Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135799 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
you still haven't even provided a link to back up your claims.  like your cornell survey earlier, it's very likely you're misrepresenting heavily
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 07:55:53 PM »
you still haven't even provided a link to back up your claims.  like your cornell survey earlier, it's very likely you're misrepresenting heavily

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2015/09/19/letter-to-president-obama-investigate-deniers-under-rico/

happy skimming!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 07:57:23 PM »
dax what does climate change have to do with uber PC'sim?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »

Well, I mean, they're not getting prosecuted tho.

Why the concept of legal prosecution even enter into a scientific debate?

Face it lib, your stance was that nothing along the RICO lines even existed earlier, now you're just back tracking that it was "just 20" . . . how sad.

I'm not the same person you're arguing with

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »

It starts with the precept that publicly funded scientists seek to use political powers to prosecute so called dissenters.   It pretty much walks hand in hand with PC'ism in many ways.

But at this point, the rest of the conversation needs to be moved to the climate thread.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »

Well, I mean, they're not getting prosecuted tho.

Why the concept of legal prosecution even enter into a scientific debate?

Face it lib, your stance was that nothing along the RICO lines even existed earlier, now you're just back tracking that it was "just 20" . . . how sad.

I'm not the same person you're arguing with

That means nothing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »

It is all the same effort to suppress views you disagree with rather than engage in debate.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
would you debate those that deny 1+1=2?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »
 ;)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
would you debate those that deny 1+1=2?

In your example, which scientists are saying 1+1=2? The ones who can acknowledge that temperatures haven't increased in nearly 20 years despite dumping more and more man made CO2 into the air (such CO2 being a tiny fraction of a gas that is already a tiny fraction of our atmosphere), or is it the ones saying "it's either gotta be hiding in the oceans or we need to 'adjust' the temperature data"?

By the way, there's nothing "scientific" about relying on "consensus." That is antithetical to science.

But again, this effort to silence scientific debate is drawn from the same well as fascist efforts to silence "offensive" speech in the name of PC.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
ok just to be clear some people that think global warming exists also think speech should be allowed unfettered on campuses

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »
ok just to be clear some people that think global warming exists also think speech should be allowed unfettered on campuses

maybe even *gasp* the vast majority  :runaway:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »

maybe even *gasp* the vast majority  :runaway:

The vast majority of people think climate change exists, it's just that a large majority of those don't believe it's the problem that draconian climate warmest propagandists economy killers think it is.   Not hard.   

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »
Dax is bitching about someone exercising their right to free speech in a thread where he's complaining about the right to free speech being trampled.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
like, what in the rough ridin' world?!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »

The first amendment doesn't guarantee employment if you say something stupid and/or offensive. That said, everyone should have a right to say whatever they want wherever they want without fear of prosecution (which the first amendment protects).

And I know you didn't cite the first amendment.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
Dax is bitching about someone exercising their right to free speech in a thread where he's complaining about the right to free speech being trampled.

Your name messes up my browser . . . oh, and not really.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

Very well written article analyzing the ideology of those trying to quell speech on campuses.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-college-microaggression-20151112-story.html

In essence almost anything could be considered a microaggresion and it has and will heighten actual aggression.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
I am a pretty traditional liberal in that I value offensive, free speech above all else.  I never had a problem with Phelps, or the bible guys or the abortion sign people or whatever on K-State's campus.  There were a number of protests against the Iraq War that resulted in people screaming or flipping me off or whatever and I thought that was pretty great.  I don't think the public square should be a place of tip-toeing speech only, I favor expansive free speech rights.

I think K-State is largely insulated from a lot of this because it is a pretty conservative state school that welcomes everyone.  I am thankful that the conservatives that wish to squelch speech mostly find K-State not to their tastes and simply leave for an overtly Christian campus (as one parent seriously wrote in to the Manhattan Mercury this fall) and there are the occasional clowns like that op ed columnist that wrote about how hard it is to be a Christian conservative at Kansas State, but these people are ridiculed and mocked, not shouted off the stage.

I don't think that this "movement" is inevitable or that it will dictate the new orthodoxy on campuses for all time, but I do think it is a reflection in the changing norms on campuses where minorities are nosier about being actually considered as a part of campus life and not just an invisible group that keeps to themselves.  I think many of the older generations of academics are not prepared for a lot of this, are threatened by student voices and the power they wield in a time when many of the barriers to mass dissemination of information are removed.

It was only a few years ago that professors were gleefully emailing/facebooking the hero professor who smashed a student cell phone when it rang in their class.  How much has changed since then? 

I don't think professors being so tyrannical and treating students like they are garbage is all that great, so maybe things will balance out for the better? 

I see some work where undergraduate students on campus can be treated with dignity and given opportunities to participate in research and actually a get a foot in the door in the field of academia and I think that as undergraduates and graduate students gain more of a voice they will balance out some of the abuses that academia has traditionally wrought on students, while perhaps creating some new problems that hopefully will get changed for the better over time.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »
change is not inherently bad?  now i've heard everything.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
That's great Kat Kid, but you do realize that on other campuses something like this is considered a microagression.

Budget Cuts:

Someone says, "I think the Japanese program should get a 10% cut in their budget, because the enrollment of students in that program has dropped 4%".   Someone will construe that has a microagression against Japanese and Asians.   Too many examples to say that isn't a plausible scenario.   How can you even function in society when some consider innocuous speech aggression.    There's literally protests over the capitalization of Indigenous . . . absurd.

I got a laugh out of your conservatives that want to squelch free speech . . . Is that tongue in cheek joke?   I mean Seinfeld actually joked that he won't play college campuses . . . too conservative.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2015, 07:25:37 PM »
I got a laugh out of your conservatives that want to squelch free speech . . . Is that tongue in cheek joke?   I mean Seinfeld actually joked that he won't play college campuses . . . too conservative.

good grief dax