Author Topic: Bill's Word  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Bill's Word
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
I want all our coaches and players to know the rules.

And most of all, the referees that are paid to know and enforce them
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »

They knew the rule as it applied to when someone fucks up and blows a whistle when he shouldn't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

They knew the rule as it applied to when someone fucks up and blows a whistle when he shouldn't.

The 20 minutes it took to apply the rule cast some doubt on that

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
It was dumb by the official, but somewhat understandable. He blew the whistle because the UTEP player possessed the ball.  If the ball was beyond the line of scrimmage, then the play would be dead at that point, kind of like downing a punt. However, if the ball is still behind the LOS, even after a block, the kicking team can pick it up and advance it for a first down, which UTEP tried to do. After the official blew the whistle when the player grabbed the ball the play was dead though and by rule it had to be replayed.

Listening to him at the stadium, the ref said a couple of times that the whistle was blown before the fumble. What fumble was he talking about, and how did it impact the call?

I'm pretty sure he meant before UTEP retook possession of the ball after the block happened. I think Bill's question for clarification (and the reason for the length of the review) was about whether or not the whistle happened after the UTEP player picked the ball up and started running with it. He was probably thinking that if the whistle happened after, then we could choose to take the ball at that spot because they had obviously not gained enough yardage to get a first down. It sounds like the officials eventually ruled that the whistle occurred before the UTEP player possessed the ball, so the only option was to replay the down because there was essentially no possession when the whistle occurred.

While it is a dumb mistake by a referee, generally an inadvertent whistle ruling is more clear cut, but the blocked punt and repossession behind the line of scrimmage made things a little more complicated. Also, IMO the inadvertent whistle was a bit more understandable because if the ball was beyond the line of scrimmage an official would automatically blow the play dead if the kicking team recovered the ball after a kick even when blocked.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »

:thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
So my dad works with a Big XII official (the dude that broke his leg during OU/WVU) and here is his explanation.

As to the punt play, I was watching on TV and what I came up with was that it was a scrimmage kick (punt) that did not cross the line of scrimmage, that being the case either team can advance. It appeared to be the killed the play(inadvertent whistle) when the kicking team recovered and started to advance. By rule the team in possession can take the result of the play or replay the down. They obviously chose the latter and punted again. As to replay, I have no idea what they looked at for 11 minutes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk