Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 995943 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8850 on: May 25, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »
I have a friend who is relocating to a new continent for work, and his job is going to put him up in a hotel for up to 60 days while he searches for housing.

He is not a member of any hotel rewards program right now--how can he get the most bang for his (personal) buck after 60 stays? Another way of saying this--how can he obtain the most absurd amount of points/free stays in this situation?

depends on the city/hotel.

I'd probably suggest the most expensive but shoot for Hyatt/Marriott/SPG but if there's like a really nice Intercontinental or something go for it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: May 25, 2016, 05:06:20 PM »
do really nice intercontinental hotels exist?  i'm sure they do, but the two i've stayed in appeared to be last updated in the 80's (kc/plaza and dallas/downtown) and seem hugely overpriced.  the one on the plaza is very wtf.  they've pulled together $75M to redo the rooms but haven't announced a timeline. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
I think your friends company is going to direct bill this expense and he won't be able to collect any points.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »
I think your friends company is going to direct bill this expense and he won't be able to collect any points.

yes, i would expect that they would.  $12k in 2 months is a lot ($200/night * 60) but not Extreme Points

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:51 PM »
I'm not sure if his company will be billing directly or not, but was actually thinking more about earning credits (or at least status) simply based on the number of nights he will be staying. Which chain awards the best perks for a significant number of nights in a year?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »

his friend would absolutely still get the hotel award points regardless of whether or not is direct billed

do really nice intercontinental hotels exist?  i'm sure they do, but the two i've stayed in appeared to be last updated in the 80's (kc/plaza and dallas/downtown) and seem hugely overpriced.  the one on the plaza is very wtf.  they've pulled together $75M to redo the rooms but haven't announced a timeline. 

I stayed at one in Hong Kong that was pretty baller but yeah it was a tad dated. Not sure what continent he/she's going to, but Hyatts are usually better in Asia from my experience.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:33 AM »
his friend would absolutely still get the hotel award points regardless of whether or not is direct billed

nope, if the company has a negotiated direct bill through some systems you won't get points. you still get the points for the spend at the hotel charged to the room but not for the room itself.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: May 26, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »

nope, if the company has a negotiated direct bill through some systems you won't get points. you still get the points for the spend at the hotel charged to the room but not for the room itself.

Yes I guess this varies depending on the direct bill negotiation and specific property. When I had a long term direct bill at a Marriott I received points and night credits. It was a few years ago though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:59:37 AM by michigancat »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: May 26, 2016, 08:58:30 AM »
Also some companies retain ownership of any points/miles attained through frequent flier or hotel rewards programs. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: May 26, 2016, 09:02:32 AM »
Keep an eye out for summer promotions whatever brand you end up going with

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:29 AM »
as a rule of thumb if you get your hotel bill and the balance is $0 (not whatever the charge was with the balance shown as paid, just $0 total with no other charges itemized) you are probably going to get F'd out of some points. we only do this when we have huge meetings with like 500 attendees.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: May 26, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
Look at getting a CC with whatever brand it is if he is expensing it on his own.  With IHG for example, you get 10x pts and I'm sure it's similar with other chains. 

If his company is doing a direct bill, he should call before he arrives and see if the hotel can give him the points anyways.  He won't get them on the bill, but they could just credit him with a crap ton of points.  Doing it prior to arrival makes them think he will change and just say something along the lines of "Chain X said they would give me points but I prefer to stay with your chain." 

If he gets to choose the property he is staying at, I doubt it will be direct bill as there is no established relationship.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »
:flush:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8865 on: May 26, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
But speaking of alaska, now that I'm back on track with having all the requisite chase cards and can be back in the game, I've canceled my alaska card before the first annual fee hits.  I haven't yet applied for a new one because it was this time last year that the bonus jumped to 50K.  So if you see anything about that coming around again, or something definitive that it won't, let me know.  T-Y.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
Got the 100k Marriott Biz card on the way. hopefully there's some short term awesome transfer oppys between them and spg to take advantage of.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: May 27, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
I have a friend who is relocating to a new continent for work, and his job is going to put him up in a hotel for up to 60 days while he searches for housing.

He is not a member of any hotel rewards program right now--how can he get the most bang for his (personal) buck after 60 stays? Another way of saying this--how can he obtain the most absurd amount of points/free stays in this situation?

Turns out this guy is booking all his own travel and getting it reimbursed, and he gets up to $225/night. I told him to get a Hyatt card and then knock out 60 straight Hyatt stays--he should end up with over 100k Hyatt points.

I'm maxed out w/ Chase, have two companion passes, and have an Amex platinum. What should I do next?

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: May 31, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »
when my wife was in the hospital in Switzerland I promised her that I would let her choose our next vacation anywhere in the world.  anyway she has chosen to go back to Kauai!   :excited:

my question really is, can I get the Hyatt cards again?  I know there was talk about the 5/24 rule applying to those moving forward but my life has been insane for three months and I haven't kept up on any of this stuff.  we're definitely over 5 in the last 24.  :dunno:

otherwise I have 120k UR points I can use to book the hotel I suppose, but I'd rather get the free nights with the cards since there's more value and then use the UR points to fill in the last 2-3 nights.  :dunno:

unfortunately I missed out on the great hyatt status match like six months ago but I may email them to beg again because last time I was matched to my marriott status and we got a sweet upgrade.  :dunno:

have a couple hundred thousand AA miles so that's how we'll get there unless someone knows of a better flight option to get there with my UR points  :dunno:

:dunno:
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: June 01, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »
Use the UR points to transfer to Hyatt. AA points to fly there. no on status match. some mixed signals on the 5/24 but Lucky believes the Hyatt may still be in the clear:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/05/25/chase-credit-card-denied/

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: June 01, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
as a rule of thumb if you get your hotel bill and the balance is $0 (not whatever the charge was with the balance shown as paid, just $0 total with no other charges itemized) you are probably going to get F'd out of some points. we only do this when we have huge meetings with like 500 attendees.

Many times the meeting planner will get those points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
when I retire early from my IRL gig I'm going to be a meeting planner

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: June 01, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
Just booked a flight to Munich to Madrid and back home on delta/airfrance business class for less than $200.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: June 01, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
Just booked a flight to Munich to Madrid and back home on delta/airfrance business class for less than $200.

wut. when you say "back home" you mean KC? and no points involved? mistake fare?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: June 01, 2016, 08:17:54 AM »

wut
Points + they're having a huge sale on off season flights. Going to Madrid in late October is not exactly a prime time flight.