Author Topic: Should the public pay for sexual organ realignment?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Should the public pay for sexual organ realignment?
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
California has agreed to pay for a $25,000 operation to change a guy to a gal.  He is in prison for life without parole for murder. Rodneyshiloh is suffering mental anguish as a man and as such prison is inhumane.  Sheesh!!   Medicaid is next.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Should the public pay for sexual organ realignment?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
that seems unbelievably cheap for an operation like that. I'd be more concerned about the quality of the surgeon at those cut rates.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
I don't care either way
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
trust california to give a murderer a rapist's sentence, amirite, renocat?  imrite.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
that seems unbelievably cheap for an operation like that. I'd be more concerned about the quality of the surgeon at those cut rates.

Could probably get even better rates if they drove him down to Tijuana.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
I am trying to equate this to a different required surgery, but I can't. Any help?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
I am trying to equate this to a different required surgery, but I can't. Any help?

Gonna win 'em all!

Yeah, my first thought is well if you are in prison then you shouldn't be able to get whatever you want, because that is the whole point of prison is that your life is restricted.....but I guess I need a "similar to" type of situation to compare this to.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:49:25 PM by Mrs. Gooch »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Yeah, my first thought is well if you are in prison then you shouldn't be able to get whatever you want, because that is the whole point of prison is that your life is restricted.....but I guess I need a "similar to" type of situation to compare this to.

My first thought is (perhaps insensitively) "how much would it cost to do nothing?"

I mean I suppose possible that this person could be a victim of more abuse, require certain medication and therapy, try to take his/her own life, etc., which could end up costing the state more than $25k.

You also have to ask, where do you draw the line? Let's say a prisoner breaks a finger and it costs $2k for x-rays and treatment. Should the state pay for it? why or why not? They don't necessarily NEED to use that finger, why should the state pay to fix it? Should the state pay for any prisoner care other than life-threatening ailments?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:31:53 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

My first thought is (perhaps insensitively) "how much would it cost to do nothing?"

I mean I suppose possible that this person could be a victim of more abuse, require certain medication and therapy, try to take his/her own life, etc., which could end up costing the state more than $25k.

You also have to ask, where do you draw the line? Let's say a prisoner breaks a finger and it costs $2k for x-rays and treatment. Should the state pay for it? why or why not? They don't necessarily NEED to use that finger, why should the state pay to fix it? Should the state pay for any prisoner care other than life-threatening ailments?

If the state chooses to perform the surgery, doesn't it then have to pay for ongoing hormone treatments? Is there any data to support a lower risk of suicide with post-op trans people compared to pre-op?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
We should leave the decision up to the murder victim's family.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
We should leave the decision up to the murder victim's family.

I don't think they'd be able to view the situation rationally.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

If the state chooses to perform the surgery, doesn't it then have to pay for ongoing hormone treatments? Is there any data to support a lower risk of suicide with post-op trans people compared to pre-op?

I don't know the answers to either of those questions, but I'm guessing there would be some level of ongoing hormone treatments either way. Just another side to consider.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
all prisoners should receive a medical fund when they enter prison that they can use for whatever medical care they need, including elective surgeries.  they can receive 10% of the unused total on release.  if they die in prison, they can bequeath it to an heir.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
all prisoners should receive a medical fund when they enter prison that they can use for whatever medical care they need, including elective surgeries.  they can receive 10% of the unused total on release.  if they die in prison, they can bequeath it to an heir.

what if the state is responsible for health problems that go beyond their fund?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
if they die, they die (but other inmates could donate to their care from their funds)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Well I would say the state has some sort of responsibility to keep the prisoner safe.....so if they are injured while in the prison (and not their own fault) then the state should pay for the recovery costs. But then do you have to have a trial to see if it was their fault or not? IDK. But I don't see the gender reassignment surgery as the state's responsibility because they didn't cause the prisoner to be the wrong gender.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

So we are paying people (in medical care) for getting a prison sentence? Is the amount based on how long you are serving? So if you commit murder you get a bigger medical fund than someone on drug charges (presumably).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Well I would say the state has some sort of responsibility to keep the prisoner safe.....so if they are injured while in the prison (and not their own fault) then the state should pay for the recovery costs. But then do you have to have a trial to see if it was their fault or not? IDK. But I don't see the gender reassignment surgery as the state's responsibility because they didn't cause the prisoner to be the wrong gender.

what if a prisoner trips and falls through no one's fault and breaks their arm? A prisoner should just have to suck suck it up?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

what if a prisoner trips and falls through no one's fault and breaks their arm? A prisoner should just have to suck suck it up?

Maybe they could ask their family to pay for it?

But also if it is no one's fault then that is not the prisoner's fault so they get care....BUT if the prisoner starts a fight and in the process gets shanked then he has to live (or not) with it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »
They should have a prison work program for people interested in medicine and those other inmates should set the broken bone free of charge.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Sounds ridiculous.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
LOL at prisoners getting elective surgery paid for with tax money.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
They should have a prison work program for people interested in medicine and those other inmates should set the broken bone free of charge.

If there are doctors in the prison they should just let them do the medical work...even if their license has been revoked due to whatever got them into prison....and maybe there should be a prison exchange program where they move the doctor prisoners to wherever they are needed....I wonder if that would be more expensive than providing traditional care.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
I mean it's just a broken bone. It's kind of hard to mess that one up. Just have some prisoners line the bones up so there isn't a big lump sticking out and wrap a cast around it.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Bones ok.  Reverse boner,no.