Author Topic: Lowery Interview on 1350  (Read 65354 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lowery Interview on 1350
« Reply #425 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
To me, the most self-delusional thing is the certainty with which Weber's performance was (and still is) forecasted. There's just not actually that much basis for it. And the way I read it, this is exactly what GOSP was calling into question.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 20, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
To me, the most self-delusional thing is the certainty with which Weber's performance was (and still is) forecasted. There's just not actually that much basis for it. And the way I read it, this is exactly what GOSP was calling into question.

Seems to me the forecast has been pretty accurate. Like by a lot. :dunno:

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »
There's plenty of basis for it. The mistake is to base your predictions solely on metrics.

But GOSP's metrics were bad, too.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »
This is controversial here:

I just don't get the doom and gloom.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 20, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
There's plenty of basis for it. The mistake is to base your predictions solely on metrics.

Crystal ball?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 20, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »
oscar's tenure was more predictable than most because of his lengthy track record that led to him getting fired from a comparable situation.

I didn't expect this year to go so poorly or his first year to go so well, but neither season should have surprised anyone because of his tenure at Illinois.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:33 AM »

Honestly, this is embarrassing for someone who's supposed to be a "data guy".

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »
just wondering, how many seasons do you need to collect for you to accept the empirical evidence in front of you?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
oscar's tenure was more predictable than most because of his lengthy track record that led to him getting fired from a comparable situation.

I didn't expect this year to go so poorly or his first year to go so well, but neither season should have surprised anyone because of his tenure at Illinois.

This was the only possible outcome and we knew it all along.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:16 AM »

Honestly, this is embarrassing for someone who's supposed to be a "data guy".

Heh. I'm not embarrassed in the least.

The general trend of early success and struggles by his 3rd year is what many people thought would happen.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 20, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »
Take your last two games, for example.

Crystal ball?

You guys are 1-and-1 including a win over a top 20 team. Your loss was a conference road game.

Not bad right? The data says the mood around here should be pretty good, right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »

Who said that with any degree of certainty?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 20, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
just wondering, how many seasons do you need to collect for you to accept the empirical evidence in front of you?

There isn't a realistic scenario that would lead me to conclude with very high confidence that oscar's first three years would more or less go how they have gone.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »

Probably anyone willing to burn it down?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »

I wasn't one of them, but I think many posters were pretty certain there would be early success and the program would get worse over the course of time. No one was saying exact scenarios, but the general trend was predicted well by many posters based on oscar's history.

I'm sure part of this is just chum's devil's advocate BBSing, which can be effective and entertaining.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
chum1 is so completely out to rough ridin' lunch on this. According to him, you'd need 5 or so lengthy tenures at relatively similar institutions to really even start to be able to make valid predictions about a coach's future performance. Anything before that and you're basically using Chinese Fortune Sticks.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
chum1 is so completely out to rough ridin' lunch on this. According to him, you'd need 5 or so lengthy tenures at relatively similar institutions to really even start to be able to make valid predictions about a coach's future performance. Anything before that and you're basically using Chinese Fortune Sticks.

It's an issue of proportionality between evidence and confidence. And it's not according to me. It's according to math.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »

It's an issue of proportionality between evidence and confidence. And it's not according to me. It's according to math.

You're just not going to get the amount/variety of data that you're looking for when predicting future success for college coaches. So, we can all sit around and lament the fact that all of our guesses would be meaningless, and then try to find something else to talk about...OR, we can make predictions based not only upon numbers, but also on human nature and personality traits that we feel will influence the success/failure of a certain coach. Then when we're right/wrong we can either talk crap or eat crow. It's kind of how being a sports fan works. If we all waited for the data to clearly point to a certain outcome, then there'd be no need for predictions anymore.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
If you rely solely on data, and remove qualitative elements of humanity from the equation,

you will certainly come up with oscar Weber.

catzacker

« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
Jesus christ.  If a guy who shoots 35% from 3 has a stretch where he shoots 45%, are we to be surprised that he has a stretch that he shoots 25%?   oscar's trajectory (his average) is looking like what alot thought it would look like.  Of course there isn't absolute certainty to it. Call it confidence or whatever you rough ridin' like to make yourself feel better about being wrong I guess.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
I think oscar is probably closer to a 28% shooter though
:adios:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:45 AM »
I think oscar is probably closer to a 28% shooter though

I don't think you have near enough data to say that with any certainty. If it ends up being true, then I think we can all agree that you're a witch.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
Jesus christ.  If a guy who shoots 35% from 3 has a stretch where he shoots 45%, are we to be surprised that he has a stretch that he shoots 25%?   oscar's trajectory (his average) is looking like what alot thought it would look like.  Of course there isn't absolute certainty to it. Call it confidence or whatever you rough ridin' like to make yourself feel better about being wrong I guess.

I didn't make any predictions. Although, if I had, I would have included the actual last three year span in a range of possibilites. So, I couldn't have been wrong.

I just think there's been a misinterpretation of data. That' s my issue. And I'm not saying anything stupid like that we must have absoute certainty either.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 20, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Actually, I didn't state my entire issue quite right. I think judgements which are actually unsupported by data about Weber have been made under the guise of being supported by data.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 20, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
Actually, I didn't state my entire issue quite right. I think judgements which are actually unsupported by data about Weber have been made under the guise of being supported by data.  :curse: :curse: :curse:
ok, chum