Author Topic: Sadly, this must have its own thread.  (Read 6406 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sadly, this must have its own thread.
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
Recruit
Rating: 2.5/5 this site
426 posts this site
X
Why I'm Rooting for the Big 12 to Be Left Out of the Playoff
2:40 PM
(10 votes)

Yes, I want to see our beloved conference get embarrassed again this year by being the only P5 conference left out of the playoff.   I'll be rooting hard for the noncon opponents of TCU, BU, and OU to beat them and for the league contenders to beat each other up so that no one makes the playoff.  What would really be golden would be for OU to be in the discussion and be shunned by the playoff committee.  Why?  Because I want to see OU  get really serious about leaving this conference for the Big 10 with KU.  And I want it to happen within the next couple of years, not 7 years from now.

Everyone who knows anything about college football knows that the Big 12 is Dead Man Walking and that it's only a question of when, not if, the  conference goes the way of the dinosaurs.  Until recently, I thought it unlikely it would occur before 2020 because of the GOR.  However, after Boren's comments about OU's dissatisfaction with the conference resulted in all this speculation about a deal under which KU and OU would go to the Big 10,  I've come to the belief that there is a real chance it could happen in the next couple years if things break right.  I'm not a lawyer, but I've heard that many lawyers question the enforceability of the GOR-- that a court might conclude that it is unenforceable as a penalty or as overly punitive for merely breaching a contract.  Also, it's possible, if not likely, that UT would leave the conference to go to the SEC or Pac when it is announced that KU and OU are leaving.  Then it would be a mad scramble for all the other conference members to find homes in P4 conferences, with maybe two being successful.  In that event, it would be impossible for the down and out members like KSU to enforce the GOR.

Going to the Big 10 would be a huge win for KU in so many ways.  Academically, it is in a different galaxy than the Big 12.  I actually think it would give KU a better chance of digging its football program out of the mess it is in.  Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern would be schools that KU would have a chance of competing against in football.  And I'd take our chances against Wisconsin or Nebraska over UT.   Let's face it, in the Big 12 we'll always be taking the leftover recruits in Texas that don't get offers from all the conference schools that are within driving distance of their homes. And the minute KU goes to the Big 10 with KSU left to wallow in a non-P4 conference, we get our choice of all the Kansas and KC area recruits.   And Big 10 basketball would be great for our BB program.  I've seen many posts by Big 10 fans on message boards about how amazing it would be to have KU in their conference because of our  elite BB program.  It's heartening to see on all these message boards the amount of respect KU has across the country as a true blueblood BB program.  I've come to believe that we are on strong ground whenever realignment does get hot again, provided Bernie and Sheahon Gump don't massively F up in the discussions and negotiations.  I just want this to happen NOW, not 7 years from now.

Last edited 08/02/2015 1:22 PMby hawkfanatic

This is the kind of selfish stuff that's gaining a foot hold with little brother.   First off, the Big 12 has been incredible for KU.   KU has won many conference basketball championships in a row.  The Big 12 allowed KU to go negotiate directly with the Orange Bowl providing the greatest moment for KU football over the last fifty years.   Big 12 basketball officials have defined a system that perfects the "not the number of fouls called, and when who they're called or not called on" system that helps KU basketball a lot, which is fine.    The Big 12 has made Kansas a very high revenue athletic program (albeit they seemingly can barely manage their expenses) and allows KU to pocket their relatively lucrative Tier III deal.   The Big 12 gives KU access to Texas recruits.

Really, fanatic, you're gonna survive off of recruiting . . . Kansas City and Kansas?   :lol:   :lol: :lol: You brought in a football coach with supposedly huge Texas ties and you're gonna cut off his legs because you have such low self esteem that you don't think KU can stand on it own and thus must go suckle from Momma BiG, where KU will be a second class citizen for years? 

Making the college football playoffs puts a lot extra money into the Big 12.  Sadly lil Bro is extremely selfish.   Based on how they're barely balancing their athletic budget, you'd think they'd want that money.

Sad

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:37:28 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Sadly, this must have its own thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »
he makes some very informed points
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:09:55 AM »
Sure, but then he also makes some very dumb points.

I don't get this extreme butthurt about K-State, it borders on paranoia.   K-State and KU are not going to be tied together. 

When KU doesn't win the BiG 10 times in a row in basketball, are KU fans going to run around waving the conference banner because that's all they've got, like MU fans and a bunch of the SEC schools do because they never win anything in the SEC?

The BiG would be 16 teams, the pod system makes it more difficult to establish rivalries.   Oh sure, KU would probably be back to playing Nebraska.  So what's old is new again.   KU losses to Nebraska every year in football because while weakend Nebraska is far more established, and KU beats Nebraska in basketball.  Now that's an excitement generator.  I suspect Corn fans would like it because then they could fill up Memorial Stadium on an easy road trip.   

