Author Topic: Should the public pay for sexual organ realignment?  (Read 6061 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Should the public pay for sexual organ realignment?
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
Inmates should receive the same care all us citizens should receive.

I agree 100%

That being said the state shouldn't be paying for that surgery
I agree with both of those statements. I don't know, and am open to hearing, which if any insurance companies cover this type of surgery.

Yes most, likely all, insurance companies offer coverage for gender reassignment surgery and subsequent hormone treatments in addition to pre-surgical and post-op psychiatric services.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »

I agree 100%

I agree with both of those statements. I don't know, and am open to hearing, which if any insurance companies cover this type of surgery.

Yes most, likely all, insurance companies offer coverage for gender reassignment surgery and subsequent hormone treatments in addition to pre-surgical and post-op psychiatric services.
So maybe I have to rethink my position on that. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 11:10:53 PM »

I agree 100%

Why? What does insurance coverage have to do with anything? Prisoners aren't paying insurance premiums, that's why we're discussing taxpayers covering this surgery. There are a lot of things that insurance will cover that I'm not sure people would be comfortable with prisoners getting.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:47 AM »

I agree 100%

quick google search:

Requirements for genital reconstructive surgery (i.e., vaginectomy, urethroplasty, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, scrotoplasty, and placement of a testicular prosthesis and erectile prosthesis in female to male; penectomy, vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, and clitoroplasty in male to female)

Two referral letters from qualified mental health professionals, one in a purely evaluative role (see appendix); and
    Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria (see Appendix); and
    Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment; and
    Age of majority (age 18 years and older); and
    If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be reasonably well controlled; and
    Twelve months of continuous hormone therapy as appropriate to the member’s gender goals (unless the member has a medical contraindication or is otherwise unable or unwilling to take hormones); and
    Twelve months of living in a gender role that is congruent with their gender identity (real life experience).

Plenty more interesting information:
http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/600_699/0615.html

There's also this:

Regulators in nine states and the District of Columbia have also introduced laws banning insurance discrimination against treatments for gender reassignment. The other eight are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, according to the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund. “But some insurers still deny claims and flout the law until someone pushes back against them,” says Michael Silverman, executive director at Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund. Last December, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told insurers in a letter: “An issuer may not deny medically necessary treatment otherwise covered by a health insurance policy solely on the basis that the treatment is for gender dysphoria.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obamacare-states-and-insurers-make-gender-reassignment-surgery-more-accessible-2015-06-02

^really surprised info in this article wasn't a big conservative anti-obamacare talking point

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »

I agree 100%

Why? What does insurance coverage have to do with anything? Prisoners aren't paying insurance premiums, that's why we're discussing taxpayers covering this surgery. There are a lot of things that insurance will cover that I'm not sure people would be comfortable with prisoners getting.
I am trying to be thoughtful about access to appropriate health care for all citizens, including inmates. I believe everyone is entitled to basic health care, so that is where the insurance question came into play for me. The real question for me is the mental health angle. If this is a question of mental health then I believe access to this kind of treatment might be necessary. I still hvae not changed my mind, just want to be open to all facets of the discussion.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »

I agree 100%

quick google search:

Requirements for genital reconstructive surgery (i.e., vaginectomy, urethroplasty, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, scrotoplasty, and placement of a testicular prosthesis and erectile prosthesis in female to male; penectomy, vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, and clitoroplasty in male to female)

Two referral letters from qualified mental health professionals, one in a purely evaluative role (see appendix); and
    Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria (see Appendix); and
    Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment; and
    Age of majority (age 18 years and older); and
    If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be reasonably well controlled; and
    Twelve months of continuous hormone therapy as appropriate to the member’s gender goals (unless the member has a medical contraindication or is otherwise unable or unwilling to take hormones); and
    Twelve months of living in a gender role that is congruent with their gender identity (real life experience).

Plenty more interesting information:

There's also this:

Regulators in nine states and the District of Columbia have also introduced laws banning insurance discrimination against treatments for gender reassignment. The other eight are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, according to the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund. “But some insurers still deny claims and flout the law until someone pushes back against them,” says Michael Silverman, executive director at Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund. Last December, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told insurers in a letter: “An issuer may not deny medically necessary treatment otherwise covered by a health insurance policy solely on the basis that the treatment is for gender dysphoria.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obamacare-states-and-insurers-make-gender-reassignment-surgery-more-accessible-2015-06-02

^really surprised info in this article wasn't a big conservative anti-obamacare talking point

Remember, "we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it".

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2015, 08:54:02 AM »
Is realignment really the correct term? Because, to me, that just sounds like it is a bit crooked and needs to be straightened out (realigned).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Is realignment really the correct term?

No

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »
Is realignment really the correct term? Because, to me, that just sounds like it is a bit crooked and needs to be straightened out (realigned).

It's reassignment.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »

Ow
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Actually the term realignment has been used in some articles I found online.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 05:56:05 AM »
This is like someone who wants deviated septum surgery

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-votes-down-proposal-to-ban-dod-payments-for-gender-transition-surgeries/
If someone chooses this life path, I come to the conclusion let them go on their journey.  But by danglies, I don't have to help pay for it.  Free obamaphone maybe, but ,,xxxm.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-votes-down-proposal-to-ban-dod-payments-for-gender-transition-surgeries/
If someone chooses this life path, I come to the conclusion let them go on their journey.  But by danglies, I don't have to help pay for it.  Free obamaphone maybe, but ,,xxxm.

Now that's mumped up.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
Pretty sure the 8th amendment prohibits the prison system from castrating inmates. I'd be open to a constitutional exception, however, for publicly funded castrations of child molestors
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2017, 07:43:15 AM »
Gov should only pay to turn outies into innies to keep that birthrate up

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2017, 08:02:02 AM »
I don't know if it works that way.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 08:06:27 AM »

Now that's mumped up.

Yeah. These republicans can't get anything passed.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
I am happy Trump is banning transgentials from military service and paying for realignment surgery.  Man/woman are transwers HACK OFF, literally in some cases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
Question: Do private insurance policies pay for gender confirmation surgery (or whatever the PC term is nowadays)?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »
Question: Do private insurance policies pay for gender confirmation surgery (or whatever the PC term is nowadays)?

Here's a pretty good guide from Aetna:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
So why should we expect those serving in the military to get fewer medical services / less insurance coverage than the average citizen?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
Answer to OP, no. It's no different than a face lift.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »
the only answer to all problems is total all gender integration of the military like starship troopers

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
the only answer to all problems is total all gender integration of the military like starship troopers

:thumbsup:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite