Author Topic: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam  (Read 39469 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #1000 on: October 03, 2017, 05:19:25 AM »
I just didn't know if I said something like, "I find that there are women in the middle east who are quite beautiful but I don't think I would pursue them (ie I dont find myself attracted to them)." - is that a racist thought or a normal thing that people could say that we would all understand?

As long as you don't express racial superiority, jmho.

1. No one said a thing about "pursuit." I'm quite sure you don't pursue every white girl you find attractive.   YD said "pursue", whatever that means
2. If you find someone attractive but their race stops you from wanting to do whatever with her, that's absolutely an expression of racial superiority. You're saying her race doesn't reach your standard of acceptability.

See where your coming from.  It appears to me the ever changing definition of racism (or race) seems to perpetuate this discussion/argument to no end.  Does one physical attribute define one's race?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:56:57 AM by slackcat »

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 03, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
1. No one said a thing about "pursuit." I'm quite sure you don't pursue every white girl you find attractive.
   :fatty:

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 03, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
I've only seen racists being called racist in the last few pages ITT.

Here is the ultimate mind bender: we are all racist. In some form or another we make judgements against individuals based on the stereotypes we believe in due to media, what we have been told, or what we have experienced in regards to race.

I think the politically correct way to say it is "we all have racial bias" which is the nice way of saying we are all racist but we are not all necessarily crap people.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »
I think you're confusing prejudice with racism. We all prejudge things based on prior experiences and biases, but we don't have to allow prejudice (especially based on racial stereotypes) to affect how we act towards others. Racism is where you hold those prejudices out as truth and choose to act on them rather than what you perceive/learn about an individual.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #1004 on: October 03, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
So prejudice: that black guy in the hoodie looks suspicious to me, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he's actually up to something.

Racism: "hi, police? There is a suspicious black man near the grocery store who is up to something."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:40:58 AM by catastrophe »

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
So prejudice: that black guy in the hoodie looks suspicious to me, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he's actually up to something.

Racism: "hi, police? There is a suspicious black man near the grocery store who is up to something."

So I'll restate my position with these facts. We are all prejudiced against one or many people. These prejudices will often change as we interact with these different groups. Certain instances and interactions only reinforce stereotypes making the prejudices lean towards racism.

The true difference I am finding in research is that a labeled racist perceives that their race is superior. Id be intrigued going forward trying to define instances as whether they occurred due to prejudice or due to racism.

Offline The Big Train

• World Series & FattyFest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • i wrote stuxnet
    • View Profile
Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #1006 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
Speak for yourself YD
KU football is a sleeping giant and always has been - beems

If LHC Bill Snyder had been hired at KU years ago, we'd have a national championship in football and a couple more BCS bowls. - beems

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 03, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »

Here is the ultimate mind bender: we are all racist. In some form or another we make judgements against individuals based on the stereotypes we believe in due to media, what we have been told, or what we have experienced in regards to race.

No we aren't, no we don't.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 03, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
Here's some data to back up YD's theory...

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
Speak for yourself YD

I am. I definitely include myself in that list. Since I am aware of it I will be able to make better decisions that don't base themselves around those judgements. People who openly deny that they have any prejudice are destined to make decisions that go along with their prejudice because they are ignoring its existence.

Here's some data to back up YD's theory...

That's pretty spot on. I am actually going to see this musical when I am in NYC this weekend for a work conference.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 04, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
AVE Q is on my list of musicals I want to see. Kinda far down, but firmly on the list.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
AVE Q is on my list of musicals I want to see. Kinda far down, but firmly on the list.

I had a buddy in college who liked to listen to show tunes and Avenue Q was one of the shows he played the most often. We got really good seats through groupon for like $40 a ticket.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 06, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »

1. No one said a thing about "pursuit." I'm quite sure you don't pursue every white girl you find attractive.

Where did I say I pursue White girls??

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 06, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

No we aren't, no we don't.

To the libtard HOF! :cheese:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline libliblibliblibliblib

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 06, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
it's not kdub's fault he's racist, it's the media's fault

:lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

I think.you.are deep down.a.trans cowboy gravy eater.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
TBH, I'm no more racist than most people, and probable less than many. I just go about my life, being friendly and respectful (or being a jerk) to people regardless of their skin pigmentation. I work with people of many different races and consider many of them friends. I'm hardly "color blind" but I don't treat people differently based upon race. I just don't obsess over the topic or really care, but maybe that's easy for me to do because of my white privilege.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 01, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
congrats, k-s-u-w and fox news. you guys deserve this