Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 29613 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 05, 2023, 11:44:54 PM »
I can see the parallel. It's wrong of them to comply before they have to, but if someone files a lawsuit, this court would declare minority scholarships unconstitutional.

I don't think that's a given, either way the University of Missouri should have been prepared to fight for their students and not immediately roll over to the Missouri Attorney General. Of course, those in the know of system president, Mun Choi, aren't surprised by him doing this.

https://twitter.com/NilsHeadley/status/1675353927565582337

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 12, 2023, 12:31:16 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 24, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »
Interesting observation. Though, I feel like this group would still be voicing grievances even if they were above the line.

https://twitter.com/JakeAnbinder/status/1683443795994501120

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 24, 2023, 11:15:28 AM »
while the supreme court is largely a joke these days, i'm glad that TREE LAW remains a bastion of justice

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 24, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
Interesting observation. Though, I feel like this group would still be voicing grievances even if they were above the line.

https://twitter.com/JakeAnbinder/status/1683443795994501120

it's a good illustration of why the legacy admit discussion is so charged.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 31, 2024, 09:16:38 AM »
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 31, 2024, 10:42:50 AM »
I think it gives you a decent glimpse into who on the court takes their job seriously.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 31, 2024, 11:02:03 AM »
I think it gives you a decent glimpse into who on the court takes their job seriously.

I think it shows more than just that.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 31, 2024, 01:49:01 PM »
Dax's revolver news has this as "Affirmative Action judge overwhelmed by workload…"
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 31, 2024, 01:52:15 PM »

What do you think it shows?

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 31, 2024, 02:32:47 PM »

'As the final arbiter of the law, the Court is charged with ensuring the American people the promise of equal justice under law and, thereby, also functions as guardian and interpreter of the Constitution.'

CANON 3: A JUSTICE SHOULD PERFORM THE DUTIES OF OFFICE FAIRLY, IMPARTIALLY, AND DILIGENTLY.
A. RESPONSIBILITIES. A Justice should not be swayed by partisan interests, public clamor, or fear of criticism.

She's traumatized by conservative victories?  That shouldn't really be the case should it?  And yes, they are all partisan but I was surprised she was so open about it in public.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 31, 2024, 03:06:53 PM »

'As the final arbiter of the law, the Court is charged with ensuring the American people the promise of equal justice under law and, thereby, also functions as guardian and interpreter of the Constitution.'

CANON 3: A JUSTICE SHOULD PERFORM THE DUTIES OF OFFICE FAIRLY, IMPARTIALLY, AND DILIGENTLY.
A. RESPONSIBILITIES. A Justice should not be swayed by partisan interests, public clamor, or fear of criticism.

She's traumatized by conservative victories?  That shouldn't really be the case should it?  And yes, they are all partisan but I was surprised she was so open about it in public.

“But it is still work that is all-consuming and I understand the impact the court has on people and on the country, and sometimes the world. And so it is what keeps me going.”

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 31, 2024, 03:21:11 PM »

The characterization of those as “conservative victories” is from the NY post. Just based on the article she basically only said she takes it hard when she has a strong opinion on important constitutional issues that is not shared by the majority of her colleagues.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 31, 2024, 06:23:25 PM »
Purp if these kinds of shenanigans get you charged up...wait til I tell you about this guy Clarence Thomas...

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 31, 2024, 09:20:51 PM »
Purp if these kinds of shenanigans get you charged up...wait til I tell you about this guy Clarence Thomas...

So your reading comprehension has let you down again.  I said they are ALL partisan but I was surprised she was as open as she was about it in public.  I don't think I've heard Thomas whine like she did?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 31, 2024, 09:52:16 PM »

So your reading comprehension has let you down again.  I said they are ALL partisan but I was surprised she was as open as she was about it in public.  I don't think I've heard Thomas whine like she did?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall accusing Thomas of whining in public, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I was talking about -- and I think you understood but perhaps were just choosing to be willfully obtuse -- was the broader term of shenanigans. In this specific example, you were lamenting that Sotomayor is "whining" so openly. I'm saying if that -- (again, "that" being a SC Justice "whining publicly) if that offends your delicate sensibilities...well this other fella might have you downright clutching your pearls.

I'm honestly kind of surprised you weren't able to follow along on that one, it seems like an incredibly simple concept.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 02, 2024, 09:42:56 AM »

He's openly bitched and moaned about being underpaid, but he's too lazy to go get a better job.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 02, 2024, 12:44:32 PM »

He's openly bitched and moaned about being underpaid, but he's too lazy to go get a better job.

Well, he seems to have picked up a side hustle. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 02, 2024, 02:45:54 PM »

rough ridin' ironic

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 02, 2024, 04:22:40 PM »

rough ridin' ironic

ok but that's totally different, you guys