Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 954941 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2775 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »
Anyway... Who is getting bruced? Omari? Could he realize he  missed on Orrris and cut his losses? Maybe Omari and Orris because they are best buds?

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2776 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »

The weird thing about the La Salle game is that the offense didn't come through down the stretch, mainly because we didn't make plays. And there were numerous opportunities; just look at the last 7 minutes after we took our first lead on Rod's lay-up.

JO fouled, makes 1 of 2.
Shane missed a jumper, Angel oboarded, was fouled, missed the front end.
Rod missed 3, Shane oboarded, JO made put back.
Rod missed lay-up (contested, but still).
Tay missed lay-up, Gip missed tip-in.
Shane missed jumper, JO oboarded/fouled, went 1 of 2.
Rod missed 3.
JO missed jumper.
Angel missed prayer.

9 possessions. 0 turnovers. 3 trips to the FT line get 2 points. Missed lay-ups.

All year in a clutch situations we never had a stretch with so many missed plays and at the worst possible moment we really only made one. The last play is easy to point out because we all remember it well, but there were a ton of plays down the stretch this team simply didn't make.

And 2 possessions before that, we left points on the court too.  Rod gets steal, goes down and misses contested layup. Shane get OR, passes to Gip who misses easy layup while drawing a touch foul.   Gip made 1 of 2.    Gip made the first FT, so if Rod makes layup we get 2 pts, if he misses and Gip makes layup we get 3 pts (instead we get 1 pt because we missed 2 layups)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
Anyway... Who is getting bruced?

art and gippy, maybe?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2778 on: March 27, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
Anyway... Who is getting bruced?

art and gippy, maybe?

I cannot abide

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
The weird thing about the La Salle game is that the offense didn't come through down the stretch, mainly because we didn't make plays. And there were numerous opportunities; just look at the last 7 minutes after we took our first lead on Rod's lay-up.

JO fouled, makes 1 of 2.
Shane missed a jumper, Angel oboarded, was fouled, missed the front end.
Rod missed 3, Shane oboarded, JO made put back.
Rod missed lay-up (contested, but still).
Tay missed lay-up, Gip missed tip-in.
Shane missed jumper, JO oboarded/fouled, went 1 of 2.
Rod missed 3.
JO missed jumper.
Angel missed prayer.

9 possessions. 0 turnovers. 3 trips to the FT line get 2 points. Missed lay-ups.

All year in a clutch situations we never had a stretch with so many missed plays and at the worst possible moment we really only made one. The last play is easy to point out because we all remember it well, but there were a ton of plays down the stretch this team simply didn't make.

I want to cry after reading that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: March 27, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »
We're saying that oscar didn't trust this roster after he put it on the players to come up with a gametying play with 7 seconds left in a NCAA tournament game?

He panicked IMO.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: March 27, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »
Traditionally, up tempo offenses are thought to struggle in late game situations because they can't slow down and get a good shot.  You guys are hilarious with the crap you make up.

I agree that Angel isn't the kind of guy who bails you out.  The end of the La Salle game is exactly what you should expect from him.

No one is making crap up, its opinion and preference. Don't be so threatened.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »
so, we're overcoached now?  i love this talking point.

I don't think I've ever claimed otherwise. If we're gonna have a conversation about this don't tie other peoples talking points to mine.

For me any offense when a coach is standing on the sideline telling a player where he has to stand 6 months into the season is not ideal, that isn't at all controversial. I have been a staunch proponent of dribble drive. If I were building my ideal team, I would have a team that ran nothing but breaks, secondary breaks, and dribble drive motion when they had to. I don't think, no, I know that oscar Weber isn't they type of coach that would recruit the type of players or be willing to run this system. Again not controversial.

The problem with him not calling the time out against LaSalle is that it was unprecedented. That team was designed to be basketball robots, they didn't freelance ever. That was the wrong time to take the leash off.

let's pretend that this board doesn't have about 5 posters that shape the minds of damn near everyone else here.  ok, now lets stop pretending.

overcoached is good.  you should be proud.

this team was designed by frank to run a "make crap up" offense, oscar just spent the last several months reprogramming them. 

and i disagree that oscar took the leash off, his player had flashbacks to a bygone era of shitty offensive sets and ignored his coach.
undisciplined players do that.

