Author Topic: The trade wars begin  (Read 116759 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The trade wars begin
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »
Don’t mind me over here guys, just tossing rope to dax calling me a rino :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overcompensation

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
This is fine

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/lieber2k/status/1019242167976513536

I'll presume that the EU which as of May 2018 enjoyed a very healthy trade surplus with the United States would be open to sitting down with the U.S. and discuss lowering their overall unweighted tariff which is a full percentage point higher than the United States places on goods coming in from the EU (pre trade war).

The EU annual take on fewer U.S. goods coming in, accounts for billions of $ more in tariffs, than the annual take going in the opposite direction.

But per LibBots, that's fair.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
Only Trump supporting Republicans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »
That is all of them, steve dave.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The trade wars begin
« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:53 AM »
I don’t love tariffs, I dislike unfair trade policy.

I guess you guys just blew right by the lowering of the unweighted tariff part.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The trade wars begin
« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2018, 03:31:16 AM »
Shanghai index is down 7 percent since the trade war started, the Yuan is down against the dollar, Chinese Corp bond defaults are accelerating. 

Not saying these are necessarily good things, in fact it could be quite bad.  But this counters some of the talk that a trade war with China is fully advantage China.  That is not the case.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »

no it's not. that's just the elected ones.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2018, 08:43:51 AM »
Shanghai index is down 7 percent since the trade war started, the Yuan is down against the dollar, Chinese Corp bond defaults are accelerating. 

Not saying these are necessarily good things, in fact it could be quite bad.  But this counters some of the talk that a trade war with China is fully advantage China.  That is not the case.
Liars use figures they always say.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »

no it's not. that's just the elected ones.

evidence suggests it to be about 88% of all of them, elected or not.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »

Dax, I don’t want to get super sciency with you right now, so I’ll just say this: the reason like 99% of economists think a trade war is a bad idea is NOT because they’re concerned any one side is going to win too much.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »

Liars use figures they always say.

So those things aren’t happening? 

Lotta liars in the Asian financial analyst community, then.  Should we alert the SEC or similar?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Dax, I don’t want to get super sciency with you right now, so I’ll just say this: the reason like 99% of economists think a trade war is a bad idea is NOT because they’re concerned any one side is going to win too much.

No crap, but you’ve got the armchair economists in the MSM saying China is not being hurt.  They are. 

What part of “not saying this is necessarily good” was confusing?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
What timeframe are you using? Are you suggesting their stock market moves are all from tariffs?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »

No crap, but you’ve got the armchair economists in the MSM saying China is not being hurt.  They are. 

You really expect us to take your throw away hedging comments as anymore more than CYA when this doesn't work how Trump thinks it will?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

I haven't heard anybody say China is not being hurt.  I've only heard people say both sides are being hurt.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
Why so serious, Phil?  We're just talking here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/17/us-china-trade-war-chinese-stocks-fall-tariffs-may-ultimately-help.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2018/06/27/stock-market-says-china-a-loser-in-trade-war/#2271016f14ce

I'm not saying this is good long term, I'm not saying there's going to be a winner or a loser, I'm just saying their stock market has been taken some pretty hard hits since the trade war started, and they're corp bond market (as artificial as it is) is taking hard hits as well.   There's even a school of thought that China's economy is every bit the ponzi scheme as some say ours is, even more so. 

We have a tough issues with China and have to walk a fine line.   Huge trade deficits with them mean we're financing their increasingly high tech military, but they're financing our debt.    We finance their growing military while they attempt to essentially take over the South China Sea and use their money to buy influence all across the globe.   A pickle

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »

I haven't heard anybody say China is not being hurt.  I've only heard people say both sides are being hurt.

I consistently see commentary in social media that China is going to "destroy" us in a trade war, and other similar comments.   Those parrots are getting their talking points from some "expert" somewhere, I'm sure.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
China can destroy us in a trade war whilst getting destroyed themselves.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/1019392883399544832

Johnson asked the businessmen and women to raise their hands if they saw any advantages to the tariffs – no one did.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile