Author Topic: Bill's Word  (Read 4086 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Bill's Word
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Bill's quote:  “Number one, I was clueless in regards to what they were trying to tell me. Number two, whatever the ruling was just did not seem to be appropriate. Apparently there is a rule to that effect that I am totally unaware of. That is the first thing I am going to do when I walk out of here is find that rule. They did the best they could. It just took them an hour and a half to do it.”

If you didn't like Bill before that, you should like him now.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Bill's Word
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »
That play was bullshit. The refs should learn the rules of the game so they don't blow inadvertent whistles during huge plays.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:48:40 AM »
Bill's quote:  “Number one, I was clueless in regards to what they were trying to tell me. Number two, whatever the ruling was just did not seem to be appropriate. Apparently there is a rule to that effect that I am totally unaware of. That is the first thing I am going to do when I walk out of here is find that rule. They did the best they could. It just took them an hour and a half to do it.”

If you didn't like Bill before that, you should like him now.

middle finger

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
It was dumb by the official, but somewhat understandable. He blew the whistle because the UTEP player possessed the ball.  If the ball was beyond the line of scrimmage, then the play would be dead at that point, kind of like downing a punt. However, if the ball is still behind the LOS, even after a block, the kicking team can pick it up and advance it for a first down, which UTEP tried to do. After the official blew the whistle when the player grabbed the ball the play was dead though and by rule it had to be replayed.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
I want all our coaches and players to know the rules.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 08:42:25 AM »
thankfully it didn't affect the outcome of this game. but it could have tremendous impact in a close game. does sean not teach special teams to recover a blocked punt?

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
Easy call, the ref made a mistake. Inadvertent whistle always means replay of down

No reason to review the play, the refs were obviously showing the legend respect

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
I thought inadvertent whistle meant deadball where the whistle was blown, meaning we get the ball on downs.

Booed them pretty hard for it
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
The play was live and UTEP had possession, ball carrier was tackled right after the whistle was blown. Rules say you have to give UTEP the benefit of the doubt because their player might have heard it and stopped running

It's a bullshit rule and we were screwed. Should be judged on the instance, not just a set rule
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:15:02 PM by Pett »

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
It was dumb by the official, but somewhat understandable. He blew the whistle because the UTEP player possessed the ball.  If the ball was beyond the line of scrimmage, then the play would be dead at that point, kind of like downing a punt. However, if the ball is still behind the LOS, even after a block, the kicking team can pick it up and advance it for a first down, which UTEP tried to do. After the official blew the whistle when the player grabbed the ball the play was dead though and by rule it had to be replayed.

Listening to him at the stadium, the ref said a couple of times that the whistle was blown before the fumble. What fumble was he talking about, and how did it impact the call?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
I also did not see a fumble at all that was mentioned multiple times.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
Possible he was talking about when the UTEP guy touched the ball but couldn't corral it before long-hair got it and started rumbling.  Maybe in the weird context of a punt-block'd ball behind the line of scrimmage, refs think of that as a fumble.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »

Listening to him at the stadium, the ref said a couple of times that the whistle was blown before the fumble. What fumble was he talking about, and how did it impact the call?

Ben Leber on the color commentary had a great quip where he said, "unless this guy is a psychic and is seeing a future fumble that hasn't occurred yet, I'm not sure what he's talking about" or something to that effect
emaw

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »

Ben Leber on the color commentary had a great quip where he said, "unless this guy is a psychic and is seeing a future fumble that hasn't occurred yet, I'm not sure what he's talking about" or something to that effect

Leber was fantastic yesterday  :thumbs:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »
Seems to me that the rule should simply state that once kicked, possession has been given up.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
I thought inadvertent whistle meant deadball where the whistle was blown, meaning we get the ball on downs.

Booed them pretty hard for it

They had the option to replay or take the ball where the whistle was blown.  Since it was fourth down and he was short of the first down they obviously would replay the down.  The whistle as bad but what was totally unacceptable was how long it took for the refs to figure it all out.  It made them really look like they didn't have a clue.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Wyatt was fuming.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 11:49:30 AM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
thankfully it didn't affect the outcome of this game. but it could have tremendous impact in a close game. does sean not teach special teams to recover a blocked punt?

Yeah, you're rightfully taught not to rough ridin' touch it, dummy. If someone tried to scoop it and messed it up it would result in a change in possession and a first down for the team punting if they recover it. Unless you're free and clear you should leave the ball alone in that instance.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 01:01:23 PM »
Easy call, the ref made a mistake. Inadvertent whistle always means replay of down

No reason to review the play, the refs were obviously showing the legend respect

Gooch said the "review" was them thumbing through the rule book and I think he was right. The better one was later in the game when Patterson's kickoff hit the dudes leg and took a right turn out of bounds and the official somehow missed it and the replay official was like "meh, who cares, the game is over."

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »

Yeah, you're rightfully taught not to rough ridin' touch it, dummy. If someone tried to scoop it and messed it up it would result in a change in possession and a first down for the team punting if they recover it. Unless you're free and clear you should leave the ball alone in that instance.

By "free and clear" do you mean 4 of our guys standing at the 5 yard line watching the ball gently float back down to earth with no UTEP players anywhere near?  All one of them had to do was catch the ball and fall over into the end zone.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »

By "free and clear" do you mean 4 of our guys standing at the 5 yard line watching the ball gently float back down to earth with no UTEP players anywhere near?  All one of them had to do was catch the ball and fall over into the end zone.

If that's what happened, sure I guess. In the stadium it seemed a bit more chaotic than that, seems like whomever blew his whistle thought it was chaotic as well. I mean you can't argue with the play that the players made, if the official didn't screw up we have the ball 1st and 10 on the 21.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »

he's really good

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »

he's really good
Such a professional. He never lol'd once during the KU Central Michigan game. And there were multiple lol moments.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »

i wasn't taking a shot at sean, i just didn't understand why nobody tried to catch it. seems like a mental error by about 4 of our special teams players. must be dummies.