Author Topic: Sadly, this must have its own thread.  (Read 6407 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Sadly, this must have its own thread.
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
My favorite was when he brought academics into the picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
It's going to be a lot harder to decouple us if we don't have a soft landing spot.  That's not as easy as everyone thinks it will be.

Decoupling will be easy if someone else breaks up the Big 12, and KSU, KU and everyone else are scrambling for a home. In that scenario, I think KU could easily break away.

Decoupling by being the program that breaks up the Big 12? I don't see the BOR ever agreeing to that.

In other words, if someone else (Texas? OU?) causes the downfall of K-State, then the BoR isn't going to force KU to go down as well. If KU tries to cause the downfall of KSU, things will not go the way they're hoping.
Forget the BOR.  Why on earth would the big 10 want to add schools by having courts rule that GORs are invalid.  The big 10 schools are bound by a GOR.  They're not in danger, of losing anyone but they still don't want all of their members to suddenly become free agents.  That doesn't exactly drive up the value of the big 10 Network.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
It's going to be a lot harder to decouple us if we don't have a soft landing spot.  That's not as easy as everyone thinks it will be.

Decoupling will be easy if someone else breaks up the Big 12, and KSU, KU and everyone else are scrambling for a home. In that scenario, I think KU could easily break away.

Decoupling by being the program that breaks up the Big 12? I don't see the BOR ever agreeing to that.

In other words, if someone else (Texas? OU?) causes the downfall of K-State, then the BoR isn't going to force KU to go down as well. If KU tries to cause the downfall of KSU, things will not go the way they're hoping.
Forget the BOR.  Why on earth would the big 10 want to add schools by having courts rule that GORs are invalid.  The big 10 schools are bound by a GOR.  They're not in danger, of losing anyone but they still don't want all of their members to suddenly become free agents.  That doesn't exactly drive up the value of the big 10 Network.

BoR refers to the Kansas Board of Regents, which governs KSU, KU and all of the smaller colleges in the state. The KSBOR would not allow KU to make a move that brings about the downfall of K-State and the Big 12. If the Big 12 has already been killed, then I don't think the BoR would stand in anybody's way as they look for a life raft.

The GOR, or Grant of Rights, is a completely separate topic and a whole other can of worms.

Offline Karlen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
There's a lot of "sky is falling, Big 12 is doomed" going on. Is this just a response to the not adding 2 more schools, or are we supposed to believe the Big 12 is dying?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »
There's a lot of "sky is falling, Big 12 is doomed" going on. Is this just a response to the not adding 2 more schools, or are we supposed to believe the Big 12 is dying?
Because what ou ad said. And if they leave, the
 conference is doomed
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
Because what ou ad said. And if they leave, the
 conference is doomed

I've heard the OU doesn't want to leave. They supposedly want us to add 2 and have a CCG sooner than later and are trying to force it. They don't think much of Bowlsby just kind of floating along. Sounds like instead of pushing the NCAA on the CCG with 10, he's just in wait and see mode.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 06:30:23 AM »
Floating along, and wait and see, is the right mode to be in. Plus, it's the will of the school presidents, not just Bowlsby being a doofus.

Looking back at Boren's statement, he says expansion with the right schools. Does anyone believe he was referring to Memphis or Cincy or UCF? Not me.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »

BoR refers to the Kansas Board of Regents, which governs KSU, KU and all of the smaller colleges in the state. The KSBOR would not allow KU to make a move that brings about the downfall of K-State and the Big 12. If the Big 12 has already been killed, then I don't think the BoR would stand in anybody's way as they look for a life raft.

The GOR, or Grant of Rights, is a completely separate topic and a whole other can of worms.
I understand that.  My point is that it will never get that far.  The big 10 depends heavily upon GORs being ironclad.  The last thing they would want to do is encourage schools to find a way to have GORs deemed invalid because the big 10's GOR would also become worthless.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sadly, this must have its own thread.
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
Which schools in the big 10 would be looking to jump? Why would they GAF if Grant of Rights became unenforceable. tOSU isn't going to the Pac or SEC neither is Michigan, or anyone. They don't care or worry about someone being a free agent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 12:26:54 AM »
Which schools in the big 10 would be looking to jump? Why would they GAF if Grant of Rights became unenforceable. tOSU isn't going to the Pac or SEC neither is Michigan, or anyone. They don't care or worry about someone being a free agent

The contracts are enforceable by the networks, not the schools.   They are not going to let money run away.  This is why, unlike the conference "let's stay together" contracts, these GOR contracts are almost impossible to get out of.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 11:00:02 AM »
I can see if schools like Rutgers can become free agents they would shop around for the best deal.  ACC, SEC, they can offer the NE market and a easy football win for almost everyone on their schedule.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »
Soon, if/when any big ego schools become free agents/begin looking at other options, they'll add up the numbers that their own tier 3 network could bring in, plus Big 12 money, that will blow their current conference payout out of the water.

Being bound by a conference network will hurt schools in the long run and things could get interesting, the Big 12 just has to tread water until then.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
Soon, if/when any big ego schools become free agents/begin looking at other options, they'll add up the numbers that their own tier 3 network could bring in, plus Big 12 money, that will blow their current conference payout out of the water.

Being bound by a conference network will hurt schools in the long run and things could get interesting, the Big 12 just has to tread water until then.
I would think we got a minimum of ten years or longer if they extend the GOR.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 05:12:50 PM »

This isn't going to happen. The Big 12 sold virtually all of its content just to stay competitive, price-wise. Our Tier 1/2 contracts are comparable to other leagues, but will never blow anyone out of the water. Especially the big 10 or SEC.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
If the Big 12 "sold nearly all of its content" for Tier 1/2.   Than there wouldn't be an LHN, there wouldn't be other Tier III deals grossing $4 to $8 million dollars per school.   You think anyone is going to pay KU $6 million dollars a year just for the radio rights in 2015?

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 07:34:40 AM »
Got in to it with a Nubb(football)/KU(basketball) fan this morning over the state of the Big12. Told me the Big12 wouldn't make it another 5 years and Oklahoma and KU are the only 2 teams who would land on their feet when the conference collapsed because of how valuable both schools are. Said when KU's football program gets turned around they'll be the most valuable school in the conference and will be heavily courted by the SEC and Big10 and will leave the conference for greener pastures in 5 years then Oklahoma will follow their lead and the conference will collapse.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
when did you move to Portland?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »
Got in to it with a Nubb(football)/KU(basketball) fan this morning over the state of the Big12. Told me the Big12 wouldn't make it another 5 years and Oklahoma and KU are the only 2 teams who would land on their feet when the conference collapsed because of how valuable both schools are. Said when KU's football program gets turned around they'll be the most valuable school in the conference and will be heavily courted by the SEC and Big10 and will leave the conference for greener pastures in 5 years then Oklahoma will follow their lead and the conference will collapse.
:lol: Texas isn't going to make it.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »

Never??  :dunno:

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »

This made me smile and laugh

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »

Well played sir.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »
Took me longer than it should, I have to admit
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
Damnit, Tobias... I don't get the joke....  :bang:

:buh-bye:

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
Berms related. My guess.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »
Doesn't OregonHawk live in Portland? That's my guess. :dunno: