Author Topic: Syria getting syrious  (Read 13482 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/05/15706380-syria-loads-chemical-weapons-into-bombs-military-awaits-assads-order?lite

The Syrian military is prepared to use chemical weapons against its own people and is awaiting final orders from President Bashar Assad, U.S. officials told NBC News on Wednesday.
Andrea Mitchell, Robert Windrem, Courtney Kube and Catherine Chomiak of NBC News contributed to this report. Follow M. Alex Johnson on Twitter and Facebook.
The military has loaded the precursor chemicals for sarin, a deadly nerve gas, into aerial bombs that could be dropped onto the Syrian people from dozens of fighter-bombers, the officials said.

As recently as Tuesday, officials had said there was as yet no evidence that the process of mixing the "precursor" chemicals had begun. But Wednesday, they said their worst fears had been confirmed: The nerve agents were locked and loaded inside the bombs.
Sarin is an extraordinarily lethal agent. Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's forces killed 5,000 Kurds with a single sarin attack on Halabja in 1988.
U.S. officials stressed that as of now, the sarin bombs hadn't been loaded onto planes and that Assad hadn't issued a final order to use them. But if he does, one of the officials said, "there's little the outside world can do to stop it."
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton reiterated U.S. warnings to Assad not to use chemical weapons, saying he would be crossing "a red line" if he did so.
Speaking Wednesday at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Clinton said the Syrian government was on the brink of collapse, raising the prospect that "an increasingly desperate Assad regime" might turn to chemical weapons or that the banned weapons could fall into other hands.

Kevin Lamarque / AFP - Getty Images
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking Wednesday at NATO headquarters in Brussels, said the fall of Syrian President Bashar Assad's government was "inevitable."

"Ultimately, what we should be thinking about is a political transition in Syria and one that should start as soon as possible," Clinton said. "We believe their fall is inevitable. It is just a question of how many people have to die before that occurs."
Aides told NBC News that Clinton was expected next week to officially recognize the main opposition movement, the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, with which she is scheduled to meet in Morocco. Britain, France, Turkey and some key Arab leaders have already recognized the opposition.
Fighting intensified Wednesday in the 21-month civil war, which has left 40,000 people dead. The U.N. withdrew its personnel from Damascus, saying conditions were too dangerous.
The government said this week that it wouldn't use chemical weapons on its own people after President Barack Obama warned that doing so would be "totally unacceptable."

But U.S. officials said this week that the government had ordered its Chemical Weapons Corps to "be prepared," which Washington interpreted as a directive to begin bringing together the components needed to weaponize Syria's chemical stockpiles.
That process would involve mixing "precursor" chemicals for the deadly nerve gas sarin, which could be used in artillery shells, U.S. officials told NBC News, stressing that there was no evidence that process had as yet begun.
Watch World News videos on NBCNews.com
 U.S. officials had long believed that the Syrian government was stockpiling the banned chemical weapons before it acknowledged possessing them this summer.
NBC News reported in July that U.S. intelligence agencies believed that in addition to sarin, Syria had access to tabun, a chemical nerve agent, as well as traditional chemical weapons like mustard gas and hydrogen cyanide.
Officials told NBC News at the time that the Syrian government was moving the outlawed weapons around the country, leaving foreign intelligence agencies unsure where they might end up.
Syria is one of only seven nations that hasn't ratified the 1992 Chemical Weapons Convention, the arms control agreement that outlaws the production, stockpiling and use of such weapons.
Bombshells filled with chemicals can be carried by Syrian Air Force fighter-bombers, in particular Sukhoi-22/20, MiG-23 and Sukhoi-24 aircraft. In addition, some reports indicate that unguided short-range Frog-7 artillery rockets may be capable of carrying chemical payloads.
In terms of longer-range delivery systems, Syria has a few dozen SS-21 ballistic missiles with a maximum range of 72 miles; 200 Scud-Bs, with a maximum range of 180 miles; and 60 to 120 Scud-Cs, with a maximum range of 300 miles, all of which are mobile and are capable of carrying chemical weapons, according U.S. intelligence officials.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
dicks.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Syria getting syrious
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
That guy needs death by drone strike

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Fire up the war machine baby the Axis of Evil is back
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Didn't read the post, but great thread title

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
I like how we draw the line at killing your own citizens efficiently.