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
Whoever wrote that is almost certainly a psychopath.  No GoEMAWing.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:16:10 AM »
There is already a case study that shows that going from the Big 12 to the Big 10 is bad for business. Nebraska was already a fading national power in the old Big 12, and left thinking they could get away from mean ol Texas. Well now Nebraska isn't just fading, but completely gone from national recognition. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and to a lesser extent Wisconsin, all have more national notoriety than Nebraska. Hell, even Penn State amid all of their problems are still more noticed than Nebraska football. They are an afterthought. If ku fans want the same to happen to their hallowed basketball program, then enjoy the ride, cause it's a fast downhill slope.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:02 AM »
Again, the only way KU fans think they can make their football program better is to separate themselves from K-State by being in different conferences.  Not sure why they think we would be left out of a P4 conference.  Pretty weird actually.... 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Sadly, this must have its own thread.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
My boss, who is a Penn State grad, signs his emails with his initials 'GBR'. When I pointed out to him and the rest of our team that Nebraska fans use that as an acronym for Go Big Red, neither he nor anyone else knew that. Included in the group was a Michigan State fan and an Auburn fan.
Nebraska is officially irrelevant.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
Case closed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
They want to be us  :frown:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:01:26 AM »
If they were so vastly superior to us, they should already get the pick of the litter. I mean they own kc and everything.

It's just another case of a school with massive insecurities. Which is the real problem with every school that had left thus far. Colorado is probably the exception.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline louie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
That person has some serious issues with Kansas State University.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:28 AM »
It's going to be a lot harder to decouple us if we don't have a soft landing spot.  That's not as easy as everyone thinks it will be.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
If they were so vastly superior to us, they should already get the pick of the litter. I mean they own kc and everything.

It's just another case of a school with massive insecurities. Which is the real problem with every school that had left thus far. Colorado is probably the exception.

Yes, this is very true.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »

So this pretty much confirms ku is leaving.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
Use of the term "P4 Conference" is a nice touch

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
They just want to avoid the annual beat downs in all sports that we lay on them.  I can get that.  It's why Nebraska and MU left.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
Also, is it really THAT hard to at some point have success against Texas? Everyone besides ISU and KU have

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »
Also, is it really THAT hard to at some point have success against Texas? Everyone besides ISU and KU have

Everyone that didn't, left.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
"Everyone who knows anything about college football knows . . . " Pretty much excludes all KU fans.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
It's going to be a lot harder to decouple us if we don't have a soft landing spot.  That's not as easy as everyone thinks it will be.

Decoupling will be easy if someone else breaks up the Big 12, and KSU, KU and everyone else are scrambling for a home. In that scenario, I think KU could easily break away.

Decoupling by being the program that breaks up the Big 12? I don't see the BOR ever agreeing to that.

In other words, if someone else (Texas? OU?) causes the downfall of K-State, then the BoR isn't going to force KU to go down as well. If KU tries to cause the downfall of KSU, things will not go the way they're hoping.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »

Decoupling will be easy if someone else breaks up the Big 12, and KSU, KU and everyone else are scrambling for a home. In that scenario, I think KU could easily break away.

Decoupling by being the program that breaks up the Big 12? I don't see the BOR ever agreeing to that.

In other words, if someone else (Texas? OU?) causes the downfall of K-State, then the BoR isn't going to force KU to go down as well. If KU tries to cause the downfall of KSU, things will not go the way they're hoping.

That's the thing, OU is in the same boat.

Think them blowing up the Big 12 and leaving OSU without a life raft is going to go over well?  Of course it's not.  And, as you say, KU is in the same boat.  If the Big 12 is still viable, the KBOR isn't going to allow KU to blow up the Big 12 so they can, maybe, beat Northwestern and join the CIC.  That's just stupid.

Offline TheKatsofWar

• Fan
  • It's ok I'm a limo driver!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
They hate us cause the anus

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
KU-KSU hasn't been a real rivalry for well over 20 years.  They can't compete with us in FB and they dominate in BB.  It warmed up a bit in FB when Mangino was in Lawrence, but Ron was in charge here, so it didn't really catch fire.  THe Huggy/Frank era also started some excitement, but that all went to Hell too quickly.  I don't know if I would really miss them and wouldn't be butt-hurt if they did move on.  Its a shame though.  They don't care about FB and our AD doesn't GAF about BB apparently.  Sad, really.   :frown:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Really bozo, you're going to sad, really a dax thread? How dare you
:adios:

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 06:35:38 PM »
I don't get this extreme butthurt about K-State, it borders on paranoia.   K-State and KU are not going to be tied together.   

Explain.