washingtonindependent.com/83458/gitmo-abuse-contaminated-governments-case-attorneys-say

"But in the hearing’s most dramatic moment, Flowers said at least one interrogator would testify to having personally taken part in Khadr’s abuse. As detailed in a motion filed by the defense in 2008, Khadr claims in his affidavit that his interrogators threatened him with rape, denied him medical treatment for gunshot and shrapnel wounds he suffered in his July 2002 capture in Afghanistan, and used him as a “human mop” to clean up his own excrement. The interrogator, referred to in the hearing only as “Interrogator #1,” will testify on behalf of the defense that he personally threatened Khadr “with rape” by threatening to render Khadr to an undisclosed Arab country where he would face the abuse.

Asked for clarification after the hearing why the interrogator would risk incriminating himself, Flowers’ co-counsel Barry Coburn replied, “I don’t know the answer to that.” He said he expected the interrogator to testify either late this week or early next week."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:17:43 PM by Mr. KK »

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Would we call it torture if it was done to an American?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
http://washingtonindependent.com/83458/gitmo-abuse-contaminated-governments-case-attorneys-say

"But in the hearing’s most dramatic moment, Flowers said at least one interrogator would testify to having personally taken part in Khadr’s abuse. As detailed in a motion filed by the defense in 2008, Khadr claims in his affidavit that his interrogators threatened him with rape, denied him medical treatment for gunshot and shrapnel wounds he suffered in his July 2002 capture in Afghanistan, and used him as a “human mop” to clean up his own excrement. The interrogator, referred to in the hearing only as “Interrogator #1,” will testify on behalf of the defense that he personally threatened Khadr “with rape” by threatening to render Khadr to an undisclosed Arab country where he would face the abuse.

Asked for clarification after the hearing why the interrogator would risk incriminating himself, Flowers’ co-counsel Barry Coburn replied, “I don’t know the answer to that.” He said he expected the interrogator to testify either late this week or early next week."

If this American was a member of a rogue radical religious sect that was waging war on an innocent nation and it's people simply because he had different religious beliefs, I would say it's OK.

If he was a uniformed military member of another nation's military that has declared war, I would say definitely not OK

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
 :surprised:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »

If this American was a member of a rogue radical religious sect that was waging war on an innocent nation and it's people simply because he had different religious beliefs, I would say it's OK.

If he was a uniformed military member of another nation's military that has declared war, I would say definitely not OK

Agreed.  I'd say in response to your first point, "tough hullabaloo."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »

Agreed.  I'd say in response to your first point, "tough hullabaloo."

Bravo - that's exactly what any good Christian should say.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »
The whole torture thing is about item number 1,000,041 of importance in this country right now.

People like the idea that somebody else is willing to do the dirty work to keep f*ckheads like this dirt bag and his crew from blowing us up (again).  Whether you agree with it or not, that's the fact of the matter.  General Publics point of view:  innocent American lives >>> low life criminal shitting himself.

But if it makes you feel good saying you think its wrong, have a gold star.   :thumbsup:  This is about as "special interest" as an issue is going to get.

I realize uber-libs need something to talk about when they're sipping latte at the coffee shop on Tuesday afternoon.  Just like "right-wingers" like to talk about guns and ammo at the bar on Saturday evening.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
The whole torture thing is about item number 1,000,041 of importance in this country right now.

People like the idea that somebody else is willing to do the dirty work to keep f*ckheads like this dirt bag and his crew from blowing us up (again).  Whether you agree with it or not, that's the fact of the matter.  General Publics point of view:  innocent American lives >>> low life criminal shitting himself.

But if it makes you feel good saying you think its wrong, have a gold star.   :thumbsup:  This is about as "special interest" as an issue is going to get.

I realize uber-libs need something to talk about when they're sipping latte at the coffee shop on Tuesday afternoon.  Just like "right-wingers" like to talk about guns and ammo at the bar on Saturday evening.

Just ignore the one-trick pirate pony.  We'd all be better off.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »

Just ignore the one-trick pirate pony.  We'd all be better off.

:garr:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »

Amen.  Give the government as much power as they need, let them do their "thing", and don't question them.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »

Amen.  Give the government as much power as they need, let them do their "thing", and don't question them.

Yeah.  At a certain point you have made enough money.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
A good old fashioned Drone Strike eliminates the need to torture.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »

Normally I'd agree, but this has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever so I don't care.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:34:14 AM »

Normally I'd agree, but this has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever so I don't care.

exactly.  Big government is especially OK (even encouraged) when it doesn't affect you directly (or it affects you in a positive manner).

Sugar Dick

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »

exactly.  Big government is especially OK (even encouraged) when it doesn't affect you directly (or it affects you in a positive manner).

Torturing terrorists isn't "big government".  When it's the lead story on MSNBC and ABC every night, it's also not "unchecked" power.

You're off track.  Leave these "mind trick" type posts to BMW.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
Torturing terrorists isn't "big government".  When it's the lead story on MSNBC and ABC every night, it's also not "unchecked" power.

Whatever - I just wish these libs would shut up so the government can expand their torture operations and truly protect us.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

Whatever - I just wish these libs would shut up so the government can expand their torture operations and truly protect us.

:eek:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »
Big Gubment can stay the HELL out!......unless we're talking the military to fight terrorism, or to take away abortion, or to stop those "faggies" from gettin' hitched!

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Sugar Dick

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
Love the false analogies  :love:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:48 PM »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »

Would you fight back if the US was invaded by Iraq or Afghanistan?

:confused:

Sugar Dick

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »

Would you fight back if the US was invaded by Iraq or Afghanistan?

Love the false analogies  :love:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
So you're saying you wouldn't fight back if the US was invaded by Iraq or Afghanistan?  Would you consider the people who fought back "terrorists?"

Sugar Dick

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
So you're saying you wouldn't fight back if the US was invaded by Iraq or Afghanistan?  Would you consider the people who fought back "terrorists?"

Did you just get home form happy hour or something?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »

omg.   :blank: