Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4054968 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29275 on: October 06, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
A la carte is definitely the future, and what most young people want. It's just a question of whether it is profitable for the broadcasters. So far it's mostly not.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29276 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:04 PM »
And to expand further, what we're doing with K-StateHD.tv is actually way ahead of the curve.  I know that it's not huge now, but for much bigger schools, programs, professional teams, etc., is the future of the medium, as we move to a streaming future, the distribution of your content directly from the team/organization as opposed to the team/organization selling it through a middle man?

LHN, YES, etc. are kind of the future, but they're just cable channels now.  Does a consumer want to pay 9.99 a month for their team only as opposed to paying 19.99 for sports and teams they don't care about to watch a couple of games a month for a team they care about?  Would they rather have access to Texas, Royals, Chiefs, etc. specific content for less money?

I realize that future is most likely less profitable than the current model, so the incentive to go there isn't high, but as people cut more and more from their entertainment bills, and what you watch becomes more customized to what you want, is that where teams will need to ultimately go to salvage what customers really want?

kstatehd.tv is about 2 years behind the curve in digital content and 2 years ahead of the curve in sport content delivery. It's missing a mobile app, Amazon FireTV/Xbox/PS4 App and things like chromecast abilities.

That said, kstatehdtv can't handle that. There is a gap right now that some app creator/manager could fill by working with a school's third tier/rebroadcast rights to carry on their app ecosystem. If the P5 conferences knew what was best for them, they would start unifying and form this outside of ESPN and Fox. I know they like the guaranteed money in contracts, but there are a ton of possible avenues that they should be exploring.

What do they have to gain by leaving ESPN and FOX? Both already have all the digital broadcasting possibilities available.

Money and power.

65 schools. On demand content. Every single game able to be viewed worldwide from a single source. If a company that Blockbuster turned down can be a media juggernaut, we don't need Fox or ESPN. They would need the P5 schools.

Maybe it's my own personal desire, but if the P5 conferences banded together for broadcasting, standardizing scheduling rules, etc. college football would be better for it.

Not to be a dick but those things in your first paragraph are important to you personally, I don't think, I know, most college football fans don't feel those things are important.

As far as your second paragraph goes, I actually like that cfb is a regional sport and has its different quirks. When I hear uniformity I think the NFL, gross and boring.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29277 on: October 07, 2016, 02:49:23 AM »
And to expand further, what we're doing with K-StateHD.tv is actually way ahead of the curve.  I know that it's not huge now, but for much bigger schools, programs, professional teams, etc., is the future of the medium, as we move to a streaming future, the distribution of your content directly from the team/organization as opposed to the team/organization selling it through a middle man?

LHN, YES, etc. are kind of the future, but they're just cable channels now.  Does a consumer want to pay 9.99 a month for their team only as opposed to paying 19.99 for sports and teams they don't care about to watch a couple of games a month for a team they care about?  Would they rather have access to Texas, Royals, Chiefs, etc. specific content for less money?

I realize that future is most likely less profitable than the current model, so the incentive to go there isn't high, but as people cut more and more from their entertainment bills, and what you watch becomes more customized to what you want, is that where teams will need to ultimately go to salvage what customers really want?

kstatehd.tv is about 2 years behind the curve in digital content and 2 years ahead of the curve in sport content delivery. It's missing a mobile app, Amazon FireTV/Xbox/PS4 App and things like chromecast abilities.

That said, kstatehdtv can't handle that. There is a gap right now that some app creator/manager could fill by working with a school's third tier/rebroadcast rights to carry on their app ecosystem. If the P5 conferences knew what was best for them, they would start unifying and form this outside of ESPN and Fox. I know they like the guaranteed money in contracts, but there are a ton of possible avenues that they should be exploring.

What do they have to gain by leaving ESPN and FOX? Both already have all the digital broadcasting possibilities available.

Money and power.

65 schools. On demand content. Every single game able to be viewed worldwide from a single source. If a company that Blockbuster turned down can be a media juggernaut, we don't need Fox or ESPN. They would need the P5 schools.

Maybe it's my own personal desire, but if the P5 conferences banded together for broadcasting, standardizing scheduling rules, etc. college football would be better for it.

Not to be a dick but those things in your first paragraph are important to you personally, I don't think, I know, most college football fans don't feel those things are important.

As far as your second paragraph goes, I actually like that cfb is a regional sport and has its different quirks. When I hear uniformity I think the NFL, gross and boring.

Everyone should think money and power are important.

Bold is right on the money MIR.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29278 on: October 07, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

Money and power.

^^^^ this........hate the way the networks (especially ESPN) delivers college football to us.......i don't want them to force me to watch one regional broadcast over the other, blacked out games and who gets what time slot....it's bullshit and we just have to sit in front of our tv and wish it were different
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29279 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »
Wut
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29280 on: October 07, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »
ESPN :curse:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29281 on: October 07, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »

Money and power.

As far as your second paragraph goes, I actually like that cfb is a regional sport and has its different quirks. When I hear uniformity I think the NFL, gross and boring the most popular and profitable sport in the country.

FYP

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29282 on: October 07, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »

Money and power.

I don't think money and power are important to me personally. I'm sick of ESPN and Fox dictating our 10 AM kick offs and blacking out certain regions. There's no reason in this day and age, I can't easily see any game in the nation on any device I want.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29283 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »
The NFL may be popular, and I watch it, but my flying spaghetti monster have the games gotten BAF in most cases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29284 on: October 07, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »

Money and power.

^^^^ this........hate the way the networks (especially ESPN) delivers college football to us.......i don't want them to force me to watch one regional broadcast over the other, blacked out games and who gets what time slot....it's bullshit and we just have to sit in front of our tv and wish it were different

They stopped doing this at least four years ago. When they do have an ABC regional broadcast the other games are available on cable.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29285 on: October 07, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
I don't think fsn games are even regional anymore for the most part, are they?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29286 on: October 07, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »

Pretty sure FAU was

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29287 on: October 07, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »

Pretty sure FAU was

Sorta kinda, it had national clearance but it was preempted by baseball in many markets.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29288 on: October 07, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

I'm in Colorado and couldn't watch FAU. Not even on Fox Sports Go.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29289 on: October 07, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »

My cousin who lives in Colorado got it on TV. So idk what you're talking about.

The Big Train

« Reply #29290 on: October 07, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Yeah what are you talking about

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29291 on: October 07, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
i wasn't able to get it in pratt

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29292 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:03 PM »
ew2x4 shoulda drove over to mamacat's to watch the game

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29293 on: October 08, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
What state is Pratt in?

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29294 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29295 on: October 08, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »

My cousin who lives in Colorado got it on TV. So idk what you're talking about.
We don't have a local"FSN" channel here. Only Root which will replay non Colorado sports, but rarely show them live. So your fake cousin probably has satellite and is able to get FSN KC or Midwest or whatever.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29296 on: October 08, 2016, 07:35:46 PM »
Gotham Grill w/the big-time minute-long ad during this premium football content.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29297 on: October 08, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »
2 Brett Favre products tho

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29298 on: October 08, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
Gotham Grill w/the big-time minute-long ad during this premium football content.

Ti-ceramic.  That's an amazing combination of materials. 

No more spilling your food outside on the deck in the rain while holding an umbrella, that's for sure.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29299 on: October 08, 2016, 07:58:57 PM »

Ti-ceramic.  That's an amazing combination of materials. 

No more spilling your food outside on the deck in the rain while holding an umbrella, that's for sure.

And that's where the scentblocker full-body waterproof hunting suit comes into play.