Author Topic: Write a Corona/covid romantic comedy with your pal Dug  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Write a Corona/covid romantic comedy with your pal Dug
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »
Title: Lovid-19

Opening scene:  Aerial shot of Times Square, 11:59 on 12/31/19.  A jubilant Ryan Seacrest counts down to the new year. America is enjoying an economy that offers almost complete employment, businesses are booming and although the country is divided along party lines, the vast majority of the country is looking forward to a new year, and a new decade. A sexy football team from a hearty midwest city had captured the country's hearts as they made a run to being world champions.  The entire county looked forward to a new year that will surely provide enormous opportunity for the young and a comfortable retirement for the smelly boomers.

Scene 2: 1/11/20

Setting:  Trendy Dumbo neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Jared (played by Timberlake) opens his eyes to a bleating alarm.  He yelps as he sees the time, it’s 8:12 he’s already late for his job as a broker at Deutsch bank! 

Montage as he hurries to shower and get dressed (as "Sucker for you" plays).  He gets ready and quickly feeds his bulldog, Jeter, who begs for attention.  He yells "I promise we will go for a nice run to the dog park when I get back!" and throws a tennis ball for the dog as he dashes out the door of his walkup. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:26:55 AM by Dugout DickStone »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Write a Corona/covid romantic comedy with your pal Dug
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
Scene 2:

Setting: kitschy apartment kitchen table in lower Manhattan.

Madison (Jennifer Lawrence), a grad law student at Pace U is pouring over a textbook and laptop. The low drone of a news program can be heard in the background and seen on a small TV screen somewhere back there as well.Its an early 'rona report out of china. Madison isn't paying attention to this AT ALL. Her brow furrowed in concentration with a hand propping up her head. An alarm sounds on her apple/Samsung watch “6:30 am. get to work.”

Underdog - Alicia Keys plays she hurriedly heads to her job as a barista/bartender/server at a bistro near Jared’s work.

Note: she is using public transit obviously, what type is up to our next screenwriter.

Character bg: Madison is the daughter of a pre-school teacher and a grocery produce manager from upstate. She is a first generation college grad (Syracuse).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:07:59 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Madison's flighty-but-lovable roommate Kynley (up and coming Rebel Wilson type) has gone back to Iowa to finish the semester online, so Madison is begrudgingly taking care of the roommate's misbehaving beagle, Zayn. Despite being from rural NY, Madison is NOT an animal person.

Madison decides to take Zayn on a walk (or the other way around, lol), and she witnesses some guy gently chide a lady for walking her tiny dog without a leash. The lady immediately loses her crap and tells the guy she wishes he had Coronavirus. Jared also witnesses the scene, and he and Madison make small talk about the incident.

Madison says to Jared that the lady is obviously way out of bounds and needs to be mindful of leash laws, Jared agrees that she shouldn't have said that about Covid-19, but also that they guy should just mind his own business. Things escalate into a mild argument, and Madison and Zayn walk off in a huff, frustrated with the strong-willed (but cute) Jared.

Later that night, Madison recounts the incident in a Zoom conversation with Kynley.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »
I'm thinking the story should begin before 'rona has really taken hold in the US. With this in mind, maybe we should have the low drone of a 'rona news report out of China or somewhere on a TV in the background of scene two. Obv. nbd to Madison in the moment AT ALL.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
I'm thinking the story should begin before 'rona has really taken hold in the US. With this in mind, maybe we should have the low drone of a 'rona news report out of China or somewhere on a TV in the background of scene two. Obv. nbd to Madison in the moment AT ALL.

Agree, I'm working on a scene 3 now

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »

Yes, I want to tell the story of how it came on quickly.  So your re-write is accepted

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Scene 3 -

Setting: Uber ride from Lower Dumbo to Hip Vegan Fair Trade Coffee Shop by Wall Street.

As Jared walks out the door he pulls out his Iphone and like most mornings he orders an Uber to his favorite coffee spot Cafe Elaine. During the ride he works through a couple emails then checks the twitter machine while "The Man" from the Killers plays on his Air Pods. Knicks ended up losing by 20 last night (his co-worker Bronson will be sure to give him a hard time), Futures Market is up, Lockdown in Wuhan? He clicks the article to read more but just then they arrive at Cafe Elaine.

Jared tosses the driver a $10 bill and jumps out of the Uber then hops back narrowly avoiding a cyclist who flips him the bird. Jared doesn't pay him any attention though, its friday and that means the cute girl who gives him the side eyes will be working at Cafe Elaine this morning. He walks towards the large plate glass doors with a skip in his step excited about his position in life. Maybe he didn't turn out to be a doctor like his dad wanted but he still has the world at his fingertips.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
Nice work ben ji.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »
Nice work ben ji.

Who is going to write their first conversation in the movie? Maybe something silly happens and they both giggle and make eye contact for a super long time?

Some joke about him introducing himself to her and she's like "Yeah, I know your name. I've been writing it on the cup for you every Friday for 2 months"?

Does he make a move but she's all like "OMG School is so crazy I dont have any time to date"?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »
going to brain storm during my workout.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
Suggestion - Maybe replace Justin Timberlake with Ryan Gosling? If this guy is going to be a broker at DB I feel like Gosling can play that role alot better than JT.

Jennifer Lawrence is perfect for Madison.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Suggestion - Maybe replace Justin Timberlake with Ryan Gosling? If this guy is going to be a broker at DB I feel like Gosling can play that role alot better than JT.

Agree. Also need to rename Jared imo. Madison is of course named after Madison Square Garden. Her father was a huge Willis Reed fan back in the day.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »

Agree. Also need to rename Jared imo. Madison is of course named after Madison Square Garden. Her father was a huge Willis Reed fan back in the day.

Agreed on Jared getting renamed, I vote for Alexander or Philip. Either way he has a III at the end of his full name.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »

Agreed on Jared getting renamed, I vote for Alexander or Philip. Either way he has a III at the end of his full name.

Aleks. Cuz russian