Author Topic: Selection Committee Rankings  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Selection Committee Rankings
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
Personally, I think we should just have a vicious, Hunger Games style rumble between mascots, and the final four survivors get to have their teams compete for the national title.

I personally want to see the WKU hilltopper thing beat the ever loving crap out of Lil Red.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »
Personally, I think we should just have a vicious, Hunger Games style rumble between mascots, and the final four survivors get to have their teams compete for the national title.

I personally want to see the WKU hilltopper thing beat the ever loving crap out of Lil Red.

If I were Nebraska, I would fill Lil' Red with mustard gas. Talk about a defense mechanism!

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
My biggest gripe with the committee process is definitely the lack of transparency. I mean, if dolts like Kellis Robinette have to make their ballots public for an irrelevant AP poll, then surely the committee votes for the playoff teams should be made public.

I understand that the whole purpose of the playoff is to make sure that the big dogs can keep the little guys on the outside looking in, but shouldn't they at least toss a bone in the general direction of fairness? The lack of transparency is going to cause way more drama than necessary. 

Yeah undefeated Marshall, we considered you but our committee only voted you as the 19th best team. Did anyone vote for you to be in one of the four playoff spots? Well, I can't tell you that, that's a secret! Did anyone vote for you to be higher than 19th? Sorry, I can't tell you that either. All I can say is that we looked at your results and magically put you at #19. *shrug*

Sorry 11-1 Big 12 Champ K-State you didn't make the playoff, but 11-1 SEC West  Division runner up Ole Miss did. Sorry, I'm not going to tell you how close you were because that's none of your business. All you need to know is that you weren't good enough. Now go play in that sandbox over there and let the adults have some peace and quiet for a while.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
You should stick to asking if we have money for vanier 2, cause that post was bad
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
It's just a means to an end which is an expanded playoff.  They will go to 8 after the 4 proves to be profitable. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Honest question, why didn't they want to use the BCS formula to choose the top 4 teams instead of the the top 2? The committee seems like a needless complication.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
Because they couldn't get the stupid computers to pick 3 SEC teams

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
I like the idea (not practiced to my knowledge) of blank names and resume only. But what's the barometer? They're has to be some baseline for who is good, sos, etc.  There has to be some unbiased ranking system to say team x beat team y and team y is good.

If not, you go off record alone
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
I like the idea (not practiced to my knowledge) of blank names and resume only. But what's the barometer? They're has to be some baseline for who is good, sos, etc.  There has to be some unbiased ranking system to say team x beat team y and team y is good.

It's pronounced thermometer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:32 PM »
I don't think there's evidence that anyone but the sec would benefit from an unreasonable number of sec teams in the playoff.

Also, the selection should be made by a computer with a formula that is public.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:12 AM »
If it comes down to Condoleezza Rice the Cats are in for sure

She doesn't know her head from her ass about FB. Couldn't believe they put her on her. Must of tried to cover the minority/women requirement w/ one person. Failed on both accounts!

Try gopowercat.com, you'll like it much better there, if you can afford the $10/month

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
Assuming they haven't just come out and said as much, it is pretty obvious the selection committee is intended to emulate the NCAA Tournament selection committee.  Obviously when you're only picking four teams there will be significantly more controversy, but I think the main impetus behind the committee is that basketball selection committee has been far less criticized than the BCS.

What people seem to already forget about the BCS is that it suffers from two serious issues: (1) the programs themselves still depend on the human element and cannot be perfected (i.e., still subjective, people just pretend its not because the subjectivity happens on the front end); and (2) the polls making up part of the score allow for people who actually have skin in the game to affect the results, which is messed up.  Even though what he did wasn't AS egregious, a few years ago when Nick Saban wanted to keep OSU out of the championship game, he could have left them off his ballot entirely.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »

It's pronounced thermometer.
Elite Cosmo Kramer reference

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
It will be equally as good as the basketball committee and infinitely better than letting jock sniffing sports journalists decide.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »
they'll do a great job. the BCS did a pretty great job as well. everyone will bitch about bias and SEC and ESPN and a bunch of small timey bullshit and I'll laugh at those people. circle of life.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
2011 was not a great job

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »
2011 was not a great job

it got it right

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Having a coaches vote be part of the bcs was pretty dumb tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
The BCS did the championship games alright but they mumped up the rest of the matchups plenty.

My hopes for the committee:

-Reward a tough non-con.  It will encourage better games and help the sport.  Football will be much better if all the teams tried to have the best résumé and not just be undefeated.  (This isn't to prop K-State up for playing Auburn as I realize in most years that this criteria wouldn't benefit K-State).

-Rank based on résumé, not hypotheticals and "eye tests."

I don't like 2 teams in from the same conference as it devalues the regular season.  Hypothetically, if Miss St beat Ole Miss in the regular season, I don't see why they should have to do it again in the playoff.  That said, I don't know what the solution is as the most deserving teams deserve to get in.  I guess I would be for a rule saying that a conference can't play itself in the semis or something as that may help.  If they both win the semis, than maybe Ole Miss has earned another shot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
BCS formula had nothing to do with the non-championship game. Those were all selected by game committees. BCS formula just picked the top two.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
Its so weird how people talk about the playoff committee like its the rough ridin' council of Trent. It's college football. It's not that hard to judge. We do it pretty well on here and half of us are retards.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
Yeah, I could get it correct 100% of the time. I'm not a whiny homer though.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
Yeah you could easily do it sd

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
BCS formula had nothing to do with the non-championship game. Those were all selected by game committees. BCS formula just picked the top two.

There were rules regarding the formula and who they had to/could pick, particularly towards the end.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »
2011 was bullshit but only because it made lsu play a team they already beat on the road, not because the two teams weren't the best.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.