I won't address your comments about Frank because I feel like you were flaming but for the rest...

I'm not trying to make a value judgment for everyone because ultimately this is eye of the beholder type stuff that we're talking about.

I'd like to say that overcoached isn't for me but that'd be an oversimplification. Like everyone else I love winning and if we win a lot I'll be down for whatever. However, for me and others this style of play gets old fast when the results aren't there and when things go wrong its easier to point a finger at the coach who chooses to treat coaching like he's programming a computer.

My problem with oscar and the other coaches who coach this way is that it seems to be limiting. I can't remember the last coach to win a title playing this low possession, structured offense style of basketball. Every single current coach with a national championship allows their playmakers to make plays without the constraints of always being in the right place. I can't ever recall one of these championship coaches doing a tournament game in March and them pointing on a spot on the floor where their player has to stand.

Now bringing this back to recruiting. These coaches who let their players play also have the luxury of having players capable of doing so, although IMO liberating players give them the ability to play better than they really are. Elijah Johnson and Nadir Tharpe would be awful running oscar's offense. When I read quotes attributed to oscar talking about now he can get the players he wants instead of the players other people want him to get, I cringe because I know he is placing a ceiling on what he and his program will accomplish. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »
i can't tell if you are you saying that oscar knows he can't recruit, so he has adopted this offense, or that he's so confident in this offense, that he chooses to recruit to it?

fwiw, snyder makes "players that fit" comments all the time.  i'm not comparing oscar to snyder. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
I can't believe two pages of muck was generated in a recruiting thread becuase somebody essentially said "good players make you better offensively"

rough ridin' genius.

yep. it's posts like those that drove off uw. great job guys.  :thumbs:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: March 28, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

uw left because he's a bitch.  if people want to find his recruiting updates, they don't have to look hard to find them elsewhere.  we're better off without his commentary.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #2786 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »

uw left because he's a bitch.  if people want to find his recruiting updates, they don't have to look hard to find them elsewhere.  we're better off without his commentary.

I agree. 

Also, those posts are actually more entertaining than oscar’s 2013 recruiting.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

my post was just to laugh at the recent clams posts in this thread because he thinks that i'm the one that ran off uw (even though i wasn't) due to posting non recruiting stuff in the recruiting threads and then now he's the one doing it. oh well. good try daris.  :thumbs:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: March 28, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

my post was just to laugh at the recent clams posts in this thread because he thinks that i'm the one that ran off uw (even though i wasn't) due to posting non recruiting stuff in the recruiting threads and then now he's the one doing it. oh well. good try daris.  :thumbs:

definitely a good try daris, i don't think uw leaving was anyone's fault but his own though.  :thumbs: 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »

definitely a good try daris, i don't think uw leaving was anyone's fault but his own though.  :thumbs:

i'm just such a garbage poster anymore that sometimes i don't even know why i bother. almost as sad as our offense would be in a end of the shot clock situation without angel around to bail us out or something. oh how the mighty have fallen. i mean i really used to be pretty good, you know?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
chin up daris   :thumbs:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
I really like Foster.  Not sure if its fully justified in his awesomeness, but an athletic 2 could be good for our team.  I am really concerned about PG for the future

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
I really like Foster.  Not sure if its fully justified in his awesomeness, but an athletic 2 could be good for our team.  I am really concerned about PG for the future

I like our PG recruit other than the fact he can't play for like rough ridin' ever.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

I like our PG recruit other than the fact he can't play for like rough ridin' ever.

Thomas? Haven't seen enough of him to be excited.  Not excited about 6ft 9in centers though.  I am hoping that Weber's drop off was associated more with PG play than anything else.

I appreciate using strong 6'8"ish centers for a purpose, but JO showed how you need to have a seven footer (or close) guy to step in against certain teams.  Not having that option really worries me.

Also, really want the Seton Hall kid.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 28, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »
someone explain to me why I should be more excited about these guys than Clent Stewart or Curtis Allen.

catzacker

« Reply #2796 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
someone explain to me why I should be more excited about these guys than Clent Stewart or Curtis Allen.

they haven't failed yet?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »

because you love k-state hoops!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 28, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »

They've shown an ounce of athleticism, which Clent Stewart never could

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 28, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

They've shown an ounce of athleticism, which Clent Stewart never could

+love of k-state hoops