Hey, hey, Syria! You do that crap one at a time or you don't do it AT ALL!

:sidewinders:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

40000 is kind of alot.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »

We're sending in Steve Dave's dojo... :runaway:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »

We're sending in Steve Dave's dojo... :runaway:
Yep, SD is a 1 on 1 kind of guy and the Sidewinders are well versed in keeping a line of combatants in orderly single file

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
I thought Obama told them not to do this. :lol:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »
Welp, looks like we don't need to worry about what we should do against Syria.  Israel just threw their hat in the invaders ring.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/05/world/meast/syria-violence/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
I think the last country I would ever want to eff with would be Israel. I mean they're like a family of zebras that pitched their tent in a lion's den and wake up every day like "rough ridin' BRING IT"
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
I think the last country I would ever want to eff with would be Israel. I mean they're like a family of zebras that pitched their tent in a lion's den and wake up every day like "rough ridin' BRING IT"

If it wasn't for overwhelming US support, Israel would be quite weak

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »

Meh, we haven't always given them overwhelming support, they did just fine defending themselves in the 50's and 60's. We really didn't become their sugar daddy until the 70's and that was gain more influence with them and stop the constant wars between them and the arab's, also gave egypt a ton of money too.

*Just IMO, no research done to back any of this up

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »

Meh, we haven't always given them overwhelming support, they did just fine defending themselves in the 50's and 60's. We really didn't become their sugar daddy until the 70's and that was gain more influence with them and stop the constant wars between them and the arab's, also gave egypt a ton of money too.

I bet they weren't fighting in their own tanks back then. They definitely supply their own martial mentality though. I read a story about a Lithuanian born Jew who killed nazis during the war and continued to try to poison them after the war. He said people in Israel still talk about the holocaust every single day.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

Early on they didn't have as much US support and were still strong.  In the Six Day War they kicked some major Egyptian, Jordanian and Syrian ass in less than a week all on their own.  A major reason that war was so lopsided is because Israeli airstrikes ambushed and crippled the entire Egyptian Air Force and the majority of their defensive infrastructure, such as SAMs and radars, at the very beginning.  Israel's enemies also had very poor military leadership.  But if the US stopped all financial, military and political support of Israel today there would not be an Israel 10 years from now.  US backing is pretty much all that's keeping enemy nations from attacking.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:12:08 AM »
Israel is nuclear right?

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Syria getting syrious
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:30 AM »
Israel is nuclear right?

Yep
NO!*

*okay they are, but not officially

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »

Early on they didn't have as much US support and were still strong.  In the Six Day War they kicked some major Egyptian, Jordanian and Syrian ass in less than a week all on their own.  A major reason that war was so lopsided is because Israeli airstrikes ambushed and crippled the entire Egyptian Air Force and the majority of their defensive infrastructure, such as SAMs and radars, at the very beginning.  Israel's enemies also had very poor military leadership.  But if the US stopped all financial, military and political support of Israel today there would not be an Israel 10 years from now.  US backing is pretty much all that's keeping enemy nations from attacking.

All I'm saying is they survived the first 20 years without overwhelming US help, if we decided to stop all support of Isreal they would still exist in 10 years and in the future. Despite their size they have the most developed economy and military in the middle east, not to mention nuclear weapons that they would not hesitate to use if they felt their country was on the verge of being wiped out.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »

All I'm saying is they survived the first 20 years without overwhelming US help, if we decided to stop all support of Isreal they would still exist in 10 years and in the future. Despite their size they have the most developed economy and military in the middle east, not to mention nuclear weapons that they would not hesitate to use if they felt their country was on the verge of being wiped out.
Ummm first 20 years?  '48 Arab-Israeli War.
But I agree with the rest.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
We (the US) should support Israel for their technological contributions alone.  I wouldn't be surprised if they cured cancer.