Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4065161 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26450 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Hmmmm, Pig Aggie.

http://landgrantgauntlet.com/2015/07/28/should-arkansas-join-the-big-12-while-they-still-can/

None of that is wrong.  They'd be a great fit, and it makes a ton of sense.

I mean, does Bowlsby even bring this crap up to schools? You'd think a self-absorbed cult like A&M would crap if they knew they'd get 27 million in conference split and could bring in another 10-15 million (complete guess) on their cult aggie 3rd-tier network, right?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26451 on: July 29, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
Nebraska and Arkansas both know in their hearts they are better off here but they will never leave their current spots.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26452 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
They both would be Big 12 sports powers, but they both have Texas butthurt.   So, they'd rather continue to toil away as afterthoughts in the BiG and the SEC.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26453 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
Lots of weird butthurt with teams like Nebraska and Arkansas.  They also have too much conference pride to ever come (back) to the Big 12.  You can add Missouri to that list now too.  So weird.  I loved the Arkansas fanbase and would love to play them every year or two.  Also a very easy drive down I-49.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26454 on: July 29, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
They both would be Big 12 sports powers, but they both have Texas butthurt.   So, they'd rather continue to toil away as afterthoughts in the BiG and the SEC.

Honestly, butt hurt is probably the #1 motivator driving conference realignment right now.  I mean the money is creating the conditions, but several schools have acted against their own self-interest all because of jealousy and not feeling 'pretty' enough.

I mean Missouri took a shotgun to it's basketball program, and I'm not talking about Kim Anderson.  I'm just saying they'll never be relevant in an SEC that no one cares about.

"Hey, Georgia is coming to town!"

Yeah, that doesn't work at all.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26455 on: July 29, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »

Honestly, butt hurt is probably the #1 motivator driving conference realignment right now.  I mean the money is creating the conditions, but several schools have acted against their own self-interest all because of jealousy and not feeling 'pretty' enough.

I mean Missouri took a shotgun to it's basketball program, and I'm not talking about Kim Anderson.  I'm just saying they'll never be relevant in an SEC that no one cares about.

The problem with Missouri is that they've won a couple of SEC East titles without ever beating an SEC team that finished with a winning season in conference play.   So, they've declared themselves a national football power and the Big 12 is not worthy of them anymore.   

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26456 on: July 29, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

They will never win that division.  I'm very comfortable saying never.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26457 on: July 29, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »

The problem with Missouri is that they've won a couple of SEC East titles without ever beating an SEC team that finished with a winning season in conference play.   So, they've declared themselves a national football power and the Big 12 is not worthy of them anymore.

Imagine if the big programs in the East stopped playing terrible and started consistently winning. Cough, Tennessee/ Florida. When you look at that division MU should be sitting third from bottom. Props where its due for them doing what they're doing but its likely not going to keep happening for long.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26458 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

Arkansas would do themselves a huge favor by exiting to the Big 12, Arkansas and Texas have actually scheduled regular season games, so the Butthurt isn't that bad.   If there's a chance at Arkansas, than Arkansas should then request and East/West alignment to the conference and it is then you tell BYU that sports is not work, and give them one last chance to come to their senses.    Just a thought.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26459 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
why did Arky jump ship before the SWC broke up?  Were they smart and ahead of the scandal?  I'm ignorant to how that played out other than corruption and scandal causing the SWC to die.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26460 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
Would take pig aggie hard.

Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

Arkansas would do themselves a huge favor by exiting to the Big 12, Arkansas and Texas have actually scheduled regular season games, so the Butthurt isn't that bad.   If there's a chance at Arkansas, than Arkansas should then request and East/West alignment to the conference and it is then you tell BYU that sports is not work, and give them one last chance to come to their senses.    Just a thought.

Honest question, but how many games/competitions actually happen on a Sunday? Seriously, I think of football (never), basketball (almost never). Maybe baseball and some track and field tournaments, but really, when have those been the guiding light of conference realignment.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26461 on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
I think if by some freak chance we could actually get Arkansas, then we hold steady until we can pick up legit acc schools or at worst a school like Louisville.

If it were just geography, Louisville and Arkansas would be really good gets.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26462 on: July 29, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

What would the East/West look like?  I just can't imagine Oklahoma schools and Texas schools separating and even in this long shot hypothetical Arkansas would have to in a division with Texas

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26463 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I think the Sunday issues has always been in play with BYU.

The simple facts are though, that Arkansas and Nebraska to the Big 12 would make for an extremely attractive media package.   While Arkansas and Nebraska aren't huge TV audiences they are captured audiences.    Arkansas in particular would immediately put themselves in much greater contention for a conference championship and they would be able to recruit Texas with more in their bag of tricks than ever, with the vast majority of their games played in AR/TX/OK/KS.   A huge selling point to parents, huge.

Yeah, forget that East/West thing if Nebraska were to come back.   North/South it is. 

A pipe dream for sure, but a fun one.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26464 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
I think they would be ok being the only "power" in the division opposite of UT/OU. At least if the playoffs are the goal.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26465 on: July 29, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
I think if by some freak chance we could actually get Arkansas, then we hold steady until we can pick up legit acc schools or at worst a school like Louisville.

What if we get Arkansas and just tell WVA to get bent?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26466 on: July 29, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »

What if we get Arkansas and just tell WVA to get bent?
I like wvu and having 12 members so I'm ok with them. I like 10 too but apparently that's a problem. In any circumstance we should never go beyond 12.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26467 on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

What would the East/West look like?  I just can't imagine Oklahoma schools and Texas schools separating and even in this long shot hypothetical Arkansas would have to in a division with Texas

I've thought about this quite a bit, and to be honest, I think 14 teams may be where they want to go.

Add Cincy (WVU travel partner), Arky, UCF and USF, and I think you can call it a day.

West:
Texas
Tech
OU
OSU
Arky
Kansas
Kansas State

East:
Iowa State
Baylor
TCU
Cincy
WVU
UCF
USF

Split Texas up a bit so everyone gets that Texas game they all want so badly every year.  9 conference games, one cross-divisional rival.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26468 on: July 29, 2015, 02:29:03 PM »
Nebraska and Arkansas both know in their hearts they are better off here but they will never leave their current spots.

This is true. It's weird, they love "SEC, SEC" more than any chance of actually being good. As long as they pull off the semi-annual upset of LSU the day after Turkey Day, they're happy as hell to stay put.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26469 on: July 29, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
I think Arkansas and Texas secretly miss each other and badly want to be in the same conference again.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26470 on: July 29, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
Arkansas has a better chance of making the playoffs (or New Year's Bowl) in the SEC.  They would be fools to jump ship.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26471 on: July 29, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
and that doesn't even account for the massive difference in TV exposure they would lose

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26472 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Arkansas has a better chance of making the playoffs (or New Year's Bowl) in the SEC.  They would be fools to jump ship.
With the Big 12 as a round robin league, that's true.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26473 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
Sorry pan, but any idea that includes ucf and usf is a shitty one.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26474 on: July 29, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
With the Big 12 as a round robin league, that's true.
Even in a division based league it's true.